cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodyear G614 tire longevity experience?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We have 18,000 miles on our fiver tires since purchase. Unfortunately, we were given new 2 year old tires without knowing it in July 2014. The tire date is week 39 2012. We have previously read to replace tires at 5 years regardless of use. In your opinion, or based on your experience, how soon should we be replacing these tires. Thanks!
32 REPLIES 32

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cimac wrote:
Well, my G614's are just over 6 years old and I lost all of the tread on one today. The tire did not deflate, just shed the rubber and beat up most things around it. I will change them out and set five years as my limit for them, shorter than I had hoped for.

Be sure to give GY the bad tire and turn in a claim.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cimac
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my G614's are just over 6 years old and I lost all of the tread on one today. The tire did not deflate, just shed the rubber and beat up most things around it. I will change them out and set five years as my limit for them, shorter than I had hoped for.
2013 Ford F350 PS CrewCab 4wd Dually
2011 Mobile Suites 36' RSSB3

Charles and Charlotte
Pet Crew: Guy 8 and Daisy 7. (All Rescues)
Rainbow Bridge: Bear 10, Raisins 11, Cookie 15, Bubba 11 , Oreo 16, Princess 13

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
tomthyme wrote:
I totally agree "justme". It's like I want to do a whole axle, brake, suspension upgrade....just for peace of mind and longevity of the rig! Who knows maybe someday. We will!

MORryde and trailertiresandwheels.com will take care of you!

X2... But add the Titan Disc Brake kit also... Or Kodiac will do.... ๐Ÿ™‚

The discs, and the "H" rated tires took care of 2/3 of my list... The other 1/3 is in a few weeks

Yes MORryde will usually use Kodiak with Dexter EZ lube bearings. But they will do what you want. I saw some with sealed bearings being built.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98 wrote:
tomthyme wrote:
I totally agree "justme". It's like I want to do a whole axle, brake, suspension upgrade....just for peace of mind and longevity of the rig! Who knows maybe someday. We will!

X2... But add the Titan Disc Brake kit also... Or Kodiac will do.... ๐Ÿ™‚

The discs, and the "H" rated tires took care of 2/3 of my list... The other 1/3 is in a few weeks
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomthyme wrote:

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what the real problem is when it comes to tires and trailer suspension. Seems to me the over all suspension is marginal for most trailers with a very narrow margin for design limits. Truck suspension and tires seem to have a much larger tolerance for load limits. I rarely hear about truck suspension/tire failures as opposed to trailer suspension/tire failures. Could it be the trailer mfgs are cutting too many corners to keep prices low. And in the long run the cost of ownership is higher because of the cost cutting by the mfg?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
My G614's are presently 6 years old, wear is minimal . Have always covered when not in use. Will replace them at 7 years with the Sailun S637's . When I bought the 614's six years ago they were still more money then the Sailun's are today.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomthyme wrote:

Curious did you ever weigh your RV when you had the "G" tires on it?

We did indeed. We were careful to stay within weights on the 5th wheel. However, we were towing with a 2004 F350 dually at the time and the GVWR was about 3,000 over. We had air bags, modified PSD and brakes, but if you look at the Owner's Manual, we were definitely over the GVWR. I suppose we could have over loaded the 5th wheel before we learned all this stuff - maybe some weakening there...who knows.

Now we tow with a 2015 F350 dually. Needless to say, 11 years of technology has made a huge difference.

I was more curious about the RV weight on the GY "G" tires.

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer

We did indeed. We were careful to stay within weights on the 5th wheel. However, we were towing with a 2004 F350 dually at the time and the GVWR was about 3,000 over. We had air bags, modified PSD and brakes, but if you look at the Owner's Manual, we were definitely over the GVWR. I suppose we could have over loaded the 5th wheel before we learned all this stuff - maybe some weakening there...who knows.

Now we tow with a 2015 F350 dually. Needless to say, 11 years of technology has made a huge difference.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomthyme wrote:
Your original question was about lifespan, but this might be useful information for you.

We ran brand new G614's on our rig for about 18 months (very few trips) before we had a tire failure. After working with Goodyear, we sent the failed tire to their lab where they confirmed that some kind of compensation was in order due to a defective product. In the end, Goodyear paid our deductible for the damage to our rig, plus gave us a very good pro-rated credit to trade the remaining tires in, as long as we stayed in the Goodyear line. We moved up to H rated tires (with new wheels to handle the pressure) and have been super happy since. These new tires trailer really well, handle cross-winds well, and hold pressure like no body's business.

We got the new wheels from the Trailer Tire and Wheels guys and Discount Tire helped us with the rest. It was a long experience, but generally a satisfying one. This all took place just over a year ago.

Happy trails!

I can attest to how solid our RV is in any wind conditions even towing at 75 with the GY "H" tires.

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Your original question was about lifespan, but this might be useful information for you.

We ran brand new G614's on our rig for about 18 months (very few trips) before we had a tire failure. After working with Goodyear, we sent the failed tire to their lab where they confirmed that some kind of compensation was in order due to a defective product. In the end, Goodyear paid our deductible for the damage to our rig, plus gave us a very good pro-rated credit to trade the remaining tires in, as long as we stayed in the Goodyear line. We moved up to H rated tires (with new wheels to handle the pressure) and have been super happy since. These new tires trailer really well, handle cross-winds well, and hold pressure like no body's business.

We got the new wheels from the Trailer Tire and Wheels guys and Discount Tire helped us with the rest. It was a long experience, but generally a satisfying one. This all took place just over a year ago.

Happy trails!

I swap mine out at the 5 year mark.. No sense chancing it.. Its not worth the hassle..
Never did want to play Russian Roulette .. Most times , you may not even see an issue , its the sidewalls that get weak from sitting and NOT ROLLING down the road . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on going 7 years with our 614's but our trailer is stored indoors climate controlled.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch