cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS IT ME OR CAMPING WORLD

bigdw58
Explorer
Explorer
I need to get my 5th wheel raised to match my new truck. So I went to Camping World this afternoon to see about having it done. My RV is a Sunnybrook that has factory holes in the spring hangers for raising the RV. Camping World say this is not a good idea because it may cause the axels to get out of alignment. They say to do an axel flip to gain the extra clearance. I think this would have a bigger chance of getting the axels out of alignment. I am crazy or missing something here or is it camping world????
2016 FORD F350 SD LARIAT 4x4
2001 Sunny Brook 27RKS 5th Wheel
13 REPLIES 13

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Raising the hitch for more bed clearance raises the nose even higher.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I've never owned a 5er but have seen a LOT of them.....and the attachment pin mechanism, whatever that is called, is NOT the same on all of them. Some have substantially more "rise" above the attachment point than others. But you are right, that I was just guessing that by taking some of them apart they could be re-assembled to make the attachment point higher or lower.

I guess you are saying that none of them work like that ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
SabreCanuck wrote:
IdaD wrote:

I needed it for rail clearance and to even the load out on the axles.

Not to mention ensuring each axle has similar weight load.

I'm pretty sure that he did mention that.

I'm assuming that there is no adjustment left in the "hitch" (what is that called with a 5th wheel ??)

Two trains of thought by the folks that (seem) to know what they are talking about.
As more posts are added - one solution may prevail over the other.
Number one choice becomes number two?

Sooooo - why not cut to the chase, and call the tech line for the mfgr of your 5th wheel and ask?..:@

Even if it's a few years old - they are usually very helpful, and informative - and then you can decide which "path" you want to follow.

BTW - (IMO) I would prefer a second "eyes on" opinion to the one from CW.

Good luck!

~

stroz4
Explorer
Explorer
Axle flip...
2008 F-350 V10 4x4
2003 palomino 1000
Retired U.S.Army

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
IdaD wrote:

I needed it for rail clearance and to even the load out on the axles.

Not to mention ensuring each axle has similar weight load.

I'm pretty sure that he did mention that.

I'm assuming that there is no adjustment left in the "hitch" (what is that called with a 5th wheel ??)
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
bigdw58 wrote:
They say to do an axel flip to gain the extra clearance.

How much of a raise do you need ??

And is it really needed or is it just to make it look "right" when going down the road ??

I needed it for rail clearance and to even the load out on the axles. Not to mention getting the rear-end hardware up off the ground a bit so I didn't tear it off on a bad road.

Not to mention ensuring each axle has similar weight load. (Depending on severity of nose high of course)
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
bigdw58 wrote:

And is it really needed or is it just to make it look "right" when going down the road ??

I needed it for rail clearance and to even the load out on the axles. Not to mention getting the rear-end hardware up off the ground a bit so I didn't tear it off on a bad road.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
bigdw58 wrote:

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I got nearly 6" from an axle flip on my fifth wheel and it fits my Ram perfectly now. I spent a total of $90 for the two spring hanger kits and did the job myself.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used the holes on our 07.5 Mobile suites to raise it to it's highest setting with no ill effects. Had the TrailAire CenterPoint Suspension.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
So an axle flip adds about 5.5"! Jack plates (different holes in spring mounts) are normally at 2" Spacing. If your springs are in the top holes(those closer to the frame rails) then moving to the first lower hole raise the rig 2" at the axles and 2.5-2.75" at the rear.

So the question is how far do you need to go up?

On our Cardinal we did flip the axles, and then lowered it 2" on the spring mounts for a net increase of 3.5" to get it to ride level.

From your profile:

2016 FORD F350 SD LARIAT 4x4
2001 Sunny Brook 27RKS 5th Wheel

You may need the 5.5".

There is also the subframe addition way of lifting a trailer. You may however be looking for new steps with 4 treads.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bigdw58 wrote:
I need to get my 5th wheel raised to match my new truck. So I went to Camping World this afternoon to see about having it done. My RV is a Sunnybrook that has factory holes in the spring hangers for raising the RV. Camping World say this is not a good idea because it may cause the axels to get out of alignment. They say to do an axel flip to gain the extra clearance. I think this would have a bigger chance of getting the axels out of alignment. I am crazy or missing something here or is it camping world????

Do the axle flip, then adjust the springs down if still more clearance is needed. I'd also do a wet bolt kit at the same time. I'd certainly consider using another shop than CW, as I've had too many friends have issues with them.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigdw58 wrote:

Axle flip much better all the way around!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"