cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harsh ride & chucking…please help me figure it out! (Long)

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Here is my current truck and trailer info along with suspension enhancements:

2011 F250 Super Duty, 6.7L PSD, CC, SRW, Camper Package, Snow Plow Prep Pkg. with Lower & Upper Stableloads, new Bilstein 5100 shocks, Husky 16K W hitch (Center line of king pin about 4” ahead of axle)

2007 Keystone Challenger 29RKP with Reese Sidewinder (SWW-04 wedge for Husky hitch), Dexter EZ-Flex, Lippert Shock Kit, Lippert Correct Track II (recent professional alignment done), new tires

Here are my CAT scale results:
F250 6.7L PSD 4X4 Lariat - Full tank, Husky 16k W hitch, me:
Steer Axle - 4720
Drive Axle - 3300
Total - 8020

With 2007 Keystone Challenger 29RKP under tow:
Steer Axle - 4740
Drive Axle - 5980 (vehicle total=10720)
Trailer Axles - 7780
Total - 18500

Trailer:
Pin Weight – 2680 (25.6%)
Axle Weight - 7780
Total - 10460

About 700 over published tow vehicle GVWR (10000) but...
1320 under axle ratings 5940 (FGAWR) + 6100 (RGAWR) = 12040) and 5000 under GCWR.

I purchased this 5th wheel and truck (used) last summer but despite several suspension improvements on both truck and trailer I continue to experience severe chucking. I am using the term “chucking” here to mean the feeling of a push/pull (or forward/rearward) motion on the truck which creates a very uncomfortable ride. The chucking is always present with the exception of climbing a steep grade (>4 percent) but of course it varies substantially in intensity depending on road conditions, road slope and speed. It does not appear to be directly related to road conditions as it can become severe even when driving on flat and very smooth newly paved asphalt roadways at speeds between 50 and 65. A recent 150m trip had very severe chucking (the FW tank was empty) but that night I fully filled the 50 gal. FW tank (located just ahead of the front axle) and it reduced the amplitude of the chucking somewhat but it was still very much present the next day and still very uncomfortable. I adjusted the pin box to level the trailer frame within 1” front to back. I checked the king pin movement in the hitch and it appears to be minimal (< 1/4 in.). I even operated the Sidewinder pin box in a fixed configuration (service bolts installed) just to eliminate that factor but no change. I added shocks to the trailer which I could visibly see made a huge improvement in the ride of the trailer itself and I had the trailer axles aligned by a professional shop but this had little or no effect on the chucking. At this point I don’t know what to try next. I know there is the option of an air or rubber pin box or an air hitch but my gut tells me there is something wrong with the set-up and I am not convinced I wouldn’t be just covering up a problem or risking a fair amount of cash without fixing the issue. I also realize I am a bit over the GVWR of the truck but there appear to be many, many RV.NET members running similar weights that don’t have this issue.

- Should I try adding additional weight to increase the pin weight more even though it is already 26%?
- Is there too much pin weight? Can I load weight in the rear to see if this helps?
- Is it the truck or trailer causing the issue? How can I determine? Could it be a truck suspension issue?
- I am riding on the truck overload springs when loaded… should I opt for air bags instead?
- Can the Husky Hitch be bad? What else should I check? (All bolts have been torqued to specs)
- Is it just a bad combo of truck and trailer?
- Picture

Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated and I will report back any results. We can’t live with this as it is for anything longer than a few hour trip.
Thanks in advance!
Garyl53
Just me, wife and 2 small dogs
2011 F250 CCSB 6.7L PSD SRW 4x4 Camper/Plow/FX packages: Andersen Hitch, AirLift 5000 Bags, Bilstein 5100s
2017 Redwood 36RL
19 REPLIES 19

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
Have a friend tow the trailer and see if he has the chucking problem. If not then you know it is your truck or your hitch.

Probably the best suggestion posted!!

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
Well I installed a number 3 shear spring in the MOR/Ryde pin box and it has reduced the chucking a small amount. I also have tried running with both lower (20 lbs) and higher (80 lbs) air bag pressure but it is hard to tell the difference. I think the higher pressure actually helps reduce the chucking a small amount. At the suggestion of member Filrupmark I disengaged the Lower StableLoads since I now have the airbags. I would say that this increased the comfort level a bit and reduced harshness when hitting road defects. So at this point we are going to try to live with the current situation. I am certainly not convinced that this is the best it can get but I don't know what else to try at this point. Again thanks to all of you that suggested things to try.
Garyl53
2011 F250 CCSB 6.7L PSD SRW 4x4 Camper/Plow/FX packages: Andersen Hitch, AirLift 5000 Bags, Bilstein 5100s
2017 Redwood 36RL

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
I wanted to provide an update to those of you who kindly made comments and suggestions. I ordered, received and installed a Hensley BD-3 hitch but for whatever reason it had no effect on the chucking or a noticeable improvement in the ride quality. I was very surprised at this so I worked with Aaron at Hensley to try a few of his suggestions but still no improvement. I decided to return the hitch under the 30 day satisfaction guarantee program.
I also ordered a MOR/ryde Rubber Pin Box and installed it on my trailer. It did result in a small improvement but not enough to make it acceptable. I ordered the -04 shear spring version since my trailer GVWR is 12.5K but I think I may need the -03 shear spring version since after several test drives I am only seeing about 3/4" of movement of the pin box slides. I plan to call MOR/ryde this week to see what they think.
Additionally I am adding air bags to my truck this week to complement the lower stableloads and to bring the truck level when towing. I am not sure if this will have any impact on the chucking and ride quality but I will report back.
Again thanks to all of you that provided comments.
Gary
Garyl53
2017 Redwood 36RL

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Hey GaryI53, be sure to come back and update us on the results of your next trip and if you decide to buy the TrailerSaver, let us know on that one too!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the additional comments. I actually talked to Aaron yesterday and he was very helpful. He sent all the information about the hitches and he also confirmed that the TS3/BD3 can in fact support the use of a Reese Sidewinder hitch which is great for me (and other short bed Sidewinder owners). My DW and I are coming to the realization that this will likely be the best solution.
I am towing this July 4th long weekend so I am going to try a minor change to see if it has any impact. I am taking out the upper Stableloads so the overload springs won't engage during normal towing. Still experimenting...
Garyl53
2017 Redwood 36RL

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Durb, your're correct on their money back policy. Aaron is great and the only one we've worked with, Just a side note, on our previous TV, a short bed, we purchased the slider adaptor and never needed it. When we bought our current long bed, Hensley purchased the slider back from us, for a reduced amount, but they still purchased it back. Also, the BD3 comes apart and hence is manageable by one person. Yes, you have to have an onboard compressor, but we just have a portable one that runs on a battery and it's fine. We only have to top off the air bags occasionally.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Gary. My Ram 3500 had an overload spring which engaged when I hooked up my 5er. I felt it exacerbated my chucking problem so I took the leaf off. To maintained my capacity I installed air bags at the same time. Never have used them a single time.

Not trying to sell Hensley but if you are apprehensive about spending some major bucks and not fixing the problem they do have a satisfaction guarantee. Use it for a period of time, if you don't like it they will refund your money (unless things have changed). You might call them and talk to Aaron. He is a long timer and his job is helping solve chucking problems. I sent him an e-mail after my purchase notifying him he will not be getting my hitch back. They have a lot of confidence in their product and rightly so.

Downsides to a trailerSaver: expense, heavy, should have on board air or 12V compressor, and I think you will need a sliding adapter if you have a short bed (more expense).

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Gary, We have an F350 using a BD3 and don't have air bags on the truck. We don't need them.

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Again!
I was wondering if those of you that are running Ford 250/350 models with a TS3 or BD3 also have air bags to level the truck?
Again thanks for the feedback.
Gary
Garyl53
2017 Redwood 36RL

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
I will look into the air ride hitch just in case that is my only option. Anyone know if the BD3 or TS3 allow the use of a Sidewinder? If not do they come with a slider option?

Good idea RCMAN46 to find someone to tow the trailer to see if they have issues. At least it might provide some clues.

Thanks for the input so far. Keep the ideas coming!!
Garyl53
2017 Redwood 36RL

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Have a friend tow the trailer and see if he has the chucking problem. If not then you know it is your truck or your hitch.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Hensley BD3 here also. It is fun to watch the truck and trailer bounce around independently of each other. We drive some pretty bumpy roads and the F450 is pretty stiffly sprung, had a drawer open once, DW probably forgot to shut it.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
This is how our story started with the air hitch. Ordered a new 2001 dually truck and new 2001 35 ft alpenlite. Ordered the air hitch before the truck or fifth arrived. My wife about hit the roof on the cost of the air hitch. First time using the truck and towing the fifth she said "best money we ever spent"

end of this fine true story and still enjoying the ride.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

PegLW
Explorer
Explorer
You need a good quality hitch! We've had a Hensley BD3 for over five years and have never, ever had any bucking, chucking, etc., just a great ride. I accidentally left a full Brita pitcher of water sitting on the kitchen counter one time and remembered it well over 100 miles down the road. First chance I went back to clean up the expected mess and found the pitcher sitting right where I'd left it!! Now that's a smooth ride!! Yes, you'll pay more for the Hensley but you definitely get more than your money's worth in quality ride, not to mention less wear and tear on your fifth wheel!

Peggy
Dave and Peggy
2012 Open Range 345RLS
2015 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L turbo