cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Design 317RST

diftw
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering changing 5th wheels. Have been looking online a the Grand Design 317RST. Looks it would be a great floor plan for us. Also looking at going to a Ford F350 6.2 ltr w/4.30 axle. Anyone here have any experience with this 5th wheel? Also wanted to see if anyone was willing to share what they paid for this 5th wheel? Would 70% of MSRP be a fair price to offer the dealer?

Thanks.
Dave and Anne
2016 Grand Design 337RLS
2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 4x4
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Rotochocks
Rota Flex by Trail Air Pin Box
Barker 4-wheel 25 gallon tote
Nights Camped in 2009 - 33
2010 - 37
2011 - 31

2012 - 35
2013 - 42
2014 - 45
2015 - 46
2016 - 51
2017 - 43
22 REPLIES 22

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I like having the toilet in a separate room. However ours has the sink/cleanup area, next to the shower. This works best for us.

If the floor plan works for the OP, that is a nice FW. Also, the 350 6.2, 4.30 gears would be a good match for it.

Jerry

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
diftw wrote:
We are considering changing 5th wheels. Have been looking online a the Grand Design 317RST. Looks it would be a great floor plan for us. Also looking at going to a Ford F350 6.2 ltr w/4.30 axle. Anyone here have any experience with this 5th wheel? Also wanted to see if anyone was willing to share what they paid for this 5th wheel? Would 70% of MSRP be a fair price to offer the dealer?

Thanks.

Op'er, no experience with the fifth wheel you are looking at. But as to the truck you mentioned, I think that would be an awesome tow combination. You would probably have to order with the 4.30's. There are several people on here towing with the 6.2L. You might get more response on that part in the tow vehicle section or over at the FTE forum. Here. If I decide to trade trucks that will be my next TV.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Mountain Mama wrote:
I looked at this floor plan & was excited about it as we like the split bath, but when I realized the sink was in same, small, room with toilet, I nixed it. I just don't get the people who design these things..if it works for you, happy shopping!

I imagine that bathroom layout would be a deal breaker for me in the end as well.
The overall floorplan is nice however the bathroom does complicate things
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at this floor plan & was excited about it as we like the split bath, but when I realized the sink was in same, small, room with toilet, I nixed it. I just don't get the people who design these things..if it works for you, happy shopping!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
As a Grand design dealer, I can tell you there is not as much mark up in them, as other main stream manufacturers.

You won't see any lower prices on GD products because they don't sell to wholesalers, and have a strict policy to maintain the msrp in advertising, to keep the playing field equal.
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
suzyqtx60 wrote:
Grand Design Manufacture Rep. at the Houston RV Show told us they don't mark up their trailers as much as other brands, so they don't discount as much either. That's a new marketing strategy we hadn't heard before.....

I find that hard to believe. They make nice trailers but aren't head and shoulders above anything else. They have their share of issues just like the rest. Sounds like a marketing strategy to make more money.

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
We love our 337, I would have looked at the 317 if it had been out when we bought ours. Grand Design does a good job after the sale. I will look at them when its time to buy another one.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
spud1957 wrote:
diftw wrote:
Me Again wrote:
At 13995 GVWR, that trailer may be over the tow rating of the 6.2L Gasser or very close and you may not be happy with the performance.

On edit: Ford is pretty optimistic with with their tow ratings for the 6.2L and 4.30's. I would want to hear from others towing that heavy. Chris

I did check the Ford specs for this truck and it appears to be well within the towing/cargo capacity.

Thanks.

Considering the trailer has an estimated dry weight of 10.1K, I cannot see anyone loading this thing up to the GVWR of 13,995. That's almost 4000lbs of stuff!!! Who carries 2 tons of stuff!

I have a dry weight of 9500lbs and tow with 3:73s and have no problem maintaining the speed limit on any grade. I'm around 10.5K loaded.

I would not put all my faith in the dry weight listed on the brochure.
Brochure weights are notoriously inaccurate/unrealistic.
Check a few stickers on the actual trailers to determine the true dry weight.

suzyqtx60
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design Manufacture Rep. at the Houston RV Show told us they don't mark up their trailers as much as other brands, so they don't discount as much either. That's a new marketing strategy we hadn't heard before.....
Jerry & Carol
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Turbodiesel inline 6
Primus IQ Brake Controller
Equalizer 4-point Sway Control, 10,000 lb. capacity
2006 R-Vision Max-lite RS

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
diftw wrote:
Me Again wrote:
At 13995 GVWR, that trailer may be over the tow rating of the 6.2L Gasser or very close and you may not be happy with the performance.

On edit: Ford is pretty optimistic with with their tow ratings for the 6.2L and 4.30's. I would want to hear from others towing that heavy. Chris

I did check the Ford specs for this truck and it appears to be well within the towing/cargo capacity.

Thanks.

Considering the trailer has an estimated dry weight of 10.1K, I cannot see anyone loading this thing up to the GVWR of 13,995. That's almost 4000lbs of stuff!!! Who carries 2 tons of stuff!

I have a dry weight of 9500lbs and tow with 3:73s and have no problem maintaining the speed limit on any grade. I'm around 10.5K loaded.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Nice floorplan. Although I'm not sure I like the split bathroom
Grand Design seems to be taking the world by storm.
30% off is a reasonable starting point

I have 3 local dealers that stock the Solitude ... 2 of them show the MSRP as the selling price , and the 3rd just says.. MAKE AN OFFER... I asked 2 of the 3 about that and was told that the Grand Design models almost always sell them selves.. people just have to get in them to see..
That's why the sale $$$$ are not listed.. The national Sales manager also told me that GD has been known to HELP out with the sale when buyers were close , but not close enough , ,.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Greene728 wrote:
He is saying 68% of the MSRP, not off.
In other words 38% off the MSRP.

Duh :). Actually 32% off.

I wonder why dealers don't advertised any Grand Designs with any discounted prices. Almost all the time you see them listed on a dealers site, they only show MSRP. Almost all other brands can be seen at some type of discount. Is it some kind of contract that GD has with their dealers?

dballentine
Explorer
Explorer
We're very pleased with our 337RLS. You might want to check out the Grand Design Owners forum for more opinions.

When we were looking, it appeared that 20-25% off MSRP was fairly typical. You can always offer 30% below list as a starting point; it is, after all, a negotiation.
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ D/A CC LB SRW Z71
Amateur Radio KQ3T, licensed since 1965