cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Independent slide controls

busmanRG
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a Class C with a single slide. Looking to move over to a 5th wheel with multiple slides. It seems that many of the units are a single switch for all slides (vs each slide operating independently). When I questioned it, the sales rep said that you can disconnect (?) the connections to put only one out a time if needed. Could you chime in on this and give me a better explanation of the concept? Do any of you do this? My concern was being able to open up the kitchen slide slightly at rest stops to allow access to the refer without opening up the entire unit or even opening only one side in a tight campground.

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

RedRam
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't think it mattered a whole lot but...
When we pull over for a lunch break while traveling DW has full access to the kitchen area including the frig,stove,microwave and sinks if needed.We can squeeze between the slide and counter without any problem and sit at the dining table and eat lunch.The bathroom is upstairs and is easy access since there are two doors so you don't have to go thru the bedroom to get to it.
We bought this Bighorn in 08 and have spent up to six months at a time in it and enjoyed every minute.Wouldn't change anything in it as it suits us just fine.
2016 Laramie Longhorn Aisin Trans
2016 Bighorn 3970RD

RedRam
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Bighorn 3970RD

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
The hydraulic slides in our 5th wheel have individual switches.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Our new Montana has three slides and two are hydraulic. It also has the 6 point level up system and part of that is two valves you can turn off to operate the slides independent of each other. I have not needed to do that but I can very easy.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

busmanRG
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
Our Grand Design Reflection 303 has independent switches for the three slides and you can access the fridge, sink, one counter top and some cupboards without opening any slides. Not the pantry though.

That was a big consideration for us as well when buying.

I'll make sure and check out your unit at the Pomona show in October!

busmanRG
Explorer
Explorer
ESVA Travelers wrote:
We have a Cedar Creek 36CKTS with 3 hydraulic slides. Although there is a single switch to open/close the slides, you can also select to open/leave closed one or more of the slides. I haven't personally done this, but it can't be difficult to access and operate or my husband would have complained about it. It has been no big deal when we have wanted to open a slide to access a closet or certain cabinets.
That said, having access to the refrigerator and bathroom without having to move a slide makes a pit stop to use the bathroom or grab a drink from the fridge a lot easier and quicker.

Exactly!!! The bathroom/bedroom is accessible, the fridge is not. Not a deal breaker, but definitely part of the conversation. We're going to the Pomona show in October and will continue our search. Really like the Alpine 3100RL though. Hoping to pull the trigger on a new unit this spring!

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Our Grand Design Reflection 303 has independent switches for the three slides and you can access the fridge, sink, one counter top and some cupboards without opening any slides. Not the pantry though.

That was a big consideration for us as well when buying.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are electric (3 slides) and independent. I can hand crank them in if my battery goes south. Hopefully that doesn't happen. As well, I can normally access my fridge with the kitchen slide closed if I hadn't put in a beer fridge that slips part way under the island.

ESVA_Travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Cedar Creek 36CKTS with 3 hydraulic slides. Although there is a single switch to open/close the slides, you can also select to open/leave closed one or more of the slides. I haven't personally done this, but it can't be difficult to access and operate or my husband would have complained about it. It has been no big deal when we have wanted to open a slide to access a closet or certain cabinets.
That said, having access to the refrigerator and bathroom without having to move a slide makes a pit stop to use the bathroom or grab a drink from the fridge a lot easier and quicker.
Eastern Shore of VA Travelers
2005 F250, 2011 Cedar Creek 34SB 5th Wheel

RedRam
Explorer
Explorer
My RV has hydraulic slides and is controlled with one switch.I can let all three of them out at once or I can control which one or ones I want out by closing that valve.
2016 Bighorn 3970RD

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

busmanRG
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
You need to get a floorplan that will allow you to access the kitchen with the slides in if this is your concern

Easier said than done. Not many of those out there. We've been looking!

busmanRG
Explorer
Explorer
We really like the Alpine and yes, it has hydraulic slides.

ZOSO
Explorer
Explorer
busmanRG wrote:
We currently have a Class C with a single slide. Looking to move over to a 5th wheel with multiple slides. It seems that many of the units are a single switch for all slides (vs each slide operating independently). When I questioned it, the sales rep said that you can disconnect (?) the connections to put only one out a time if needed. Could you chime in on this and give me a better explanation of the concept? Do any of you do this? My concern was being able to open up the kitchen slide slightly at rest stops to allow access to the refer without opening up the entire unit or even opening only one side in a tight campground.

Thanks!

That salesman is telling you anything to make the sale! Could what he said be done? Most likely. Would it be a royal pain in the a$$ to have to do it? Definitely! disconnect-reconnect-disconnect-reconnect...Gimme a break! Every fiver we've owned had independent slides therefore, I'm not really going to be able to help you. If anything, installing some extra switches (assuming slides are electric) would be a far cry better than the disconnect-reconnect routine suggested by the salesperson. These salespeople never cease to amaze me with their idiocy!!!