cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need help with a new hitch

Ricpin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a new grand design. I've got a 16k superglide. The new 5er will be heavier about 17k. I would like to get a new 20k slider hitch. Would like to get something other than another superglide. So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Ricpin wrote:
I have a 2015 gmc 3500hd with a short bed. I'm buying a Solitude 375RES-R.

My son has a '15 SRW chevy Z71 crew cab Dmax/A short bed and pulls a 35' bunk house 5th wheel trailer that has the rounded/notched corners for short bed trucks.
His pin is set up zero over the trucks rear axle giving his combo around 5"-6" of cab to trailer clearance at any time at any angle.

AS MFL mentioned GM has the longest CA (cab to axle) dimension of the big three truck makers at 41 1/4".

I would check with your trailer mfg and see if the 375 RES-R has the rounded/notched corners made for short bed trucks. No cents/sense in buying a expensive auto slider IFif its not needed.

Let google be your friend in looking at all the hitch makers auto sliding hitches.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
If you have mounting rails in your truck there is no reason why a 18K B&W Patriot wouldn't be a good choice. Either as a slider or fixed mount. The mounting arms on them can be installed with a small setback. They are just a great hitch and made in America with all American materials. I went from a 16K Super Glide to one of these. No more slack or banging and clanging. Very easy to hitch and unhitch.

B.O.

This is what I have also except the 16k version. I have a 2015 Ram short bed and I have the hitch set back with gracious clearance. Its a incredibly stout hitch that sets in and out with no sweat and the head has the quick release handles. Highly recommended by me and second not needing a slider.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have mounting rails in your truck there is no reason why a 18K B&W Patriot wouldn't be a good choice. Either as a slider or fixed mount. The mounting arms on them can be installed with a small setback. They are just a great hitch and made in America with all American materials. I went from a 16K Super Glide to one of these. No more slack or banging and clanging. Very easy to hitch and unhitch.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to have a 12k Pullrite for my older, smaller FW and liked it. Tried to use a fixed hitch for our new FW and the corners of the RV "kissed" the back of the TV cab twice but fortunately did no damage other than paint rubs. I changed to an 18k Demco Hitchhiker slider whichs works fine. I would have gotten another Pullrite but it wasn't height adjustable; the Demco is.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
SkiSmuggs wrote:
I went with the Andersen Ultimate in my short bed F350. 35 lbs. It moves the connection 5" further back and reduces the risk of hitting the cab.

Ditto. Mine is the rail mount version and I also use it flipped back. I think it's rated for 20k lbs. Some folks will inevitably be along to dump all over it shortly, but they work great as far as I'm concerned.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Andersen Ultimate in my short bed F350. 35 lbs. It moves the connection 5" further back and reduces the risk of hitting the cab.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Ricpin wrote:
I'm looking at a new grand design. I've got a 16k superglide. The new 5er will be heavier about 17k. I would like to get a new 20k slider hitch. Would like to get something other than another superglide. So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

To answer your question, if you need another slider, there are only two that are "autslide" as far as I know. Your superglide, just in a heavier model, or the Demco hijacker autoslide. I have the Demco now, and really like it. It is the 21K model. Manual sliders are a waste of money in my opinion, as often the slide is forgotten until too late, or not used at all.

If you don't want a slider, then there are a multitude of choices. B&W is a favorite, and Anderson is gaining popularity.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
GM HD trucks have the longest distance from the rear axle center, to the back of cab. My Ford rear axle center is 41"s behind cab. My hitch pin center is one inch forward of axle center. If you are just an aware kind of driver, I'd suggest a quality non-sliding hitch of your choice. Many, many are towing FWs with short bed/standard actually, trucks with no slider. Do some hit the cab? YUP...however just a bit of awareness could avoid this in most cases.

Jerry

Ricpin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 gmc 3500hd with a short bed. I'm buying a Solitude 375RES-R.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't say which Grand Design you're considering - I'm assuming a Solitude or a Momentum - or whether you have a long or short bed. We pulled a GD Reflection fifth wheel (14K) with a short bed truck without a slider for 15,000 miles and never had a problem. As stated, the shape of the new front caps makes a big difference.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most newer FWs have a rounded front, and a somewhat extended pin box. Are you sure you really need a slider hitch? You don't say what your TV is, but GMs work well with standard hitch, as does my Ford.

Jerry

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Do yourself a fav get a regular hitch and a sidewinder pin box