cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Granddesign 31MB

lem55
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking at a Granddesign 31MB. Any of you Granddesign owners have any ya's or na! What are your thought about an extented warranty? Thanks for your input.
16 REPLIES 16

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:
One other thing is that Grand Design customer service is noted to be one of the best in the industry for helping out if there is an issue.

Perhaps "were noted" should apply. They were noted by us in 2014 to be one of the best for helping out. It seems now days they changed. They were not much help on our 3950BH frame issues and slideout issues. Both them and Lippert used every excuse in the book including more or less telling us to take a hike, too bad, two months out of warranty. Probably why we unloaded it after 14 months of BS from GD and so many issues we lost count and not counting the many issues I repaired myself out of pocket that were clear warranty issues. They sent me a few parts.....big deal.

I definetly agree!

Since Winnebago has taken them over the customer service is very poor. Had multiple issues with my 2017 GD Reflection 27RL. AC 1 month out of warranty needed replaced, door lock replaced, entire frame covered in surface rust, circuit board on hotwater tank replaced, rear window won't stay latched, bedroom slide cable to motor had to be replaced, toilet fresh water line leaks, oven refuses to light, bathroom door had to be rehung to line up with latch and many other things. Have an appointment in October (soonest) for TWO recalls to be fixed.

I cannot and will not reccommend any Grand Design products as there is no help whatsoever after the sale.

Dave
Don't know where your getting service from, but GD did extensive repairs for me after the warranty was up on mine. When I go into it after sitting in storage for a while, it still smells new - not like the formaldehyde off gassing Coleman I had. I emailed them and got a return phone call. They also sent me a notice on a recall for a possible electrical issue that will be fixed if needed at no cost - so the statement of no help after the sale is fiction. Lots of stories out there to prove that one wrong - not on here though. Your experience was different for some reason - not going to speculate why, but the OP should go on the the GD user forums where they discuss the good and the bad - on here you only get the people with an axe to grind regardless the brand.

Statements like they are all junk make you wonder why your even in the hobby at all.

OP - feel free to PM me with any specific questions - and if you can't find their forums, I'll shoot you the links.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you have realistic expectations and with the skill set to maintain the unit. Unfortunately a lot of people do not have even basic skills to maintain a RV and will become disillusioned with their purchase.

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response. We just bought a small TT to get out during COVID. Since we stopped camping in 2015, I forgot how to relax. The DW suggested we get back in the fun. God bless her! Now, Iโ€™m rekindling the desire for a fifth wheel, and anticipate in the next two or three years we will make the jump when my truck has reached its time to go. Itโ€™s so discouraging to see the junk being built, even from one model to the next identical model sitting next to it. We have had great luck with K-Z in the past, so we went that route again. Although it seems to be well above most of what Others we looked at, it still is not like our last K-Z. I just realize that I can fix anything, and if itโ€™s roofing or major structure issues, itโ€™ll have to go in only because I donโ€™t have the barn space snd size to open it up.
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5โ€“/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Very few premium brands left. New Horizon but very heavy and very expensive. I beleive Spacecraft is still around as well. Both you have the option of having custom built units. CEO of Keystone once said they build more RV'S in a week then New Horizon builds in a year. Most of the premium brands are gone. I still beleive Artic Fox builds a better RV at a more affordable price. DRV has been purchased by a conglomerate but I think they are still built better as well.

Maybe some others can chime in with more independently owned RV manufacturers.

With maintenance and repair work I can get 15 to 20 years out of Keystone or Forest River products that don't stress the budget. I have no illusions of what they are. After about 10 years the interiors are out of date anyway.

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
So, at the end of the day, all RV manufacturers are the same. We got sucked in to the same think with Heartland about 15 years ago... just when they started to grow by leaps and bounds. Biggest piece of junk on the road we had, and they left us hanging.

So, who are the premier RV manufacturers? Do they exist?
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5โ€“/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, All the YouTube Grand Design cult members can't say enough good about them. At least they get the gold service.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The three amigos that started GD all came from Keystone.
Don Clark
Ron and Bill French.

IMO the startup of GD was one of the best PR startups I've seen.
They touted a customer/MFG relation where the customer came 1st. Problem was is that they should've reinvented the wheel instead they just made the same stuff as everyone else albeit with slick floor plans and cool bling.
It all worked great until they became a big player and couldn't keep up with customer demands concerning QC issues.
I remember reading on the forum where early on customers could get one on one response from GD reps for warranty issues in a real short time frame. It looked real cool and seemed like a great way to sell RV'. Problem is they started getting too big to keep up with owner complaints. Again instead of building a better RV they just reinvented the way they handle the same problems that have been plaguing the RV industry for years.
Thats when they sold out to Winnebago.
They entered the market, made a huge amount of money and then bailed when the time was right.
Nothing wrong with any of the above.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:

Sadly I predicted it when they opened the doors based on who the people were who started the company, and the past history they had in the RV Industry. Used car salesmen have higher ethics than anyone in ownership or management in the RV Industry.

Not questioning your source or disagreeing with your opinion, but who are the people that started the company, and what is their past history?

lem55
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great advice. I guess I have a lot to think about.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:
One other thing is that Grand Design customer service is noted to be one of the best in the industry for helping out if there is an issue.

Perhaps "were noted" should apply. They were noted by us in 2014 to be one of the best for helping out. It seems now days they changed. They were not much help on our 3950BH frame issues and slideout issues. Both them and Lippert used every excuse in the book including more or less telling us to take a hike, too bad, two months out of warranty. Probably why we unloaded it after 14 months of BS from GD and so many issues we lost count and not counting the many issues I repaired myself out of pocket that were clear warranty issues. They sent me a few parts.....big deal.

I definetly agree!

Since Winnebago has taken them over the customer service is very poor. Had multiple issues with my 2017 GD Reflection 27RL. AC 1 month out of warranty needed replaced, door lock replaced, entire frame covered in surface rust, circuit board on hotwater tank replaced, rear window won't stay latched, bedroom slide cable to motor had to be replaced, toilet fresh water line leaks, oven refuses to light, bathroom door had to be rehung to line up with latch and many other things. Have an appointment in October (soonest) for TWO recalls to be fixed.

I cannot and will not reccommend any Grand Design products as there is no help whatsoever after the sale.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
Don't forget that Grand Design is now under Winnebago and lots or report of poor service now.

Yes......the Design is not so Grand any longer LOL. The same slapped together junk as the next guy, pushed out the door without any QC or QA, while they start the warranty clock ticking with the knowledge the dealer network will most likely jam you up long enough they don't have to pay out on it.

Sadly I predicted it when they opened the doors based on who the people were who started the company, and the past history they had in the RV Industry. Used car salesmen have higher ethics than anyone in ownership or management in the RV Industry.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget that Grand Design is now under Winnebago and lots or report of poor service now.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR wrote:

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
extended warranties arn,t worth the paper there on. I,ve read meny horror stories on this site.

That's painting the subject with much too wide of a brushstroke.

First, understand that there's a difference between an extended warranty (offered by and administered by the manufacturer) and an extended service contract (offered by and administered by a third party).

Automobile extended warranties are usually quite good. I could mention a few makes that offer an extended warranty that actually has a broader coverage scope than the original factory warranty. Extended service contracts -- now that can be a different story!

So, be aware of what type you're being offered, and read it over well before making a decision. Best of luck with the new RV!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress