cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the camping fever again!

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 5er in my sig. We used it quite a good bit when we first got it, but then started renting a site at a state park by the month just to have a place to leave it and go to on the weekends. That was costing us about $4000.00/year. After about 3 years of doing that, we decided to build a pad on our land in the country. We built a 20 x 40 pad, put a septic tank, electricity, satellite television, and of course, water. This, plus the landscaping, set us back about $12,000.00 or about what we'd paid for the three years it was at a state park. At least this is ours now. Well, now after 3 years on our private pad, we put some money in refreshing our 5er with a new roof, rebuilt bedroom slide, and other things that needed touching up. It's ready for the road again, and we are taking our first "road" camping trip in about 3 years. It will only be a two night short trip, but we really want to get it back on the road. It's a great weekend "cottage on wheels" to escape to and get away from the hustle and bustle of work, but we did miss the trips to campgrounds.
Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition
6 REPLIES 6

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
We're opening up our camper this weekend. Looking forward to another camping season too. Last years trip out west (7600 miles) is still fresh.
We keep the camper year round at a long term campground that we like and works for us, but we still have a few short (~250 mile) trips planned for this year.
Like it was said, see the country or just get out of the house for a weekend.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
SpoiledRotten wrote:
I definitely relate to the NC Hauler. We are fixing it so we can pull in and out very easy. No more hard hookup with the sewer line. When I need to dump the tank, I'll pull out the Rhino flex like at a campground. That is one issue that kept me in one spot so long. Ever time I moved it, I had to add or remove some of the 4" PVC to get it hooked back up.

Sounds like you have a beautiful spot. The DW and I really love our spot. I'll try to post some pics soon.

I'll get some pictures...We have a graveled road that is rock solid and I had a pad put down also. Pad is only 12' X12', but we can add on and it's level..so when I back in... have MORE than enough room front to back and side to side to easily get 4 wheels on and unit is level without hardly doing anything...we just unhook and level a tad front to back, but not even much there, leave it plugged in so that we have stuff in fridge when we get there...Never had an issue, going on 3 years now.. Mow the yard, rake...heck, I enjoy it up there. I'll get some pictures...the river is beautiful ( used to fish it as a kid, brings back some great memories , and we're making new one's now:))

We do have a genny, Just in case, also have the Splendid washer/dryer combo that the wife loves as well as the Wingard HD satellite on roof of 5er......"home away from home":)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely relate to that, NC Hauler. We are fixing it so we can pull in and out very easy. No more hard hookup with the sewer line. When I need to dump the tank, I'll pull out the Rhino flex like at a campground. That is one issue that kept me in one spot so long. Ever time I moved it, I had to add or remove some of the 4" PVC to get it hooked back up.

Sounds like you have a beautiful spot. The DW and I really love ours. Here are a couple of pics of our little 2.5 acre spot.

Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a little over 1/2 acre of land on Greenbriar River in Pence Springs West Virginia. Beautiful location in the mountains, kids and grandkids can all go tubing, fishing, swimming, whatever...Have a 50amp hook up, two 30's, few 110 receptacles, city water, (haven't figured that one out, but I love it), and a septic system that is plumbed for two campers. We take 5er' up in April and have left it till after Thanksgiving...We'll visit other places from there with our 5er, but a lot of times, we just make the trip from our home in NC to our camp in WV in the wife's car with our two Boxers and it makes for a nice scenic drive and restful 3 to 4 day weekend...

Been camping 2 times already this year and if weather permits will go again next weekend to SC.....love the moving around and enjoy our campsite on the Greenbriar River in WV:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't imagine being in one place for the whole summer. I do that in the winter. Live like a hermit. The only place I go is the local homecenter for whatever supplies I need for for my house chores.

I want to hear that diesel hummin in the summer.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
We have a nice creek down on the farm, have often thought of fixing a nice place to camp there.
Like you I would miss some of the trips we make an seeing different places. Having both would be nice.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...