cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Shutdown Timer

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I was asked on another forum about a timer to shut down an RV generator which is an Onan 4000 microquiet. The man asked about a simple timer/relay combination that would allow a time to be set that would use the stop wire from the remote panel in the trailer to shut the generator down after a set time. He explained that he did not want the generator to run all night but shut down at a set time after they went to sleep. Anyone have any ideas on this? I was thinking of a battery powered timer that closed a relay to activate the stop circuit on the generator with a bypass switch so that you could run the generator as long as you want without having to reset the timer. Any ideas on this? I am not that electronically blessed...
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch
3 REPLIES 3

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
christopherglenn wrote:
are we talking minutes or hours, is it at a specific time every time, or x minutes after a button is pushed?

X minutes after the button is pushed. He would like to have the generator run for 2 to 3 hours then shut down. That way, if he wants to run it all day, he can let it run until he is ready for the timed shut down then press the button and in 2 to 3 hours it will shut down.
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
are we talking minutes or hours, is it at a specific time every time, or x minutes after a button is pushed?
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to put a remote switch in the bedroom. Works for us.
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide