cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how much pin box movement is normal?

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I see this posted somewhat but I can't get a clear answer - my unit it still basically new I noticed that then I hook it up the distance from the bottom of the front cap and the pin box (checked pin box torque and its right on)gets closer by about 3/8" - 1/2" and while driving I can see about another equal amount of movement - I have one of those pin mount RV levelers mounted up there and its actually slightly scraped on the bottom of the front cap and the measurement is exactly 5/8" as far as I can tell.

I'm going to hook up the truck tonight and take some pictures and measurements.

here's a picture of the said level gauge that really helps me see the movement:

Alex
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7
12 REPLIES 12

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
larry barnhart wrote:
From what has been posted on rv.net I would not take what Lippert feels is ok to be a fact.

chevman

ROFLMAO!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
From what has been posted on rv.net I would not take what Lippert feels is ok to be a fact.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
took the measurements from the points that the Lippert sheet stated and I'm getting less than 1/8" from sitting on the landing gear to sitting on the hitch in difference on one side and 1/4" on the other side.

this is the form I'm referring to:
http://rvman.net/temp/LippertUpper-Deck-Flex-Measurement-Instructions.pdf
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
If I had 1/2 of pin box movement I would re-build the entire pin box area with 1/4 wall tubing, There is no way 1/2 plus is normal.
Mine moves about 1/8 inch and I would prefer that it diddnt move at all.
Of course extended pin boxes make the problem even worse by providing a giant lever action to your front frame.
You should investigate why you are seeing that much movement.
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400
2007 Chevy 3500HD CC,LB Dually 8.1

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Should have no or very little movement. I noticed our, when new, 2004 Sandpiper pin box wasn't moving but the front cap was. It was opened up and found the screws used to hold the sidewalls to the frame had never been installed. Well we fixed that problem and while in there, beefed up the sorry build by bracing the overhang and pin box attachment.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
1/4" to 3/8" FLEX is what NUWA stated would be considered normal when I questioned them about movement I was noticing.

Took my 5vr into them .......they found pin box structure/supports were solid but drivers sidewall bolt was broken allowing off-set side to side difference
(Curb side no excess movement---roadside had 5/8" movement when hooking up)

They 're-bolted' sidewall to overhang frame by adding extra bolts in a 'W' pattern

So if you have change in measurements from hooked up (all weight on hitch) to unhooked (weight on front landing gear legs) then a Visual Inspection is advisable.
Remove overhang panel/cover and check ALL braces/cross members/pin-box/sidewall for movement and/or cracks/stresses hooked/unhooked
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I also have the 5th Airborne. The top part of his pin box where his level is mounted is bolted rigidly to the frame and should not flex. It is the lower plate where the king pin is attached that does the flexing.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
just spoke to my dealer service guy, he pulled out the Lippert upper deck frame flex info and offered to measure it for me or let me do it myself. I told him about the movement I had been seeing and roughly the measurements. He was not overly concerned as that seems to be inline with what Lippert and some of the manufacturers alow for. He did ask me about any caulking that was cracked or cracking, cracks in the fibeglass or any of the interior panels/cabinets or elsewhere. I checked everything very carefully on Monday and could not see anything that was out of place.

I'll take the measurements and follow up with him so he can see what KZ says.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
He's referring to frame flex, not pinbox. His 5th Airborne has nothing to do with whats being discussed. The same frame flex would be there with a rigid pinbox.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
You have a 5th Airborne, which uses essentially an airbag in the pin box to minimize road shocks. It is adjustable by adding/removing air pressure. See the manual. It sounds like you may need to add more air, and that some up/down movement is to be expected so that you don't have as many road shocks transmitted to the tow vehicle. Call Reese first to verify whether the amount you observe is normal, and what adjustments they suggest if it is not.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I would say normal. Metal flexes... Nothing is entirely rigid on any trailer so some amount of flex (1/2" or so) is expected. More than in inch I would be a little concerned. I had the exact same situation where my level (mounted in exact same spot as yours) made contact with the bottom of front cap while towing. Bout 1/2" gap while sitting unhooked.

Most just don't notice the movement/flex but since you have your level there it becomes more apparent.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
AFAIC there should be no movement. Any movement indicates flex somewhere and that means it isn't as solid as it should be. The amount of movement you've indicated points to a problem, maybe not serious yet, but as things flex, bend, and fracture it will surely get worse.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"