cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Are My A/C's Doing?

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I have a remote temp sensor outside under my curb side slide and it was showing 96 degrees outside a little while ago. I was nice and cool inside so I decided to see what the air temp was coming out of my a/c's. I used a Klein Infrared Thermometer and my rear 15K a/c air was 63 degrees, while the air from my front 13.5K a/c was 62. The temp for both was measured right at the air grill. Most of the air for both is ducted, but I opened the grill just enough to get a little flow through and then measured the temp of the grill after it had time to cool down with the flowing air.

I'm pleased.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010
16 REPLIES 16

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since the original question has been answered and the OP is a happy camper I am going to close this one.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
If you're comfortable they are working correctly

My thoughts exactly.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Using an infrared sensor will not give a true air temperature. You will read the temperature on the metal or plastic in front of the sensor.

With the fan on high you should see a temperature difference of 18 to 20 degF between the inlet air and outlet air close to the unit.

Trying to relate the units performance to outside present too may variables and is pretty useless.

Ken

I said in my original post I measured the grill.
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
filrupmark wrote:
I believe they are working fine.

So do I.
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
RV air conditioners are suppose to reduce the temp about 20 degree. The temp differential has nothing to do with outside temperature - both intake/outflow are measured from the inside of the RV. You don't need anything fancy to measure the temp differential. Outside temp obviously has has a significant impact on interior temp but that varies from rig to rig based on insulation, shade, etc.

As long as I'm comfortable I could care less about all of the calculations. I just posted some observed temps and I'm a Happy Camper.
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
Sounds about right and your ACs are functioning as designed. On really hot days it pays to start them early making it easier for them to keep up in the heat of the day.

I agree, but mine are on 24/7 since I full time. I do keep my rear air thermostat set 1 degree cooler during the day than the front a/c. Both units cycle on/off this way. If I have them set the same the front a/c runs continuously all day, but then the front of the trailer is facing SW with no shade.
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
tvman44 wrote:
To determine the differential you measure the return air & output air. Not the outside temp. 🙂

I am most interested in how comfortable I am inside when it is hot outside. In this case it was 96. Differential? I don't care as long as I'm comfortable. I don't want to analyze this to death, I was just curious what the cooled air temp was. It was obviously cool enough and doing it's job nicely.
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Since it's not possible to measure the temperature of air with an infrared thermometer you actually measured the duct plastic temperature most likely. This means the air itself was probably a little cooler that your measured temperature. Good job.

You are correct. I measured the plastic grill after I opened one of the vents slightly to allow some cooler air to pass by it.

I'm very happy with the performance.
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Using an infrared sensor will not give a true air temperature. You will read the temperature on the metal or plastic in front of the sensor.

With the fan on high you should see a temperature difference of 18 to 20 degF between the inlet air and outlet air close to the unit.

Trying to relate the units performance to outside present too may variables and is pretty useless.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If you're comfortable they are working correctly
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I believe they are working fine.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
RV air conditioners are suppose to reduce the temp about 20 degree. The temp differential has nothing to do with outside temperature - both intake/outflow are measured from the inside of the RV. You don't need anything fancy to measure the temp differential. Outside temp obviously has has a significant impact on interior temp but that varies from rig to rig based on insulation, shade, etc.
Kevin

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds about right and your ACs are functioning as designed. On really hot days it pays to start them early making it easier for them to keep up in the heat of the day.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
To determine the differential you measure the return air & output air. Not the outside temp. 🙂
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"