cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you secure your motorcycles inside your toyhauler?

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just bought our first toyhauler a couple of months ago. We are planning our first trip with the bikes in a few weeks and I was wondering how to tie the motorcycles down securely. Our rig does not have a separate garage so there is no forward wall to secure the bikes against. I would prefer to not tie them to the side walls to avoid tire marks.

I Really like the Bolt It On rack but $350+ is more than I want to spend Here

How do you guys secure your bikes in the back of your trailers? Have you built a similar system to the bolt it on? Pictures would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat
20 REPLIES 20

RickSo
Explorer
Explorer
I use these to secure my bikes. They work very well. I also installed L-track on the floor to hold down the Smart Car with wheel tie downs.
Rick
----------------------------------------
2015 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, 500/1850
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 Dually
2012 Excel W41GKE Wild Cargo Toy Hauler
2010 BMW K1300GT / 2008 BMW R1200GS
2016 Polaris RZR 1000S

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was deciding what system to use I felt the Biker Bar would cause a problem with ground clearance when loading in my Toy Hauler.

Biker Bar is strapless but I think I would still use at least two straps to pull forward into the lock, but that's just me...

I ended up going with the Condor...

Biker Bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VKc_w0R9_I

Condor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXgYFYrEk_E
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
There isnt a "Beats All" way to do this, ive tried everyway i can think of.

Last trip our Rhino lost one ratchet strap, but somehow stayed in place in the hauler, and ive been doing this for years....

See, i havent learned anything. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sorry to hear you lost a strap

I only use these http://www.harborfreight.com/over-the-wheel-tie-down-bonnet-97230.html
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Currently using the Harbor Freight chock coupled with tie downs front and rear. HArley makes a nice tie down bracket for the front forks that simplifies that point. Loop the rear wheel to keep it from shifting.
If I decide to stay with the tow hauler though, I'll be switching to the Biker Bar.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

roadking59
Explorer
Explorer
B&W Biker Bar ... Will install soon.
Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 SUPER DUTY 6.7
Grand Design Momentum 350M
2012 H-D ROADGLIDE Ultra

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
There isnt a "Beats All" way to do this, ive tried everyway i can think of.

Last trip our Rhino lost one ratchet strap, but somehow stayed in place in the hauler, and ive been doing this for years....

See, i havent learned anything. ๐Ÿ˜‰
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I place the bike in gear. Use two tie downs on the top of the handle bars to the floor so if you we're looking at the top of my bike as a clock being 12 my ties would be at 1 and 2. Then I tie down both foot pegs. Then I run another tie rapped around the rear wheel to the floor. I also place a knot in my tie downs just in case one does not hold. I have very large carabiners on both ends of my tie downs that way they won't come unhooked. If I have two bikes side to side I run a tie down in-between both handle bars.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

cutty72
Explorer
Explorer
two tie downs in the front, two in the rear.

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
For our Goldwing I use a moveable chock that I bolt down using the bolts into the frame for the front center tie down ring. I the use 2 cinching chicks to compress and secure the front forks, and 2 to tie down the back the the tie down rings- the bike is rock solid and does not move or wiggle at all.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest way and you don't have to spend any $$$$ is....tie down the front just like you would in the bed of a pickup, without the front wheel touching anything, then take 1 tie down to a foot peg and tie it down to a tie down point backward and pull to put pressure moving the bike rearward a little bit. I did this for many years, many bikes, works.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Toy Hauler is setup to carry two Harleys (although I usually only carry one). I use ride in Condor Chocks. I have used a Harbor Freight Chock like the above and for the money that is a pretty good deal. I went with condor because it's quality and the locking bracket that secures the chock to the floor makes the chock removable. You will want to stagger the chocks brackets.

I have three sections of Etrac that run down the sides and middle of the floor. Carpet over the Etrac can be left in or taken in and out. I cut the carpet around the condor brackets...

For heavy street bikes I would double strap the front. For the rear I just cross strap by going through the rear wheel (it's just to keep the bike from shifting..

By hauling the bike to one side I can still use one of the rear couches and part the garage when the bike is in transport..

PS. You don't want to carry your bikes with kick stand down..Can damage floor and hard on the bike too..
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
I also need some flexibility. I go from hauling just the Harley, to the Harley and the KTM dirt bike, to 2 full size ATV's or one of each. The Harley always goes in the fixed Condor chock, the KTM uses a moveable chock like above, the ATV's use moveable D rings in E-Track mounted along the sides of my garage floor.
Jim

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should say that I don't always haul the same load. Sometimes it is 1 bike and a couple quads. Sometimes 6 bikes. flexibility is key
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
I use a $69 Harbor Freight t-shaped chock place on a rubber mat, so it won't slide around on the floor. I use ratchet straps around the fork tubes/fender bolts (2 sets) one tied to the D-rings and one tied to the chock. I run another set up straps from the rear crash bars to the rear D-rings. My 950# Harley has never moved an inch.

20150311_182109 by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T