cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot and cold shower

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
Recently upgraded to a 2006 Sunnybrook 31BWKS. When taking a shower, with a full and hot, hot water tank. The shower starts out hot, then, the water pump kicks on, and it goes very cold. Water pump turns off, gets hot again, water pump turns on, goes very cold.
The dealers service department has looked at it twice, they say all the valves in the water lines are open as they should be. They claim it is part of the water saving feature, that the pump does NOT run constantly when the shower is on. And also claim the hot and cold is because my shower head is not mixing the water properly. I replaced the shower head and still have the same issue.
Is this normal, and can someone please please please give me a clue as to what is going on?
Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
readytow wrote:
I will look at the flow restrictor in the shower heads. Also with the shower head removed, the pump does not cycle on and off, it stays on. Course it will go thru a lot of water without the shower head....

Careful where you point that hose.........:W
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
I will look at the flow restrictor in the shower heads. Also with the shower head removed, the pump does not cycle on and off, it stays on. Course it will go thru a lot of water without the shower head....

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
readytow wrote:
With the shower head removed, it does not do the hot and cold cycle. It stays at whatever temperature I set it at. So, I have replaced the shower head with 3 different shower heads, every shower head does the hot/cold cycle. what do I do?

The water temp stays steady and pump doesn't cycle without the shower head(s) but does when shower head(s) are screwed on.

That is due to the flow restrictor in the shower head......remove it or drill it out. In the handle. Temp should stay steady and no pump cycling without restrictor.

Still will have a slight change of temp when using the on/off button on handle due to hot/cold mixing inside handle....so when you turn the shower head back on hold it away from you for a few seconds.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like the anti-scald feature in the faucet is defective. You've changed the shower head. Now replace the faucet.

And I have to say, I'm surprised your pump ever turns off with the shower head flowing. Mine have always run continuously with any decent amount of shower head flow. Perhaps someone has put an oversized pump in your rig.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
With the shower head removed, it does not do the hot and cold cycle. It stays at whatever temperature I set it at. So, I have replaced the shower head with 3 different shower heads, every shower head does the hot/cold cycle. what do I do?

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a Oxygenics shower head and this is how I use it. Turn on the HOT faucet full blast first, then after the hot water flows, turn on the cold faucet just as far as needed to get the right temperature, get in and shower. Works for me.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oxygenics don't flow more water they just mix cold/hot better plus add air to mix.

With the shower head removed & just hose attached to faucet does it react the same way.....pump cycling.pulsing hot/cold??

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem. I also have the Oxygenics head. I felt if head flowed more water it wouldnt happen. Mine is not that bad but wish it wouldnt happen.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
bypass valve is closed. I do get steady hot at the sinks. And I put in an Oxygenics Shower head, with the same hot and cold results. gah! frustrating!

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
So you get steady hot at the sinks?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your pump is reaching shut off pressure and turns off then pressure drops and pump turns back on. Cold water system has less restriction then hot so when pump turns back on cold flows first then hot catches up.

Either the pump pressure switch is set too low or the flow restrictor in shower is causing the pump cycling.
Remove shower hose from faucet and remove the restrictor in end of hose (may be in handle of shower wand). Might even have to drill it out to a larger size.

If it continues to short cycle..then you can increase the pressure set point.
On the end of pump center of head is a screw. Turn it 1/2 turn clockwise then check pump operation. Don't turn adjustment screw more than 1 1/2 turns total.

Folks have reported good showering with an Oxygenics Shower Head

Just for giggles...check the water heater valving.
Make sure the bypass valve is closed. Bypass valve connects cold and hot lines right at backside of water heater.

Thanks for your information! Turns out my bypass valve was open....no wonder my faucets were playing games with the hot and cold.

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I did not clarify, I am not on city water. Using what is in my holding tanks. And the outside shower is off. It only seems to do this in the bathroom shower.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off the water pump when using city water.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population