cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard folding Tonneau Cover...Bakflip VP??

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Have to replace our hard folding tonneau cover...anybody use the Bakflip VP?? How does it do with your fifth wheel??
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
11 REPLIES 11

krinkle
Explorer
Explorer
We use the "magnetic retractable poles with tennis balls" o just line them up one on hitch one on 5ver. Back up match e up good to go. Available cw or any dealer. Happy Caping

krinkle
Explorer
Explorer
We use the "magnetic retractable poles with tennis balls" o just line them up one on hitch one on 5ver. Back up match e up good to go. Available cw or any dealer. Happy Caping

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
kakampers wrote:
JTrac wrote:
I have a Bakflip HD in a four panel model for our long bed. I fold it back to the last panel and secure it with a couple of bungee cords and have not had any problems towing our fifth wheel. The only issue is it does block the view of the hitch so I have to do it blind. I did put a piece of red tape on the center of the folded panel which I use to line up with the pin. Has not been a problem.

I have one other question...how wide are the rails? How far do they intrude into the truck bed??

The rails sit 1 1/2 inches inside the bed. It has never created a problem for us in the year we have had the truck and the Bakflip. We put about 8k miles on our truck towing the fifth wheel last year. I build furniture frames for my son-in-law's business on occasion and have stuffed bed full without hurting the rails. They seem to be pretty tough. I do like the fact the cover can be folded up against the back window so I can haul bigger stuff.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Bakflip F1 four panel on my 6.5' short bed. I fold it to the last panel so it does not block the rear window. I have a SuperGlide hitch which works fine.

Haven't measured rails but they don't protrude much at all into the bed.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
I have a Bakflip HD in a four panel model for our long bed. I fold it back to the last panel and secure it with a couple of bungee cords and have not had any problems towing our fifth wheel. The only issue is it does block the view of the hitch so I have to do it blind. I did put a piece of red tape on the center of the folded panel which I use to line up with the pin. Has not been a problem.

I have one other question...how wide are the rails? How far do they intrude into the truck bed??

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I use a tri fold one with my FW with no problems

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very nice tri fold. But it could possible be a issue with the fiver. because it is about 7 inches high when folded up. In a very sharp back up maneuver it could be a problem.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like the Bakflip can be secured without standing it up...using bungees...it has hooks just behind the cab, so you can fold it up, and secure it with bungees to the siderails?? My problem with a retractable, which we've had, was the back of the pin box hit the siderails and destroyed them..the are too wide and protrude too far into the bed area.

parkdep
Explorer
Explorer
Had a back flip cover did not like it, went to the retrax and it works much better. Allows you to see out the rear window when backing. Retrax Cover
:R

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the Fold-A-Cover and have never had an issue even before I raised my fiver.