cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-85 Reopens through Atlanta

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Early Sunday morning all lanes through downtown Atlanta were reopened. It took only 6 weeks to rebuild two bridges that were destroyed by fire. Even though the contractor received a huge bonus for completing the work early, the community wants to know why all road improvements aren't done that quickly!:B
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4
7 REPLIES 7

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I was over that span many times while the replacements were done. The interstate commerce effect of one bridge down on an artery like i5 runs into 100s of millions if not more. The pressure to repair is priority 1. That road keeps the west coast running.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same thing happen in Mount Vernon/Burlington, Wa a few years ago. A wide/high load kocked down a bridge span over the Skagit River on I-5. Temp Bailey bridge was install in record time. New permanent span was built next to the Bailey bridge and then a short closure occurred while they removed the Bailey bridge and slid the new span over into place.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
#4 reason - No Utilities to relocate
[purple]WILLIEBAGO[/purple]

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

[purple]Go K-State Wildcats[/purple]

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Three reasons,
#1. All the right of way is already in the states hands.
#2. Almost no design work the designs are already in archives.
#3. No enviromatal studies.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear all lanes open now in Atlanta... Bet that was a nightmare... All I remember with the Atlanta loop traffic is it seems everytime I got in a lane and somewhat settled down the lane disappears on me and I have move over a lane...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
waltbennett wrote:
It's all about the money. To do something like this requires lots and lots of it. I'd bet the expense of restoring that highway was probably three times as much (or even more) as if it'd been done the usual way. Doing infrastructure improvements or repairs the way we do in this country these days (not until something breaks) is the only way they can be done without raising taxes to pay for them. Show me of a politician that will say we need to do that, and I'll show you one that won't be in office next week. We've only ourselves to blame.

Completely correct! I just thought it was funny that they are saying that when the same ones are complaining about the repaving of the south end is so expensive:B
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
It's all about the money. To do something like this requires lots and lots of it. I'd bet the expense of restoring that highway was probably three times as much (or even more) as if it'd been done the usual way. Doing infrastructure improvements or repairs the way we do in this country these days (not until something breaks) is the only way they can be done without raising taxes to pay for them. Show me of a politician that will say we need to do that, and I'll show you one that won't be in office next week. We've only ourselves to blame.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.