cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How often do you drain hot water heater tank?

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Camping every other weekend or so, I've always drained the tank after every trip. Talking to my dad, he thinks I'm nuts and drains his once a year, when he winterizes. What do you weekend campers do?
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021
55 REPLIES 55

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Drained and flushed out the small amount of STUFF from the bottom the tank. The dealer 1.5 years earlier had replaced the anode not sure if he flushed at the time. The anode looked very good with just some spots all around.

I will proba bly flush again next year and see how the anode looks and if there is any STUFF!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BiggestRon
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
Well there is no winterizing and no end of season here, so never

X2
Ron and Sue

If Wisdom is a virtue of old age then gravity is its vice.

Desist from numerically calculating fowls which have failed to fully realized their proper incubation period.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
After every trip. Saves on the anode rod and eliminates the smelly water. When empty and rod out whatever water is in the tank evaporates. We have never had a rust problem in the tank since we've been camping. It takes less then 30 seconds to pull that rod out. The piece of mind not hearing he wife complain about smelly water ... Priceless ๐Ÿ˜‰

alfresco
Explorer
Explorer
Once a year, when I winterize.
Patti & Ron
07 2500HD 4x4 Silverado
23' Hornet 5er

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Newer
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
Once or twice a year. Twice when I winterize twice because I travel twice when freezing outside.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Farmer David wrote:
I do not winterize any more but I do drain and flush out water heater about 4 times a year. The water in south Texas and Arizona gives you a lot of white crude build up and needs to be flushed every couple months.

X2 on Arizona. I have a home in Yuma and I flush my hot water tank once a month. Each time I get a significant amount of sediment from the tank. I had to replace the hot water heater last winter and I hope this practice will extend the tank life of my new heater. In my mind it will.
I installed a ball valve both on my home and trailer tanks. It only takes a couple minutes to flush both tanks.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I drain mine at the end of every trip right before I leave the campground.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
Over the years I've had a sulfer smell come from the hot water after it sits for a couple of weeks. Seems worse depending on which campgrounds I've frequented. After having to drain and back flush numerous times I've gotten in the habit of draining the tank. Takes two minutes. No smelly water since I've been doing it. Seems a no brainer for me.

Ditto. We used to get the same smelly water from our water heater. Started draining it between trips and no more smelly water. phillip
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
When I winterize.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
stro1965 wrote:
One follow-up question...

I think I know the answer to this but, when filling the fresh water tank through the city water connection (that's how my rig works anyway), does the water heater always automatically fill first? Or does it only fill on demand once I open a hot water faucet inside the camper?

I have found that the tank has to be "burped" via the pressure relief valve to allow the air out. Otherwise it takes a while to fill the heater and the faucets spit air for a while.

So you just relieve the pressure for a few seconds as you start to fill the tank?

I relieve the pressure while filling the tank until air stops coming out and water is flowing steadily. I make sure I'm wearing flip-flops or sandals when I do this, because wet feet are a near-certainty.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Farmer_David
Explorer
Explorer
I do not winterize any more but I do drain and flush out water heater about 4 times a year. The water in south Texas and Arizona gives you a lot of white crude build up and needs to be flushed every couple months.
2013 F450 King Ranch CC Long Box
60 Gal RDS Tank
20K B&W OEM Hitch
2013 Lifestyle 37IK

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
stro1965 wrote:

I think I know the answer to this but, when filling the fresh water tank through the city water connection (that's how my rig works anyway), does the water heater always automatically fill first? Or does it only fill on demand once I open a hot water faucet inside the camper?

I have found that the tank has to be "burped" via the pressure relief valve to allow the air out. Otherwise it takes a while to fill the heater and the faucets spit air for a while.

So you just relieve the pressure for a few seconds as you start to fill the tank?
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:

2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...