cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generator switch.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
I have an ATS 301 line generator switch. I used it on my previous RV, 30 amp. I now have 50 amp, although use only the 30 amp adapter for generator and of course not running all the gadgets. It is for convenience only, micro, a/c etc as needed. So question at hand. Can the line gen switch be used with the 50 amp electrical system? Understand that a qualifier electrician should do the hook up and I will go that route. Thanks in advance, Jeff
4 REPLIES 4

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Connect the black hot transfer switch output to both of the 50 amp service black and red leads. White to white, green to green.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Wired correctly? 30 amp uses one hot lead, a neutral, and a ground! 50 amp uses two hot leads, one neutral,and a ground! Two vs one, I am not sure how too wire a switch with one hot to a circuit that requires two hot leads?

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
jffnkrn wrote:
I have an ATS 301 line generator switch. I used it on my previous RV, 30 amp. I now have 50 amp, although use only the 30 amp adapter for generator and of course not running all the gadgets. It is for convenience only, micro, a/c etc as needed. So question at hand. Can the line gen switch be used with the 50 amp electrical system? Understand that a qualifier electrician should do the hook up and I will go that route. Thanks in advance, Jeff

Wired correctly there would be no problem. The transfer switch doesn't care if you are hooked to a 30A receptacle or a 50. As I said, wired correctly.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

timflood
Explorer
Explorer
I would say NO, I am not a electrician. 30 amp uses 3 wires, 50 amp has 4 wires. This is the short answer. I am sure you will get a long one.
Tim & Brenda
2014 27-5L Arctic Fox
2018 King Ranch F350, 8 Ft Bed, 4x4
Stockton, Ca.