cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good and bad about Cougar Fifth Wheels

Margaritaville
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering a 2015 Cougar 338PAT with the patio on the back. Anyone here have one ? We are wondering if we would actually use the deck or not. Also, it comes with Trailer King tires. Are those China tires? Would like to hear good or bad about this Keystone product. Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like watching TV with my head at a 90 deg angle. That's a deal breaker for me. Nice shower. Kinda like a toy hauler they forgot to leave the inside space. ????

2 cents worth
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Try the keystonerv.org forums for more input.

Looking at Keystones Cougar web shows the 331 series Cougars have a 12xxx GVWR and come with ST235/80-160 E.
The unit may come with 5.2k or 6k axles. If thats the case then any of the LT235/85-16 E or LT245/75-16 E would be the best tire upgrade for that size trailer. Going with the LT will get you away from ST tires and their issues regardless of brand.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Cougar is a typical entry level trailer. On that size trailer, I'd have 50 amp and two A/C units. If changing or adding an A/C unit, get one or two heat pumps. The Trailer Kings are Chinese junk I believe and I would not take them very far. have them upgrade to Maxxis or Goodyear tires.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
We have had two Cougars - a 2008 318SAB and now a 2013 333MKS. Cougar has been good to us and yes, I think the quality between 2008 and 2013 has improved enough to make it a midrange 5er. The shower is huge. The Morryde suspension is a very nice enhancement which also makes life easier for the tires. No tire problems. Our floor plan is much like yours - we love it and all the storage space too. I too wonder about that deck tho, for all the reasons already given. You would need the right kind of campsite to make that deck useful-my preference would be to look at ramps and garages on toy haulers - they might also have a bathroom in that rear space along with the frig - but they probably wouldn't look as nice as your unit.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Owned a 2007 cougar. Not poor quality but not great plus keystone offered so so customer support. If buying now I'd be looking hard at grand design reflection.

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
second Cougar first was TT, now a 327RES 5th wheel. I saw that floor plan this weekend online. Unless you have really long campsite you are going find it hard to set that patio door out. very little out of doors protection. If thats the floor plan you like go look at a 327RES. its basically the same except for the patio door thing. I dont see that patio door porch being around along time. IF its a garage(toyhauler) then yes i can see it but you have all that space with nothing in it when its closed. JMHO..
As far as Cougar goes some say its a entry level 5er. I found it to be more mid range. The new 2015's have a lot more going for them than my 2011. You will find issues with all campers and in the end you have to find what makes you and your spouse happy. OVer all I would buy another cougar as a matter of fact I really like the 2015 327res so much I want to go and look at one this weekend and I would consider trading if the numbers were to work out.
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a 2014 Cougar but a different floor plan. Only problem I had was water got into he fridge compartment during a HUGE rain. Here is why. When you open the two covers on the outside of the trailer, there should be a lip behind the frame on the bottom. It should be caulked so that if water gets in, it hits the lip and it directs it back out....sort of like a backstop. Our lower access area had it, the top did not...at least it wasn't tall enough. I added a strip of quarter round molding, and caulked it up. Now if water gets in there it hits the lip/backstop and flows back out.

And one other thing, make sure the drain tube from the fridge is routed through the access panel so that any condensation from inside the fridge will drain out. Our was not and I did not notice it at first. Otherwise water will flow into the fridge compartment.

Overall, very happy with the rig.

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my 3rd 5th wheel. The first two were Cougars. I feel cougars are a good entry level unit. It took us two 5th wheels to finally realize what we wanted or needed in our 3rd, and hopefully last 5 th wheel. We now have a 2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL

VegasBT
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up my 2015 Keystone Cougar from the dealer in Phoenix over the weekend. My wife and I did a lot of shopping before deciding on the Cougar 29SGS, and we are looking forward to taking it out for the first time this weekend!

chuggs
Explorer
Explorer
That appears to be a nice unit...

You're starting out with a 15k btu a/c and 16" wheels...you can put a set of Goodyears on there to replace the Tow Kings (I blew two within 50 miles of one another at about 12,000 miles).

If your wired for a second a/c, have 50 amp service...fridge can handle what you need...shower is big enough. Looks like a ,very comfortable unit.

The patio ...I don't know. The Mosquitos are a problem part of the year...we probably would prefer the option of setting up away from the RV...near a campfire. And honestly, we don't sit outside and watch TV...with the rare exception of a UF/UGA football game with friends. I think only time will tell.