cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hooking Up with a Bed Cover

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I have always lined up the pin and the hitch visually. When I got the BakFlip folding bed cover it just did not dawn on me that when folded back for hook up and travel it would completely block my vision of the hitch. I hooked up today for the first time to see how things would sit. It took me several false tries and a few trips out of the truck before I finally got it lined up.

I was wondering if there are any tricks to doing this. The obvious answer is have someone directing me but today, and at times, this won't be possible. The other obvious answer is get a different cover but I bought it on line a month or so before I got the truck and have had it on for a couple of weeks now so I doubt I could return it. The boxes have gone to recycle heaven, also.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR
28 REPLIES 28

MdMike1007
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
I took a pic yesterday when we hooked up to take the 5er to the storage lot. Thought some of you might be interested.

This shows how the tape on the pin box and the tape on the folded up tonno cover line up. That is what I look for when I hitch up. Thanks, John

That is similar to what I did. I just did two lines to guide me square into the pin box.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I took a pic yesterday when we hooked up to take the 5er to the storage lot. Thought some of you might be interested.

This shows how the tape on the pin box and the tape on the folded up tonno cover line up. That is what I look for when I hitch up. Thanks, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's really very simple to hitch up. I've only practiced a couple of times before we towed our 5er for the first time this past week. Our F-150 has a trifold tonneau cover flipped back behind the rear sliding window (can't see the hitch) plus I removed the back seat center head rest. All I do is line up the pin in the center of the 2 head rest mounting holes and as I back, look at the pin thru the rear view mirror and as I get the tailgate under the pin I can see the reflection of the hitch thru the mirror on the front of the 5er (yeah it's a Cougar). I've even measured the height of the pin & have it set (close enough) before I start to backup. Piece of cake even for a rookie like me.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
rtazz17 wrote:
I have a bak flip cover too.I put a mirror on the nose of fiver to see hitch.Works great.5 bucks.

How did you attach it and do you leave it attached?
bought the mirror at walmart and used some double sided tape.I leave it on the nose of the fiver.Its been there for 1.5 yrs with no problems.Very simple solution,works great and cost less then 5 bucks.

butchfuzion
Explorer
Explorer
I have a roll up but with crew cab long bed I can't see jack. I bought a $2 piece of wood 2inches wide and three feet long and covered it with bright oarnge duct tape. I lay it in the bed lined up with the hitch. I can then see it plainly in the mirrored front of the king pin. Works pretty slick and cost about five bucks at Home Depot.

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
Luckily I can see the hitch and the pin approaching in my rear view mirror so tape required.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the locking FOLD-A-COVER hard plastic folding panels that stacks up behind the truck window about three inches when folded back.

When I was towing the fifth wheel I also used a small marker tape on my rear window to align up with the center of the pin box. I had good vision using the rear mirror to align things up with.

My ultimate goal back when I towing the fifth wheel was to get setup something like this for my truck.

About all I got installed was just the front bed mounted 'personal caddy' tool box before I stopped towing the fifth wheel. This was a bit hard to gain access with the fifth wheel in tow and I had to use the slide back feature of the hitch to use it.

photos from google search

Now all I do is tow my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer and my truck bed looks like this when on trips.

I really love my FOLD-A-COVER G4 ELITE and have moved it to two trucks since being purchased in 2008. Provides great lockable out-of-sight storage for all my goodies I can't live without on camping trips.. Everything under the folding panels is also protected from the weather elements.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MdMike1007
Explorer
Explorer
I have a backflip cover and after I hooked up I marked 2 stripes with white electric tape on inside of cover.

I use the lines to guide me to pin box.

Fire5er
Explorer
Explorer
Tape for me too.
2011 F350 CC, 6.7, LB, DRW.
Hijacker (24-UMS-21) 21k Underbox Hitch.
2014 Big Sky Montana
PressurePro Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

azchuckmo
Explorer
Explorer
I just put some kind of centerline maker so I can line up the hitch and pin.

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I used the tape trick. I put a piece of red electrical tape centered on the back edge of the folded BakFlip, used my rear view mirror, lined up with a sticker that is centered on the hitch pin box and, bingo, hit it the first time. Didn't even have to get out to look. I have an auto level system that will return to the level I used to unhook, which should make things even easier. Thanks for the tips.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use a wireless camera on the rear edge of my cover....works perfect every time.
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
I just line up the truck with the trailer, back up so far, get out and have a look, adjust if necessary, back into the king pin. Now I have a dually so the rear end of the truck is as wide as the trailer, almost so it's not to difficult. With a SRW truck find reference points on the trailer with the sides of the truck and back in.

X2

Usually just use the truck mirrors & back up to the trailer. I also have a tri fold cover. I do usually get out to check pin height to the hitch.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I don't fold the BakFlip all the way up vertically against the window. I leave the last fold down. There are loops to use bungie cords to secure it in this position. In my setup the hitch easily clears the bakflip including tight turns.

On the bakflip folded like this there are 2 rubber strips a few inches apart. I center the pin between these when backing. I still have to get out and check a couple times to get it perfect but fairly quick and easy to hitch by myself.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)