Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Design Solitude vs. Montana

Westernskies
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Currently looking to upgrade our Fifth wheel. I have narrowed it down to a 2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MB and a 2018 Montana 3950BR. I believe I know which one I am going after, but thought I would post here for any advice. When I google comparisons between the 2 they are very bias for one or the other, depending on the author, so not very helpful.

I thought I would post here and see if anyone wanted to share their experiences with the Solitude brand or the Montana brands, good or bad. And if by chance anyone has been looking at the 2, which one did you decide on and why?

Thanks, Joey
30 REPLIES 30

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
ACZL wrote:
I agree you a heck of a lot of Monty's out there and yes I give them credit for a lot of new concepts/floorplan ideas. That being said, the reviews for the most part seem to indicate the Keystone's QC has a lot to be desired. All mfr's have issues, but Keystone/Monty rank right up there as being lacking in QC. Had a Cedar Creek before new coach in sig (which is owned by same parent company as Keystone). Each div operates separately, but based on what I've seen read, Heartland, Cedar Creek and Grand Design seem to be some of the best w/ few complaints. We would have gone w/ another CC, but didn't like some features/designs or layout of floorplan. Jayco (also owned by Thor) seems to have a good following and better QC than Keystone. My $.02.

Cedar Creek is a Forest River(Buffett) product, not a Thor product. Your new Big Country rolls up to Thor. Jayco is now a Thor holding also.

If you re-read my orig post, you will see that I didn't mention who makes Cedar Creek as I know is a FR product. Just after the 1st parenthesis I wrote that our new coach is owned by same parent company as Keystone. Was not referencing Cedar Creek was any part of Thor. I also wrote that Jayco was now a Thor company, but guess that part got overlooked.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Even Grand Design knew when they started building trailers that they couldn't reinvent the wheel. The only way to set themselves apart was to offer better customer service. RV construction is in it's self it's own worst enemy. Most parts are not high quality and labor is running 100 mph to get their quota.
Both the Montana and Solitude use many of the same parts, assembled by the same skill level workforce. Either brand will build good ones and bad ones. The hard part is ciphering thru the info to see where one brand stands above the other.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are both mid priced units. Many of the components they use are the same. Not so sure the customer service for Grand Design is going to be as good as it was when they started out, just like most other start up companies. My reason to buy an RV is to find one that doesn't need customer service.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:
I agree you a heck of a lot of Monty's out there and yes I give them credit for a lot of new concepts/floorplan ideas. That being said, the reviews for the most part seem to indicate the Keystone's QC has a lot to be desired. All mfr's have issues, but Keystone/Monty rank right up there as being lacking in QC. Had a Cedar Creek before new coach in sig (which is owned by same parent company as Keystone). Each div operates separately, but based on what I've seen read, Heartland, Cedar Creek and Grand Design seem to be some of the best w/ few complaints. We would have gone w/ another CC, but didn't like some features/designs or layout of floorplan. Jayco (also owned by Thor) seems to have a good following and better QC than Keystone. My $.02.

Cedar Creek is a Forest River(Buffett) product, not a Thor product. Your new Big Country rolls up to Thor. Jayco is now a Thor holding also.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Wildcat...... GD Solitude competes with Montana'a LEGACY model do not get mixed up and compare them to our High Country or Non Legacy Montana as there is NO wood behind the Legacy rear cap it is all Aluminum studs and by the way Grand design uses wood trusses in their roofs not Montana and the only cable slide I have in my Legacy is the Bedroom slide which is problem free and "NON laminated slide out walls" Nope wrong again you are looking at our mid level High Country line, before you start talking about Montana's please get your facts straight first I have owned 3 of them and have 2 Buddies with Solitudes and I know them well and they have stepped it up in the last couple of years(12in frames and finally 4 step entry to name a few) and they are fine 5er's now but the earlier GD Solitudes People WERE getting fooled and they did cheap out on WAY to many things but the choice between the 2 is a toss up now IMO,the only thing Montana has got cheap on as of late that I can think of is they stopped using the real nice Sony tv's and DVD/Blu-ray surround sound systems
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heartland's Landmark and Bighorn come to mind! Also Forest River Cedar Creek and Cardinal. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

SLE
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if you've considered any others. I think there's a few more high end mid bunks to look at if you going in with your eye's wide open. Right off hand I know Jayco makes a 377RLBH and Columbus makes a 377MB both of which are very nice units. I would bet there are a couple others also. just food for thought.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at both Brands along with others and chose Grand Design. We thought construction was better than Keystone. Very Happy with construction, fit and finish. Any issues ..(Norcold, Fantastic fan) were addressed promptly.

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
There is a simple reason Montana has outsold GD Solitudes by a wide margin.... bang for the Buck and more choices of floor plans and to come out with new and innovative floor plans as well that fit a lot of tastes , GD Solitudes has started getting better as of late but they have always cheap'ed out in the past on too many things like inferior pin boxes and Suspensions,only 10in frames vs 12in, cheap TV's and sound Systems and appliances,no rear caps or Ceiling fans , no central vacs, etc.. BUT like I said they have stepped it up lately,I have 2 friends with Solitudes and they have been in for warranty work many times so they are built no better than anybody else but I would say IMO NOW it is a toss up and GD does have better Customer service So pick a good dealer and a floor plan ya like and go for either one and as far as the guy with a cracked frame yes that was not good but when ya sell 4-5K Montana's a year you will get more complaints and a few more lemons compared to other brands I have fulltimed in 3 Montana's a 2004,2012 and my 2015 and all have been very good 5er's with just minor issues and Keystone and my Dealer has been great taking care of them so just my experience having 2 friends with GD Solitudes and me with 3 Montana's

I just looked over the newest build Montana's at the dealer open house in Indiana.

If they continue to be the best selling 5th wheel, it's because the people buying them are blind.

They have continuously been getting cheaper and cheaper on the build, and relying on their "reputation".

Cable slides and non-laminated slide out walls and a rear cap that hides a wood studded wall are not any benefits...
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
There is a simple reason Montana has outsold GD Solitudes by a wide margin.... bang for the Buck and more choices of floor plans and to come out with new and innovative floor plans as well that fit a lot of tastes , GD Solitudes has started getting better as of late but they have always cheap'ed out in the past on too many things like inferior pin boxes and Suspensions,only 10in frames vs 12in, cheap TV's and sound Systems and appliances,no rear caps or Ceiling fans , no central vacs, etc.. BUT like I said they have stepped it up lately,I have 2 friends with Solitudes and they have been in for warranty work many times so they are built no better than anybody else but I would say IMO NOW it is a toss up and GD does have better Customer service So pick a good dealer and a floor plan ya like and go for either one and as far as the guy with a cracked frame yes that was not good but when ya sell 4-5K Montana's a year you will get more complaints and a few more lemons compared to other brands I have fulltimed in 3 Montana's a 2004,2012 and my 2015 and all have been very good 5er's with just minor issues and Keystone and my Dealer has been great taking care of them so just my experience having 2 friends with GD Solitudes and me with 3 Montana's
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
After a member here who's Montana frame cracked and all the run around he got from that company I wouldn't touch a Montana with a 10ft pole.

X2. And sadly I don't think his ordeal is a one off.......
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
We just took delivery of an ordered Solitude 375RES, and we looked hard at the 377MBS. I was amazed to be contacted by phone from the Grand Design factory rep about both products, and again by their Marketing Director (Bill Martin) with a telephone call about other product questions I had.

Grand Design is all about Customer Service, we picked up our Solitude yesterday and we are thrilled with the fit and finish and overall product quality.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Typical issues with Grand Design as others, but they do have great customer service.

Just note their axle seal issue continues, even with some reports of GD changing to Dexter axles on a Lippert frame. It's confusing. Facts are scarce. Welcome to the RV industry. Be aware.

Even with that. I would by another Grand Design today over any other brand.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
After a member here who's Montana frame cracked and all the run around he got from that company I wouldn't touch a Montana with a 10ft pole.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"