cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator on while towing yay or nay

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
Can I run generator while towing and is it a good idea or not , also what would be the average gas usage on a 2hr drive running a/c and fridge.
22 REPLIES 22

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
rtaylor0830 wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
So what are we really talking about? An OEM LPG generator installed in the front compartment? I wouldn't have an issue with that. Worrying about how much it costs is a bit strange considering this entire RV thing is a frivolous non essential hobby anyway.
Now if it's a Honda generator in the back of the truck with wires running to the RV plug held up by coat hangers. Uh, no. If it's a Honda generator sitting on a cargo rack bolted to the rear sheet metal bumper, no again.
You're not doing this to keep your dogs cool, and just don't want to tell us, are you? ๐Ÿ™‚

Again I am not worried about cost i was using this as a chance to exercise the generator and did not want to put more gas than is needed that may just sit for a long time

Easy solution. Put what you think is enough gas in the generator, then add a bit. When you get to the campground let the generator run the AC until it runs out. Then hook up to shore power.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
That is the main reason that I have/carry a generator.
magic43

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
So what are we really talking about? An OEM LPG generator installed in the front compartment? I wouldn't have an issue with that. Worrying about how much it costs is a bit strange considering this entire RV thing is a frivolous non essential hobby anyway.
Now if it's a Honda generator in the back of the truck with wires running to the RV plug held up by coat hangers. Uh, no. If it's a Honda generator sitting on a cargo rack bolted to the rear sheet metal bumper, no again.
You're not doing this to keep your dogs cool, and just don't want to tell us, are you? ๐Ÿ™‚

Again I am not worried about cost i was using this as a chance to exercise the generator and did not want to put more gas than is needed that may just sit for a long time

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think the generator knows if you are driving or sitting still?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
I use my roof air when I travel with the generator. No issue to do it. 1/2 a gallon of diesel an hour.

What kind of a *FIFTH WHEEL* is a Beaver Contessa?..:h..

BTW - some *FIFTH WHEEL* owners carry their generators in the pickup bed.
And - yes OP, some run their gens from that location while going down the road......usually to cool the interior of the 5th prior to reaching their destination - when traveling in extremely hot areas..:C

~

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes we have as circumstances dictate, our Onan burns about a half gallon of unleaded an hour.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I've pulled for over two hours with my residential fridge off and everything is still cold upon arrival. Our 40' fiver cools down quickly even in the hot Alabama summer so for me running a generator while traveling is not worth it.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
rtaylor0830 wrote:

I am not worried about the money I am more worried about how much ga to put in the tank so it does not run out. Also I thought it would be a good way to make sure I run it once a month like they say you should.

If only 2 hours, just fill it up? Shut it down, fill up again and that's how much your gen uses.

I've run my Honda 3000 hooked to my house thru a gen switch for 18 hours before. Only used about 2.5 gallons.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
GMH wrote:
starcraft69 wrote:
There is a good thread on here about a rack built for the 5er hitch to secure genset while traveling and to secure it from theft.

Do you have a link to that thread? Thanks.

Ask and you will receive

Generator mount
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
There is a good thread on here about a rack built for the 5er hitch to secure genset while traveling and to secure it from theft.

Do you have a link to that thread? Thanks.

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
Who cares what the fuel consumption is?? If you feel you need to run it, then run it... If you care that much how much fuel it consumes, maybe you shouldn't run it??

Nothing wrong with running it while driving. Just if you feel you need to.

Good luck!

Mitch

I am not worried about the money I am more worried about how much ga to put in the tank so it does not run out. Also I thought it would be a good way to make sure I run it once a month like they say you should.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Who cares what the fuel consumption is?? If you feel you need to run it, then run it... If you care that much how much fuel it consumes, maybe you shouldn't run it??

Nothing wrong with running it while driving. Just if you feel you need to.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I run my generator when driving at times. If properly installed, no reason not to.

Hard to estimate fuel consumption without even knowing what fuel type you have. Diesel would be the most efficient, LP the least. Mine doesn't seem to care what load it is running, consumption is near a gallon per hour.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010