cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many years on your Cooper LT's?

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I coming up on 3 years of ownership on my Cooper SRM II's. For those of you also running Cooper LT's, how many years have you had them on your trailers and when should I plan on switching them out?
Mike
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....
7 REPLIES 7

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Jim it looks like the Discoverer H/T would work also
Both however have a lot of siping. Chris

Looking at Cooper website they advertise the Discoverer HT3 for commercial service.
The Discoverer H/T tire was around when Cooper Recommended the SRM II tires instead years ago. The SRM II was advertised for commercial service also.

I agree its a good looking tread but I have no idea why Cooper didn't give it a recommendation .

I've seen this before when a LT tire maker has several lines of LT's but only recommends one particular line for commercial service/trailer service.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
I see where TreadDepot.com is selling that 235-85-16E for $121, not including freight. That's quite a bargain in a tire.

I'm sold on the Maxxis M8008's for $160 for a ST tire.

The Bridgestone R250's and the Michelin XPS Rib tires stand out head over the competition for 16" fifth wheel tires. But they're substantially more expensive.

I'm going with Bridgestones on my new fifth wheel trailer--expected to arrive this week.

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
That's too bad about the SRM's. They are a true ribbed commercial grade tire.
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim it looks like the Discoverer H/T would work also
Both however have a lot of siping. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
rattleNsmoke wrote:
I coming up on 3 years of ownership on my Cooper SRM II's. For those of you also running Cooper LT's, how many years have you had them on your trailers and when should I plan on switching them out?
Mike

I ran the Cooper SRM II on several equipment trailers some years back. They gave me no problems.
I have two trailers ready for tires by this fall and looked online for the SRM II. There gone now. A quick email top Cooper for input on which LT tire they now recommend for trailer use.

Email question and answer;

Email to to Cooper Tire;

I used several sets of SRM II LT235/85-16 E on my trailers after Cooper tech folks recommended them with great success. One triaxle trailer is due for new tires before winter but I don't see the the SRM II on your web. Question is which one of your highway tread LT235/85-16 E tires do you recommend for using on trailers now ?/ Thanks..... Jim

answer;
Cook, Les B. (LBCOOK@coopertire.com) Add to contacts 7:40 AM Keep this message at the top of your inbox
LBCOOK@coopertire.com
Jim, the replacement for the SRM II tire is the Discoverer HT3 tire. This is an excellent tire for your trailer application. Thanks, Les

Hope the new HT3 LT's are as good as the old SRM II LT tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
My cooper LT's have been on for two weeks and have about 15 miles on them ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope they last longer than the Chinese ones from the dealer which was about 5 months and 2200 miles before I got a bubble and said goodbye.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions on this. On our 2007 5th wheel (purchased in 2006) the Cooper Maxxis lasted longer then anything else, the Chinese marathon's that the manufacturer put on lasted slightly less than 1 year, the Cooper Maxxis lasted over 3 years. We were in Williams, AZ and got ripped off by a tire shop there, told us they were Cooper private brand, uh huh. The last set, bought in PA, can't remember the brand. We traded it in on a different 5th wheel later that year. Our 5'r weighed 16,200 and we travel only 6 months of the year.