cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda Generator EU2000

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We recently bought a new Honda generator. The first time we used it all was well. A few days later we used it again. This time the generator RPM oscillated the entire time we used it. The only way I could get it to run smoothly was to apply the choke about halfway. Even after the generator was all warmed up it would oscillate without the choke applied. Any ideas on what will cure this?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
46 REPLIES 46

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
The fuel jet is probably gunked up. You need to remove the carburetor, pull out the fuel jet and clean it.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should add, I also only use non ethanol premium in all my small engines.
As far as Seafoam being snake oil, I used to think that too. If you obviously haven't tried it, don't knock it. I used to make fun of it too, and got proved wrong. I am not a big fan of crow.... ๐Ÿ˜‰
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Any carbureted small engine that has RPMs that oscillate/hunt has a clog somewhere inside the carburetor, likely in the idle/primary fuel circuit/passage.

Various additives may or may NOT clear this. Seafoam, Techron, Gunout and Sta-Bil are all good products, but none will guarantee that they will fix this problem or even 100% prevent it from re-occurring !

The only 100% sure cure is removing the carburetor and cleaning it. Disassembly and soaking in cleaner might clear the clog. Heated ultrasonic bath has a higher success rate. The only 100% sure cure is probing all passages with a very fine stiff wire (single bristle from am wire brush) followed by air pressure or spray carburetor cleaner.

The best prevention is to turn off the fuel supply to the carburetor while the engine is still running and let it suck all of the fuel out of the carburetor. If you don't use all of the fuel in the tank within a year, dump it out, use a flashlight to inspect for residue inside the tanks and then add fresh fuel. (Personally, I use E10 with Sta-Bil.)

Yup, did it twice on my Honda 2000 pulled the carb ,and cleaned , I could see the writing on the wall leaving it sit over about a month I was going to have to pull the carb, or dump gas add additives whatever. Got on youtube , found a video for installing a shutoff valve. Bought the valve on Amazon, 1/4" gas hose from a local auto parts, and was good to go, probably a $15 investment. Shut the valve off , let it run until it quits . I have left gas in it for as long as six months or more, no problems . Always runs great now.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the non ethanol gas. My EU2000 runs much smoother with non ethanol gas. I also use Seafoam the first couple tanks at the beginning of each season.

Be sure to use a fuel stabilizer such as Seafoam or Sta-Bil when storing at the end of the season.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honda eu2000i owners should be aware of this recall for older generators. 2012 time frame.

https://i2.wp.com/www.filmla.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/HAZARD-Honda-Generator-Recall-EU2000i_Pa...
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I have 32 carburetors to deal with on my vehicles, tractors, generators, outboard and lawn & garden equipment. I do all my own engine work and have used exactly one can of Seafoam in my life. That can didn't seem to do a darn thing. If there is junk in a carb, the gasoline will wash it out eventually or physical removal is required, IMHO.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
1 ounce per gallon.

Seafoam has worked for us for years on our small engines. I also use non ethanol gas also.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Any carbureted small engine that has RPMs that oscillate/hunt has a clog somewhere inside the carburetor, likely in the idle/primary fuel circuit/passage.

Various additives may or may NOT clear this. Seafoam, Techron, Gunout and Sta-Bil are all good products, but none will guarantee that they will fix this problem or even 100% prevent it from re-occurring !

The only 100% sure cure is removing the carburetor and cleaning it. Disassembly and soaking in cleaner might clear the clog. Heated ultrasonic bath has a higher success rate. The only 100% sure cure is probing all passages with a very fine stiff wire (single bristle from am wire brush) followed by air pressure or spray carburetor cleaner.

The best prevention is to turn off the fuel supply to the carburetor while the engine is still running and let it suck all of the fuel out of the carburetor. If you don't use all of the fuel in the tank within a year, dump it out, use a flashlight to inspect for residue inside the tanks and then add fresh fuel. (Personally, I use E10 with Sta-Bil.)

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
With ECO off the generator runs smoothly, but much faster and louder. I ended up putting an entire container of Seafoam in the gas tank, not all at the same time, but over a 4 hour period, and some more gas. It still isn't perfect, but it is so very much better. I'm good to go here. Thanks for your help.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried it with ECO "off" ?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

babock
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issue with a Honda generator. Took me 30 minutes to remove the carb, clean out all the passages with spray carb cleaner and reinstall. Ran like new again.

If you brought it to a shop, they would not be using snake oil. If they did, time to go to a new shop.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all these ideas. In reply, the gas cap was in the open mode, the ECO switch was on, however without any load on the generator the engine was still oscillating. I will be running some Seafoam through the fuel system and see what happens. Any suggestions on how much Seafoam to put in this little gas tank?
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Bob___Mary
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto to what Super Dave said - thought I was the only one.

Also mine was doing exact same thing. Bought online but took to local dealer. Fixed under warranty at one year old.
Just needed carb cleaning.
2005 F350 - PSD - SRW - 4X4 - Crew Cab - Lariat
2002 HR Alumascape 28RLD
1998 Four Winns 18' Fish & Ski

bshgto1
Explorer
Explorer
This whole thread is the reason I went out and bought this

I have 3 Yamaha is2000`s and have sold one and the other 2 are for sale. I just got tired of the whole gas thing. Trying to fill them in the dark with a flash light, keeping the cans upright in the back of the truck, stale gas, cleaning the carbs ,draining the carbs, worry about being stolen,lack of any real power even when paralleled. I had both fill cans stolen out of the truck one night when we stopped to get some dinner.
So this thing has never had and will never have gas in it. It runs strictly on propane. It runs every thing with power to spare, remote start-stop, no climbing in the truck to fill the little tanks, not worried about being,stolen, to heavy it`s locked down anyway. It cost just a 100.00 more than ONE, 1, Uno just one of my Yamaha`s. I have it hooked to the propane system on the camper, never have to get up in the middle of the night to fill it up to keep the A/C running so the wife doesn`t get cranky. Rant over.
2018.5 Montana 3791 Rear Den
Electric brakes suck Disk brakes it`s the only way
Andersen Ultimate on the pucks, 5th AirBorne Mor/ryde SRE 4000 X Factors....real smooth ride
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7 Top Dog 5595 payload

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Mine did that too from the time it was new. Honda test-runs them and lets the fuel dry up in it.
Ran 1/2 bottle of Seafoam in it during a 5 hour run and it was fixed permanently.