cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought a Fifth-Wheel

Bjcombs1989
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have been looking at trailers for about two months now and finally decided to purchase one that came up on a local Buy/Sell/Trade site.

We got a 1994 Wilderness Fifth Wheel with an existing Gooseneck Conversion. I'll be towing it with my 07 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Duramax and Allison) once I get the gooseneck installed.

I live in Central Texas, so freezes only happen about twice a year. I plan on updating the interior of the trailer as it is very outdated, but it is at least in good condition.

So, my question is, as a first time trailer buyer, what recommendations (either replies or recommended threads) do the well-seasoned travelers have for me?

Pictures:

1994 Wilderness Fifth Wheel Series M-30-5X
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD (Duramax & Allison)
36 REPLIES 36

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 1994 Terry 5th wheel before my current trailer. The older trailers are straight across the front and more likely to make contact with the cab of a short bed truck than tne newer curved or notched-front models. I went with the Superglide (bought new for about $1800 installed with rails and in-bed plug connector). But that was quite a few years ago. I see ads for them used on CL quite often. I have never come close to hitting the cab even on tight turns. I considered extending the pin box but decided against after reading about the added stress on the frame. Since the mfr was out of business, I had no way of finding out if this would be an issue. The Superglide has performed flawlessly and I'm still using it some 12 years later with my 2011 Arctic Fox.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
Bjcombs1989 wrote:
Thank you to all who posted about the hitch/shortbed situation. This was something I didn't research before I bought it.

I found a superglide 2700 hitch for $879, which is the best new deal I can find on a Superglide... That plus the rails for my truck will run me a little over a grand, but based on your input and my research, it's the best long term and safest option.

Any good used superglides out there? I found one locally for 600 but for that price I think I'm just as well buying new...

If the used one is in good shape I'd probably buy it since it would save you over $300 by not paying any taxes but that would be your call. You may be able to get a little cheaper than that too.

I think everybody has most of the maintenance covered but you might want to think about buying other things if your camper doesn't have them. Water hose, chocks, tire levelers, tv (if it doesn't have one), kitchen utensils and the list can go on and on. Oh yeah, a good sewer hose is a must.

The main thing is to be safe and have fun.

Danny

OverNightSensat
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can save you a few dollars more. I got one here last fall, $849.98 http://www.dyersonline.com/pullrite-industry-standard-16k-superglide-5th-wheel-hitch.html
2020 Chevrolet C/C 3500HD DRW Duramax
2021 Vengeance Rogue Armored 351 G2 Toy Hauler 45''
2021 Can Am Maverick Trail 1000 DPS

If a hammer can't fix it, you got yourself an electrical problem!

Bjcombs1989
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all who posted about the hitch/shortbed situation. This was something I didn't research before I bought it.

I found a superglide 2700 hitch for $879, which is the best new deal I can find on a Superglide... That plus the rails for my truck will run me a little over a grand, but based on your input and my research, it's the best long term and safest option.

Any good used superglides out there? I found one locally for 600 but for that price I think I'm just as well buying new...

Bjcombs1989
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Mike. I personally looked it over and it looks in great condition for it's age, but I have no doubt I'll be replacing some of the caulking.

There is no evidence inside of water damage, so hopefully that is a good sign.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would hope you inspected the roof, caulking etc before you purchased. With a purchase this old, you might have been well served to pay a professional to inspect it. But, if that's water under the bridge, my first checks would be roof and caulking etc.. make sure it is waterproof. Then, wheel bearings, brakes, suspension inspection, tires.. as pointed out, if they are more than 5 years old (I say 3 personally), then replace them. Trailers do not move as much as cars, so dry rot is inevitable.

Track down all the grounding locations, and make sure there's a good ground. Remove, reset as necessary. Ground problems are a major cause of electrical gremlins.

Consider taking the battery to your local autozone/advance auto parts for a battery check. It's free.

You are on the way to a new hobby and great times for you and your wife. Enjoy it all.. even the maintenance and check out. You are getting to know the RV better and that's important when you are out on the road and something happens.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

fireguy60
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with Iaknox, get rid of the gooseneck adapter and get a FW hitch and extended pinbox.
fireguy60

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats and enjoy!

There can be a ton of little things you want to address as you get more familiar with the trailer so don't lose heart if it seems like everything is wearing out at one time.

We had a 95 Layton and we ended up having to upgrade the tires, water heater, heater bypass valve (bad winterization before we bought it), propane regulator, and many little things. I did everything myself except for the tires and the awning replacement. The Awning was destroyed in a storm though.

The roof is important, check your caulking, check your roof vents and fittings as the hard plastic fittings tend to become brittle with time.

Thanks!

Enjoy the journey!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
Keep a running list on your coffee table. Two columns. One for things that need to be done, another for things that need to be purchased now and down the line. Your to-do list is going to be the big one- you'll think of new things to check, fix, or replace every day. You'll have fun doing everything, though, and end up having a really nice RV. Have fun!

P.S. There are lots of forums out there, and they all have some kind of checklist. Print yourself out one of those for starters, and then it's good every time you take off.
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
newman fulltimer wrote:
For that short bed change the pin box to a extended pin box and get a B&w patriot hitch(that square front will hit the cab)

YES! Personally, I'd ditch the GN adapter and get a "proper" FW hitch. Slider, or not, your call. The setup in my sig will =not= hit my cab when going forward, at full lock L or R. ALL will hit in reverse; a slider just gives you more time before you DO hit. YMMV...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Really looks like nice setup
bet you cant wait to get going.
Been camping 45 yrs with best friend my wife.
never regretted it once. God gave me a great wife

found out she has cancer, been battling for 1 yr.
go when you can and have fun
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

Bjcombs1989
Explorer
Explorer
bbaker2001 wrote:
Yes
check the box clearance. I dont think it will clear

Yeah my toolbox on my truck has to go. Not huge deal I just bought it used last week and haven't even bolted it down yet.

Thanks for the tip on the tires and bearings, my to do list is growing

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
For that short bed change the pin box to a extended pin box and get a B&w patriot hitch(that square front will hit the cab)

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Yes
check the box clearance. I dont think it will clear
when I bought my 2001 replace bearing and tires
sealed roof, checked awning
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck.
Keep and eye on the clearance between your tool box and lower front corner during turns.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax