cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Haul Harley and scooter?

MartyMoose
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up our new Road Warrior 305RW last week ( 3-10 degrees...) and can't wait to use it.

Any advice on hauling two bikes with a large variance in weight? The HD weights about 750# and the scooter about 300#.

Also, looking at the heavier duty wheel chock from Harbor Freight. Is it really necessary to mount one of these? Our first trip will get here soon and I doubt I will have time drop the underbelly to mount something.

Thanks

(still need to update my profile....)
2014 Heartland 305RW Road Warrior

2012 Ford F250 Lariat
10 REPLIES 10

hbensley
Explorer
Explorer
Use a wheel chock. My younger brother used a Harbor Freight chock for his HD Ultra. His TV lost the spare tire from underneath and the 5th wheel took a big hop when the spare came under the axles. Both 5th wheel axles were bent so bad the RV had to be towed on a trailer. His RV is 36' so it isn't little or lite. But the bike was right where it was supposed to be: Still in the chock!
Good anchors and straps are a must. Short change any of them and you take an unnecessary risk.
Hank Bensley
2014 Voltage 3895 Toy Hauler
2014 RAM 3500 Mega Cab 4X4 Dually AISIN 4:10 gears
2012 Screamin Eagle Street Glide

hbensley@yahoo.com

Seabass152
Explorer
Explorer
Check out beastracks.com

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
There shouldn't be any belly covering in the garage area for one, I haul an Ultra and a Heritage in mine and I put the ultra on the opposite side of my main slide. If you have 2 main slides...one on each side I would put Harley close to center and put scooter on side with smallest slide. I use 2 condor mounts in mine, loosen 2 wing nuts and they slide off and I only have a small pc still bolted to floor. Just my opinion but I wouldn't haul a street bike in a toy hauler without using a wheel chock of some kind. Too much can happen on the road and I want my bikes to NOT move!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

MartyMoose
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I will be fine - maybe another trip for some more tie downs and wheel chock.
Hopefully this -8 degree temperature gets the heck out of here soon!
2014 Heartland 305RW Road Warrior

2012 Ford F250 Lariat

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
I haul my Harley Ultra (880 lbs) on one side and my ATV (750 Lb) on the other side of my TH garage. I put the heavier Harley on the passenger side, since me and the slideout make the driver side a bit heavier. I use a Condor locking wheel chock, more for ease of loading by myself. As long as you have good tie down points the chock isn't critical.
Jim

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use the cheap Harbor Freight chock. Anything else is overkill IMHO.

DW's trike weighs 1250lb and my Vrod weighs 650lb. No problems with weight differential. I do try to load any freight on the Vrod side.

Many miles on Voltage 3950.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I haul my VTX1800T (~800lbs) slightly to the right of center. This places it evenly between the floor rings that are shifted to the right because of the kitchen; I have a shorter trailer. I do not have any issue with the trailer being loaded unevenly side-side.

I also do not use a wheel chock. I place the front of the front tire between the two rings then take a strap with one complete wrap around the tire and cinch it down to keep the bars from turning left or right. Then have a strap on each side pulling forward from the bars to the same rings to slightly compress the forks. Two straps pulling on frame backward to keep bike from sliding forward. Then one strap with one full wrap on rear tire to nearest rings to keep back of bike from bouncing/sliding to the side. It takes a little longer (and 6 straps) to secure the bike but I have no issues with anything sticking up to stub a toe on for a wheel chock, but there are many options to secure a chock.

Thousands of miles without issue.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If you consider location of items permanently installed in the trailer you may notice a weight bias to one side. My trailer has the generator, bath, and refrigerator all on one side. Load the heavier vehicle to the side that is lighter from the factory. In reality though, the difference is negligible to the trailer.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's how I do ours:

Nothing is secured to the floor except the D-rings. I stole this idea from another member on the forum. Works great and easily removed with no holes left and nothing sticking up.

I don't think you'll have any issues with lighter/heavier bikes.

We haul 2 bikes and have no issues with any smells from the bikes. People who don't travel with bikes shouldn't weigh in unless they actually travel with bikes and can speak from experience.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Valkyrie with a sidecar. Kind of the same weight situation. 850# left side, 250# right side. In a Voltage 3600. Works fine. Do not notice anything.

As far as gas smell, I have NONE, ZERO, NADA. I keep hearing that you will smell gas, but I think it comes from people who do not actually have toyhaulers? Modern bikes do not leak gas.