Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas grill hookup

paulm235
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone.
I'm trying to figure out what type of hose and connectors I need to attach my portable gas grill to the aux gas connector on the botton side of our Cougar 327res 5th wheel. It's hard to tell what I should be looking for. Can anyone tell me what exactly I need?
Thanks!
2 dogs
06 Chevy Silverado LT3 2500HD CC SB D/A
MBRP Turbo Back, Airaid Intake, Predator Tuner
50gal Transfer Flow in bed aux fuel tank
Firestone Ride Rite Air bags
PullRite SuperGlide 14K hitch
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES
8 REPLIES 8

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel Portable Grill, that hooks directly to the aux port. I love it, and it cooks great. I can grill better on it than I can on my Weber at home. The Olympian came with a hose to hook it up.

Mark
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

paulm235
Explorer
Explorer
Bighorns wrote:
paulm235 wrote:
Thanks Bighorns! How did you handle the pressure regulator on the grill? What did you do to get the other end connected to the grill. I just ordered a portable grill so I haven't seen it yet. I do know it has the regultor on it as I think most do. I'm curious as to how you removed the regulator...cut it off, can you unscrew it, etc.? I'm guessing it's porbably a per grill issue. How did you handle yours?

I was able to just unscrew my regulator and then screw the new quick connect on, and I also had a longer hose made that I could screw the quick adapters onto and be able to set my grill in different places if needed. I have a weber Q grill, but it is probably different from grill to grill on what you have to do. If I have time to go to my storage I will take som pictures and post them for you.

Thanks again Bighorns. Don't go out of your way. The grill I ordered should come Tuesday and what you just told me will give me a better idea of what to look for. I'll update after it comes.
2 dogs

Bighorns
Explorer
Explorer
paulm235 wrote:
Thanks Bighorns! How did you handle the pressure regulator on the grill? What did you do to get the other end connected to the grill. I just ordered a portable grill so I haven't seen it yet. I do know it has the regultor on it as I think most do. I'm curious as to how you removed the regulator...cut it off, can you unscrew it, etc.? I'm guessing it's porbably a per grill issue. How did you handle yours?

I was able to just unscrew my regulator and then screw the new quick connect on, and I also had a longer hose made that I could screw the quick adapters onto and be able to set my grill in different places if needed. I have a weber Q grill, but it is probably different from grill to grill on what you have to do. If I have time to go to my storage I will take som pictures and post them for you.
2011 Duramax 3500HD Dually
2012 Keystone Cougar 330RBK

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've read, there are a few RV grills that work directly from the 11" aux. connector. You might want to check out your grill and see if it's one of them. Otherwise you have to get rid of the grill reg. and hope that it's designed for 11" orifice pressure. There are some that aren't, like my Olympian grill, which requires 15" for high-fire. I had to tap between the 1st and 2nd stages of the tank changeover/reg. where I got 18 psi and that was perfect for my grill with it's regulator intact. Then you need some sort of manual needle valve to replace the RV grill reg/control for burner control otherwise you'll have nothing but high-fire.
Sooo, I'm also curious how guys handle that conversion. It might be a lot less brain damage to just buy a grill that operates on 11" w.c. supply pressure.
The only other option I can think of is to buy one of those Rube Goldgerg extend-a-hose kits so you'll have tank psi to the RV grill reg/control. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

paulm235
Explorer
Explorer
2 dogs

Bighorns
Explorer
Explorer
Try this website. It is where I bought mine. I had to get the model 250 quick connects for mine and I have a 2012 Keystone Cougar.

http://caloreequipment.com/products/cl/recreational-vehicle-lp-hoses-quick-disconnects.html
2011 Duramax 3500HD Dually
2012 Keystone Cougar 330RBK

paulm235
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarify...remove the hose that has the regulator buy a standard propane supply hose with whatever connection I need to the grill then on the other end attach the correct quick connect (or does it come with the hose) that will fit the aux gas supply hookup on the camper?
Looking online I don't see the 2 choices for the quick connectors. It just shows the one basic connector with different hose lenghts...
Example: Hose and connector
2 dogs

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
That aux gas supply is low pressure, so you will need to remove the regulator already on the grill. Then you need the male quick connect fitting and suitable hose. Note that there are two quick connect systems in use, and although they LOOK to the eye identical, they are quite incompatible. When I hooked up my grill, I bought one of each, found the one that worked, and returned the other.

As for all the plumbing fittings, depends on your grill. The hose is a standard propane supply hose.