cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

G614 blow out on Friday

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Just a reminder that it doesn't have to be hot weather or low air pressures to blow out a tire. This one happened after I was 2 miles down a two lane road running 45 mph and with a state trooper behind me:D when there was a loud BOOM. I had just looked at the TPMS and all pressures and temps were good as they were all in the high 80* range when it blew. I was in a right hand curve and I don't recall anything in the roadway and the trooper said he saw nothing either, but still could have been a roads hazard that got it. I was able to get the rig slowed down very quickly and had to limp along about 305 mph for about 3/4 of a mile to be able to get her off the roadway. The trooper turned on his lights while behind me to warn traffic of the slow moving vehicle. I was able to find an old abandoned farm with a long driveway and a turn around that I was able to get into. Lifted the rig with the LevelUp system and my wife and son were a bit behind me. My partner and her husband were at the campground already about 5 miles away so they came and changed it for me. My son just had surgery last week and couldn't lift and I'm recovering from a back injury sustained 11 days ago. Even though it was a blow out, I'm thankful it wasn't on the interstate that I'd just come off of, that friends were close by and that the rig had NO DAMAGE to it as the tire stayed intact. Not going to get into which tire is better, but our rig came with these and the tire in question was made the 46th week of 2015. It's an odd blowout, and Goodyear is going to look at it, but not expecting them to do anything. Hopefully someone has one around here this week. Just a reminder, we can do everything right and go overboard according to some with the TPMS and such, and it still happens. The pressures had been checked prior to leaving home when the lugs were torqued. It's just one of those things that happens when we own these rigs. Keep an eye out as it can happen at any time. I was extremely lucky with this one.

2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4
56 REPLIES 56

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I use to have Goodyear G614 on my trailer but 3 of them blow up.That was back in 2007.I replace with Michelin RIB but one blow up.Now I got Sailun for 4 years and no more problem.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:
G614 Tire---
I have had experience with GY tire issues. Good Year's warranty has been great. My tire was replaced (new and no cost to me) and all damage to the side of my trailer was paid for by Good Year. Good Year engineers called me and determined that the GY tires that came with my new trailer were D rated and they recommended going to the G949RSA "G" rated 235/85R16 tire and I have not had one tire problem since. I also replace all my tires every 5 to 6 years regardless of their condition.

Jump from D to G?! =Somebody= FUBAR'd that tire selection. I'd say you were =way= under-tired from the factory (assuming the trailer's placarded for D tires) or someone at the tire shop saw you coming and sold you way more tire and wheel than you really need.

My new Holiday Rambler came with D rated tires. After blowing 4 of these tires, Good Year contacted me, replaced all 4 tires and paid for damage to my trailer ($1200) and then recommended that I changed to GY G rated tires. GY paid for 4 new G rated tires. I have have not had one single tire problem since that change. I also buy 4 new GY G rated tires every 5 to 6 years regardless how the tires look.

Lyle

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Wow, I've had a couple blowouts and neither looked like that one. That really looks like some kind of sidewall damage caused the blowout. Pretty weird looking. Replace them with Sailuns and forget about any more tire trouble.

Are you saying Sailun tires can't have a road hazard puncture?
Just because the Goodyear tires don't have the same trouble-free reputation as the Sailun tires, don't get your knickers in a twist. I'm referring strictly to tire quality issues.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Wow, I've had a couple blowouts and neither looked like that one. That really looks like some kind of sidewall damage caused the blowout. Pretty weird looking. Replace them with Sailuns and forget about any more tire trouble.

sounds like that is what he said. Not true but would be great if so.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, I can see the dirt has rubbed on the sidewall, but I was referring to the huge hole in the sidewall, and no tread separation that I can see. It looks like a literal "blowout". ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

Maybe the ridge of the grass rubbed the sidewall because it was flat. Take another look. Just a guess for me.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
5thWheel of Fortune wrote:
How much longer would you push these tires?
Do you mean because of age? They're only 2.5 years old. I wouldn't even consider replacing at that age.

FWIW, the tires on my TH are 5.5 years old and I'm not going to replace them soon. However, it's a tri-axle and they are LTs.
Only 2.5 years old? He said they mounted them in 2012, so that makes them coming up on 6 years old. Or were you only counting the time they're actually in use? ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
5thWheel of Fortune wrote:
How much longer would you push these tires?
Do you mean because of age? They're only 2.5 years old. I wouldn't even consider replacing at that age.

FWIW, the tires on my TH are 5.5 years old and I'm not going to replace them soon. However, it's a tri-axle and they are LTs.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

5thWheel_of__Fo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. We have a set of G-614's on our Mobile Suites installed new Oct, 2012. Mostly driven in summer months, but otherwise sits in enclosed Texas storage 8-9 months per year. No issues, tires look great, currently only ~20k miles, and balanced/rotated every 10k. How much longer would you push these tires?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
j2catfish wrote:
I have had more than my share of blow outs using the GY tires. Both my rigs came with load range "G" from the factory. Of course my Tetons are/were heavy. I ended up changing to load range "H" on 17.5" rims on both rigs. No mo problems. I learned early on to check and re-check air pressure daily and did install a TPMS. Sure feels good to travel on the new wheels and tires with out worry. NOTE: new tires are NOT GY although GY made all my side repairs and tire replacements for free. Good folks to work with.
Catfish

I'm betting yours were were dated early 07 and prior! Since they have been VERY dependable.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:
G614 Tire---
I have had experience with GY tire issues. Good Year's warranty has been great. My tire was replaced (new and no cost to me) and all damage to the side of my trailer was paid for by Good Year. Good Year engineers called me and determined that the GY tires that came with my new trailer were D rated and they recommended going to the G949RSA "G" rated 235/85R16 tire and I have not had one tire problem since. I also replace all my tires every 5 to 6 years regardless of their condition.

Jump from D to G?! =Somebody= FUBAR'd that tire selection. I'd say you were =way= under-tired from the factory (assuming the trailer's placarded for D tires) or someone at the tire shop saw you coming and sold you way more tire and wheel than you really need.

Lyle

That or someone was mistaken, and they were E rated, and changed to G .

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MarkTwain wrote:
G614 Tire---

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

j2catfish
Explorer
Explorer
I have had more than my share of blow outs using the GY tires. Both my rigs came with load range "G" from the factory. Of course my Tetons are/were heavy. I ended up changing to load range "H" on 17.5" rims on both rigs. No mo problems. I learned early on to check and re-check air pressure daily and did install a TPMS. Sure feels good to travel on the new wheels and tires with out worry. NOTE: new tires are NOT GY although GY made all my side repairs and tire replacements for free. Good folks to work with.
Catfish
K3500; Teton Homes 5er;
Native Texan - Transplanted Tar Heel
Retired USMC Mustang (LDO)
Semper Fi !