cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting into a 5th wheel

Dustin_Tx
Explorer
Explorer
My dad thinks if I get a 5th wheel is will be a big waste of money and I should just live in apartment until I'm done with grad school.

My reasoning for a 5th wheel is
to get OUT of apartments because the rent is high in this area and they are trashy. I have had a broken AC for 6 months.. they just blow me off in getting it fixed. I have major mold on my bathroom walls.. uuumm well get to it.
The last apartment told me the DAY I brought all my stuff that the unit was not ready and they had no alternatives.

The other complex was is being run into a section 8 ghetto palace.
at the end of the lease I own ZERO

I've had VERY iffy roomates in the past. this one is decent

With a FW I would pull it to the town that I will be attending grad school and not hassle with finding an apartment.

After grad school I can pull it onto the property and live in it while I'm building my house.

Yes, truck and trailer will be $80k but I see it working out better for me in the long run.
after 7 years it have paid for itself with the truck and then it is just money in my pocket my not waisting on rent.

FW negatives:
Upkeep, I'm budgeting a $1,500 a year for maintence like roof repair and calking, new valves and registration/ Insurance. Is this fair?

Again I'm about to turn 27 and have no kids, I'm not married. I'm still in college
Am I jumping off the wrong cliff?
32 REPLIES 32

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
If you are making $28K in interest you are at $1mil+ at today's rates. In my opinion you would be much farther ahead to purchase a condo. You may own the truck and trailer after school but they will be worth no where near your purchase price in 5-7 years. The real estate market is improving and you will most likely be able to sell the condo after without losing everything to depreciation and maybe even make a few bucks. From an investment or cost savings perspective I just do not see it penciling out.

HD_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Smart man and also it is your own place and some home owners will allow you to pay them some cash to park in their back yard or property and the after school use is fine as well very smart (Finance wise) do your thing and think of the future as you are.
2000 Volvo 420, 370 ISM Cummins,
10 Speed, Single Axle
2001 5th Wheel HR Presidential SKT 36.5

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Dustin_Tx wrote:
Given my situation, What would you do?

Go for it but 80 large seems a bit much unless you have twice the cash or more.

Get a 10yo 250/350/2500/3500 truck and maybe 15k for a well used trailer.
Possibly look around for a pair matched and ready to roll.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
First of all,if your dad thinks that buying a fifth wheel is a waste of money,he probably should no buy one.
He may need some money management advice from you.
Your plan sounds good to me,though I think that the money up front is more than you need to spend.Nice trailers and trucks are available for a lot less than what you are thinking of spending.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

itsabouttime
Explorer
Explorer
We full time in a fiver and have an old 99 F350 diesel truck. Together, they cost us less than $50k. I'm surprised that no one has suggested a smaller conventional trailer rather than a fifth wheel. You could get by with something considerably cheaper and pull it with a lighter (and cheaper) truck. Of course, there would be less space but it might be a little easier to care for (and pay for). To me, a used rig is the way to go. Let someone else take the depreciation and initial maintenance. Whatever you decide, do your homework and learn as much as you can from others mistakes.
By the way, good luck with the grad school.
Russ

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in a tag along my first year of college back in... lol... well, that's not important. But on my 19th birthday, my father who was a banker, sent me a birthday present; a check for $10, which was a lot of money back then. It was hand written on a pair of women's white cotton panties, size 44 with "Happy Birthday" prominently hand printed in the crotch... lol... HUGE! Well... with a great deal of trepidation and needing the money, I cashed it. Back then, cleared checks were hand stamped by the Federal Reserve. Never before nor since, have I seen so many "Cancelled" marks stamped on the back of a check... LOL. Oh, the embarrassment standing at the teller cage! I did manage to get out of the bank before they took pictures of the check. Yeah, it was returned and I carry that cancelled check with me today.:)

While attending school in FL. with such mild winters, I think buying a fifth wheel makes economical sense. Campgrounds around the FSU and U of F areas (there are not many) will run about $500-$550 per month for FHUs, cable TV, and WiFi internet. One BR apartments will run about $800/mo, 2 BR for $900/mo and 3 BRs run about $1200/mo and up, plus electric, etc. At least at the end of your education, regardless of the depreciation, you'll have SOMETHING to show for your living expenses other than a cigar box of receipts.

However, a Mobile Suites and HD is over-kill for what you need in FL temps. Hitchiker, Excel, Carriage, Alpenlite or Travel Supreme 5ers are considered good for 4 season use and would more than suffice. A 30'-34' fiver would be more than adequate and could be towed with a 350/3500 truck, which serves as a better chic magnet than a HD:B. Buying a good used truck and 5er, I can see cost of around 45-50k to meet your needs. Hurricane dodge-ball is always a possibility in FL. In '04, I bounced around like a pin-ball machine with 4 canes in the State. But, that's a rarity. MY F-350 diesel dually got me around just fine. Just my opinion. What ever your decision, good luck and travel safe.
RVn Full-time

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
I think you could definitely do it. I would look at smaller (or lighter FWs) that can still be used FT.

I would look at used 1-tons though as might be easier to resell (if required). I cannot fault you on the choice of a HD truck though. I do think it makes more sense than an apartment. Though a home purchase would also make sense if you could rent it after done with school.

You may be able to find a CG that could allow you to work camp for the cost of your space. You sound like you have a good work ethic.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Lot's of issues to consider. What climate will you be living in. Living in an RV at below freezing temps is problematic. Will there be an affordable campground available. A really big issue is depreciation of any RV. If you plan to keep it indefinitely and eventually use it for recreation, that's one thing but if you just want it for housing, then sell in a few years, the depreciation will cost you big time. We did buy a stationary trailer and live in it when I did grad school and that worked out very well.
Jayco-noslide

Dustin_Tx
Explorer
Explorer
My money earns me enough interest that I don't have to work if I live modestly. On a scholarship for school and the money brings me about $28k a year in interest.
This will not be my life savings here... In 3 years I will have made it back anyway.
Let me ask some of you oldies for financial advice.....HHHHAAAHHAAA
et2 ......??????
Cherry, thanks for the encouragement
Jayco, Yes I have though about that.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Dustin_Tx wrote:
Let me see a newer Dodge is $30k-$35K, a Ford about the same. With a Dodge you have front hub problems, bad front ends, Horrible AC's electrical issues. The Ford you have $$$$ if you go diesel with any year past a cherry 03 7.3. The 6.0, the 6.4 and the 6.7.. all have some issues that need to be addressed early and a HPFP on a 6.7 PSD, Ric did they finally cover yours? HHHAAAHHAA. that's sorry.
I will just post over on the escapees forum. This one is kinda lame. Later

Kids ... gotta love it.:R

cherrykiss3
Explorer
Explorer
As a mother of a son who wanted to go independent in his business 15 yr ago I know how you need support emotionally. I like your idea as a matter of fact. I think you have a lot more money than you are letting on! (Yes, my son is successful too BTW and everyone else told him not to go independent except for me. I encouraged him and I couldn't be prouder of him!).

I did not spend 80K on my set up. I got a used 1 ton dodge ram and bought a new 5th wheel last yr. I think you know how to budget your money much better than some "old people". I say go for it. If you are happy where you are living you will do better in your studies. Keep us updated.

Cherry

Dustin_Tx
Explorer
Explorer
Let me see a newer Dodge is $30k-$35K, a Ford about the same. With a Dodge you have front hub problems, bad front ends, Horrible AC's electrical issues. The Ford you have $$$$ if you go diesel with any year past a cherry 03 7.3. The 6.0, the 6.4 and the 6.7.. all have some issues that need to be addressed early and a HPFP on a 6.7 PSD, Ric did they finally cover yours? HHHAAAHHAA. that's sorry.
I will just post over on the escapees forum. This one is kinda lame. Later

Dustin_Tx
Explorer
Explorer
fla, I don't know very many people that left Texas State Unversity with a "good education" The teachers here are HORRIBLE. This town blows really.

So just keep renting these over priced roach infested section 8 style apartments. OK I got it.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Listen to your Father and slap you're English instructor in the mouth.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)