cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gel Coat Cracking

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
On my new 5th wheel, I have an area on the nose where there are spider cracks. There is also a slight bump where the cracks are. Obviously when the manufacturer installed the nose, it came in contact with something from the back side causing this issue. You can't feel the cracks when running your fingers over them but I worry about them becoming larger as stress occurs while rolling down the road. Is this something I should get repaired under the warranty or is it cosmetic and nothing to really worry about. You can't even see the cracks from the ground. I only discovered them when I was waxing the nose. My main concerns are the cracks expanding or enlarging as stated earlier and water infiltration in the future.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
18 REPLIES 18

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would winterize before taking to the dealer. No telling how long they will have it. Better safe than sorry. Good luck with the repair.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
have some one look at the trailer going down the road from the back seat and see if the front cap is flexing...I see everyone decided to ignore my actual experience with this type of problem. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I have a few hairline cracks in the front gelcoat around the clearance lights, and a little in one spot where the cap meets the roof. It was like this when purchased new 8/12. I am not worried about mine, and it hasn't worsened at all over the years.

If you have a protruding bump in the cap, where cracks are, there could be an issue underneath. In any case, I'd bring to dealers attention, and contact manufacturer myself, to see what they have to say.

Jerry

The dealer said repair would be covered under warranty so I'm going to have them do whatever they think is necessary. There are actually two areas where I have found spider cracks and both have the protruding bumps. After our Labor Day camping trip I'll be making an appointment. I'm hoping the bumps turn out to be nothing to worry about.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have a few hairline cracks in the front gelcoat around the clearance lights, and a little in one spot where the cap meets the roof. It was like this when purchased new 8/12. I am not worried about mine, and it hasn't worsened at all over the years.

If you have a protruding bump in the cap, where cracks are, there could be an issue underneath. In any case, I'd bring to dealers attention, and contact manufacturer myself, to see what they have to say.

Jerry

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
is this a full body paint that the cracks are on?

It's on the nose piece of my 5th wheel just below the graphics where the arrow is in this photo. I don't know what you mean by full body paint. The protruding bump is in the nose piece itself and the cracks are are in the Gel Coat

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
is this a full body paint that the cracks are on?
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
When I had cracks like that on my last TT it was the front cap flex (caving in) from the wind pressure.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
My 2018 Cougar has some delamination going on with the fully fiberglass cap. Looks like they screwed up the resin mix somehow. There are raised areas or bumps in a few places, very hard to press them down.

They had the nerve to say it could be due to water damage from a bad roof seal !

The darn cap is 100% fiberglass, you could throw it in a lake for a month without hurting it.

I'm trying to get a completely new cap from Keystone, my fear is, sure they can grind down the blisters and do a good job repainting it but I'll guarantee you more bumps will appear later on down the road. And we will be playing wack-a-mole for the life of the camper.

Reminds me of the time I had an old sailboat, it had blisters on the bottom of the hull. I spent 3 weekends with and angle grinder eliminating them. Then had to lay another layer of fiberglass cloth with a barrier coat, fun times.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Rob,

I think your on the right path w/ the dealer and having them look at it after LD w/e. For all tense and purposes, camping season is winding down and scheduling a date to bring "her" in is a good idea. In doing so, they can see what the problem is, contact the mfr and if possible get fixed ASAP cuz I'm sure you want to get into storage by end of Oct. One fly in the ointment tho is if you have any trips planned between LD w/e and end of Oct. But by all means, get this addressed while it's still under warranty.

Fortunately this year the LD trip is our last of the season. Normally we do a couple trips after LD but we decided not to this year because of other commitments so in that regard this works out good.

Get it looked at, documented, and fixed while under warranty.... do not wait
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Rob,

I think your on the right path w/ the dealer and having them look at it after LD w/e. For all tense and purposes, camping season is winding down and scheduling a date to bring "her" in is a good idea. In doing so, they can see what the problem is, contact the mfr and if possible get fixed ASAP cuz I'm sure you want to get into storage by end of Oct. One fly in the ointment tho is if you have any trips planned between LD w/e and end of Oct. But by all means, get this addressed while it's still under warranty.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cosmetic or not, get it repaired.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I talked with the dealer. Because I have a Labor Day weekend camping trip planned, they want me to call them to set up an appointment date once I return home.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
downtheroad wrote:
These, "cracks," may be caused by a frame problem...flexing or even a faulty weld....hopefully not.

X2! OP's rig needs to be looked at =under= the cap to see if the "bump" is the cap resting on something it's not supposed to or if something's broken loose underneath. If =that's= not addressed, the surface repair won't hold and the cracks will just reappear.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member