cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hello folks o/

GreyHairedGeek
Explorer
Explorer
My wife,also my best friend for the last 40 years, and I are new around here and we have jumped in with both feet. New members of Good Sam, picked up the Road Side Assistance, and plan on hitting the road in April or May of 2014 with no plans of looking back. Except to keep in constant touch with our three beautiful daughters and all the amazing grandsons they have given us to enjoy. :B

So right out of the gate I would like to ask for your esteemed opinions on an immediate decision we need to make. We just purchased a different truck to facilitate our future travels. That truck is a Chevy K3500 Dually that just happened to come with an installed fifth wheel hitch as part of the package. The hitch is a RBW standard hitch with a 15000 lb rating and it looks to be in good condition. The Hijacker we have is much newer along with being a Dual Pivot Ultimate Slide rated at 16000 lb. With the new rig we no longer need the slider function but the HiJacker is a beast compared to the RBW. Which means it is also a beast to pull out of the truck bed when we need to compared to the comparatively light RBW hitch. Both hitches are more than capable of handling our fifth-wheel so I am wondering if I should stay with the installed older and lighter hitch or pay for the HiJacker to be installed with the dual pivot feature and just deal with the pain in the buโ€ฆerr back ๐Ÿ˜› while dealing with the size of it. I really do not have a clue what would be best and would appreciate the advice anyone would like to give for us to consider.

Thank you in advance to any and all responders who take the time to share your thoughts based upon your experience. It will truly be appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care o/
5 REPLIES 5

GreyHairedGeek
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the input. With your comments and a bit of research myself, we have decided to mount the HiJacker on our new towing rig.

Take care o/

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome!
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
If your intent is to fulltime starting next spring (hard to tell with your prose), go with the Hijacker. You may no longer need the slide feature but that dual pivot will really come in handy. As a fulltimer, you may never need to remove the hitch.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen a lot of hitches left on trailer pin .
I assume they used the tailer landing gear to lift the hitch out of the truck bedโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..carefully.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Can not give you an opinion of the other hitch but am satisfied with my RBW. Have had it in 3 different trucks and have never had a problem. Like you said....it is easy to remove if not needed and does the job for us.
cpaulsen