cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator on while towing yay or nay

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
Can I run generator while towing and is it a good idea or not , also what would be the average gas usage on a 2hr drive running a/c and fridge.
22 REPLIES 22

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
safety risks? not likely. MHs run their gennys all the time while on the road to keep their family comfy. The fuel cost is yours to weigh against comfort.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
No problem at all. As long as generator is secure. There is a good thread on here about a rack built for the 5er hitch to secure genset while traveling and to secure it from theft. GPH depends on genset and load
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I use my roof air when I travel with the generator. No issue to do it. 1/2 a gallon of diesel an hour.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Motorhomes and tour bus's do it all the time.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I will run the generator while towing if the weather dictates it. As for usage you didn't say what kind or size of generator so don't have a clue. My Onan 5500 burns between .5-1gal/hr depending on load. 1 AC would not be heavily loaded so figure in 2 hours maybe 1.5 gal.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Can I run generator while towing and is it a good idea or not , also what would be the average gas usage on a 2hr drive running a/c and fridge."

Why not run fridge on propane? And who wants to RV when it's so hot you need to run the RV's A/C when driving?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
rtaylor0830 wrote:
Can I run generator while towing and is it a good idea or not , also what would be the average gas usage on a 2hr drive running a/c and fridge.

Would not be my choice to run generator while traveling. Fridge will run off your propane while traveling.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I have run my generator quite a bit in really hot weather to try to keep the fiver from getting so hot before I stop but I am not sure I would even bother on a two hour trip