cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ground generator?

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I've never bothered with it but the new generator I just bought has a bunch of bold warnings about wiring its ground nut but to a stake. Do you guys bother with it?

3500/4400 watt if that matters.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB
16 REPLIES 16

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Sounds like I can continue not worrying about it.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
AND, when you drive that copper rod be SURE you are outside the drip line. It's CODE. ๐Ÿ™‚

And also don't forget to "call before you dig" when you drive that rod...

As has already been mentioned, there is no practical purpose for grounding a portable generator (especially with a copper or steel ground rod). However, in the event that your generator was fully submerged in water, the wiring was crossed, and the GFCI failed to function correctly, all while the generator continued running...then yes, having it grounded might prevent an electrocution.

If I were installing a semi-permanent genset in my RV, then I would ground the unit to the frame...if not for any other reason than to just say I did.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
No ground needed unless it is a permanent installation.

Thanks. Makes sense.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The City of LA for one, requires any portable generator be grounded. When we are out doing special events, etc. its either staked or on a water pipe, etc. It's a safety thing only and has nothing to do with conditioning the output. What we do has a LOT of lighting ballasts and remote light heads on the ground or that may also be attached to scaffolding that itself is grounded and I have been knocked on my can more than once when someone neglects to ground the genset and someone screws up the wiring (way too common). BUT, RV service is completely different. Do I do it with my Honda generator with a 100% plastic and isolated case? NO. There is no path to ground anywhere in the RV, so why create one?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
No ground needed unless it is a permanent installation.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
ECones wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
Connecting a ground rod to a portable generator will accomplish absolutely nothing. It offers no safety or power quality advantage.
I'm an electrical contractor if that matters.

It matters ๐Ÿ˜‰

The electrical contractor that installed my switch said it wasn't necessary as well. But I couldn't explain why -- thus the link in my previous post.

The link in your previous post explains why a home generator with a transfer switch doesn't need a ground rod. It's because home transfer switches don't transfer the neutral. Thus it's not a separately derived system, thus no ground rod is required for a generator hooked up thru a home transfer switch.
That's all pretty irrelevant to a generator being hooked up to an RV.
They are covered by 250-6 in the NEC (Portable and vehicle mounted generators) which states that the frame of a portable generator shall not be required to be grounded . . .

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
AND, when you drive that copper rod be SURE you are outside the drip line. It's CODE. ๐Ÿ™‚

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Connecting a ground rod to a portable generator will accomplish absolutely nothing. It offers no safety or power quality advantage.

It matters ๐Ÿ˜‰

The electrical contractor that installed my switch said it wasn't necessary as well. But I couldn't explain why -- thus the link in my previous post.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
I found this page online that seems to explain why it's not always necessary to ground the generator.

Click --> http://www.imsasafety.org/journal/ma03/ma5.htm

bogart661
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a portable generator since 1985, starting with a 1000 watt Yamaha, then a 4000 watt Generac(very load and heavy), a 2400 watt Yamaha(that was stolen last year) and now two 2000 watt Yamahas. I have never grounded any of them and have never had a problem.
Vinnie and Chris
2013 2WD Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison Reese R16 Slider
2014 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot CF305SK

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
For whatever it was worth I used to ground the genny via an alligator clip to the leg of the trailer which forms part of the trailer frame & ground for the trailer.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
when I was working for the big box store I asked the repair guys about grounding. they said they know of no one who would drive a six ft rod in the ground for grounding the gen set. so I took that as a no.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Triker33 wrote:
What would a manufacture know about their own Generator?
Warnings are just to cover their A** when you mess up and get electrocuted.

Do it your own way and pay no attention them.

So what this means is wherever you go drive in a good deep ground rod. How does 8 feet of copper sound? ๐Ÿ™‚