cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

G614 blow out on Friday

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Just a reminder that it doesn't have to be hot weather or low air pressures to blow out a tire. This one happened after I was 2 miles down a two lane road running 45 mph and with a state trooper behind me:D when there was a loud BOOM. I had just looked at the TPMS and all pressures and temps were good as they were all in the high 80* range when it blew. I was in a right hand curve and I don't recall anything in the roadway and the trooper said he saw nothing either, but still could have been a roads hazard that got it. I was able to get the rig slowed down very quickly and had to limp along about 305 mph for about 3/4 of a mile to be able to get her off the roadway. The trooper turned on his lights while behind me to warn traffic of the slow moving vehicle. I was able to find an old abandoned farm with a long driveway and a turn around that I was able to get into. Lifted the rig with the LevelUp system and my wife and son were a bit behind me. My partner and her husband were at the campground already about 5 miles away so they came and changed it for me. My son just had surgery last week and couldn't lift and I'm recovering from a back injury sustained 11 days ago. Even though it was a blow out, I'm thankful it wasn't on the interstate that I'd just come off of, that friends were close by and that the rig had NO DAMAGE to it as the tire stayed intact. Not going to get into which tire is better, but our rig came with these and the tire in question was made the 46th week of 2015. It's an odd blowout, and Goodyear is going to look at it, but not expecting them to do anything. Hopefully someone has one around here this week. Just a reminder, we can do everything right and go overboard according to some with the TPMS and such, and it still happens. The pressures had been checked prior to leaving home when the lugs were torqued. It's just one of those things that happens when we own these rigs. Keep an eye out as it can happen at any time. I was extremely lucky with this one.

2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4
56 REPLIES 56

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"With an 18,000 GVW you are either over or right on the edge with any G rated tire."

Not as likely as you would think since most toyhaulers are triple axles, so you're really looking at less than 5000 lbs. per axle. With my triple axle 18,000 GVWR triple axle, I could actually run "E" rated LT tires and be within my actual weighed axle loads.

Indeed you are correct. I did not account for a triple axle configuration.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"With an 18,000 GVW you are either over or right on the edge with any G rated tire."

Not as likely as you would think since most toyhaulers are triple axles, so you're really looking at less than 5000 lbs. per axle. With my triple axle 18,000 GVWR triple axle, I could actually run "E" rated LT tires and be within my actual weighed axle loads.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
TWZMYJP wrote:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm apparently not very good at searching this forum... Where would I find good information on the pros and cons of switching to a higher quality 16" tire like the S637's versus swapping over to a 17.5" tire/wheel combo for my ~18,000lb toy hauler?

I am currently operating an RV that has a 16,600 GVW, and equipped with the Goodyear G614's which are G-rated.

I am going to change out of those for the H-rated S637 17.5 tire.

The G614 has a weight rating around 3750 per tire for a total of 15,000. The Sailun equivalent in the same size (235/85R16) has even less: 3640 for a total of 14,560.

With my current G-rated tires, I am probably still within the weight rating; but I want a better safety margin.

With an 18,000 GVW you are either over or right on the edge with any G rated tire.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The search feature on this web isn't much.
You will get more input by starting your own thread on your subject.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm apparently not very good at searching this forum... Where would I find good information on the pros and cons of switching to a higher quality 16" tire like the S637's versus swapping over to a 17.5" tire/wheel combo for my ~18,000lb toy hauler?
'18 Jayco Alante 31R

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
nremtp143 wrote:
I got an email with a case number from Goodyear late today and will be following up tomorrow in between doc visits hopefully.

I ran a set of G614โ€™s , at the time they were pretty much the only game in town. Knowing all the issues they had I was always wondering when one was going to blow. IMO thereโ€™s not a lot of consolation in knowing they MAY repair damage or replace the tire. I hope they take care of you , itโ€™s unfortunate these tires put us thru this.

I have since replaced the G614โ€™s with the Sailun S637 . I fell more comfortable with the Sailun , with the fact they have a great track record so far. Good luck with Goodyear

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Good everyone and RV is ok! I wonder if you could have scrubbed the tire on a curb at some time when turning possibly causing the blowout. I had 2 flats on mine about 100miles down the road after scrubbing the sidewalls against a curb at a tollbooth so it happens.

Thanks. If it had been on the door side of the camper, I might say that was a possibility, but this was on the left front. Who knows though. The camper was brought from Indiana to here for delivery and then was taken back to the factory and back here during the frame fiasco. They bent the rear hitch on both sides either taking it back or delivering it back here, so it is possible that it was done then and was just time for it to show itself.
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
I got an email with a case number from Goodyear late today and will be following up tomorrow in between doc visits hopefully.
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Only 2.5 years old? He said they mounted them in 2012, so that makes them coming up on 6 years old. Or were you only counting the time they're actually in use? ๐Ÿ™‚
???? 4615!

About 26 months old. Wow !!!!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
DHCamper wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Take my advice and call GY directly and ask For the number of the area GY Rep.

He will most likely have you take it to a GY owned Dealer!!!

He has control of what they will charge you for a replacement. If anything!

Date code looks like it was made November of 2015.

That is new enough to have them look at it.

This kind of shoots down your claim of 2007, and before. We continually hear about G614 failures, and yet people still keep buying them, and paying twice.

Some have finally got smart, and bought Sailun S637's for their heavy fifth wheels, and some have not.

There is no denying the fact Goodyear continues to have a history of failures with these G614's. I know , I know they pay for damages, big deal. I would just as soon not be sitting on the side of the road, putting me, and my family in harms way on some busy highway.

I am sure you read what the OP had to say, he was lucky he had a trooper to assist.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Only 2.5 years old? He said they mounted them in 2012, so that makes them coming up on 6 years old. Or were you only counting the time they're actually in use? ๐Ÿ™‚
???? 4615!
Okay, let's get this straightened out. You're referring to the date code on the OP's tires. My statement about them being mounted in 2012 was referencing 5thWheel of Fortune's question about his tires which were mounted in 2012. The question "How much longer would you push these tires?" was about his tires, not the OP's tires.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Good everyone and RV is ok! I wonder if you could have scrubbed the tire on a curb at some time when turning possibly causing the blowout. I had 2 flats on mine about 100miles down the road after scrubbing the sidewalls against a curb at a tollbooth so it happens.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Planning wrote:
Medic 143,

What pressure do you use in your tires?

I run 110psi cold.
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
???? 4615!