cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco, what does the dealer know that I don't know?

rbcurtis
Explorer
Explorer
Both Jayco dealers here in the Salt Lake City area have tried talking us out of a Jayco, and to go with a Montana or Cougar instead. I'm just wondering why. Our first trailer was a brand new 2003 Jayco bumper pull and we loved it. I really wish we had kept it, but wanted to try the toy hauler route. We now want to go to a fifth wheel with slides. We liked our Jayco so much, maybe because it was our first, I don't know, but we really have our hearts set on going back to a Jayco. We are open to other brands, but cannot find another that has the large capacity fresh water tank or floor plan we like as much as the Jayco's, but even the Jayco dealer talks them down and keeps pushing the Keystone trailers. I'm sure Keystone is also a good brand, but why do we need a 90 gallon black tank when our fresh water tank is only 64 gallons? Is there something the dealers know that we don't as far as Jayco fifth wheels or slides?
Randy

2007 Chevrolet Suburban
2008 Stellar Lightening L24 LFS
25 REPLIES 25

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
Not every item is paid for by the factory under warranty such as adjustments. Been told this by many dealers including a relative that was a long time dealer. Dealers work "adjustment" money into the sale price.

Getting a local dealer to repair another delers sale is not the same as being on the road. If they see a local address they will put you on the end of the list servicing their customers first....something I as one of his customers would expect.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
"So he said if I bought a trailer elsewhere and went to him for warranty he would charge me the difference that warranty didn't pay."

Nothing more than fear mongering sales tactics mixed in with some homegrown dishonesty.

This was a service manager and it taught me to have a good talk with any service manager before assuming warranty coverage. So far my selling dealer and manufacturer have been great to deal with. Dealer is 4 hours away but also we are always driving by when we camp so no big inconvenience considering no dealer closer sold the brand I wanted. The local fool can pound sand.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
"So he said if I bought a trailer elsewhere and went to him for warranty he would charge me the difference that warranty didn't pay."

Nothing more than fear mongering sales tactics mixed in with some homegrown dishonesty.

mwebber78
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't shy away from either, but its hard without a tangible bag of proof that a keystone fifth wheel is any better or worse then Jayco. I'd go with the floorplan you like, even if that requires an order. The Jayco does afford you a two year warranty. I've also found the structure in Jayco to be very sturdy compared to others, typically using plywood in place of OSB or laminated wood products.
2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
...but why do we need a 90 gallon black tank when our fresh water tank is only 64 gallons?

Have you ever stayed in a park with W&E only?
Most state parks I stay in are like that. 90g tank would be wonderful!
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Olde_Volks_Plac
Explorer
Explorer
To the above poster "Now that is some FUNNY stuff right there I don't care who you are"

Thanks I needed that 🙂 "used groceries"

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
The warranty thing was explained to me by a local dealer like this. If they sell you a trailer they make enough on the sale to make up for the fact that warranty rates are much lower than standard shop rates. So he said if I bought a trailer elsewhere and went to him for warranty he would charge me the difference that warranty didn't pay. To say the least he will never see a penny from me and never see my new trailer.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
rbcurtis wrote:
why do we need a 90 gallon black tank when our fresh water tank is only 64 gallons?

Beer ? 🙂

Because there is water and "used groceries" going into the black.....
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion Jayco is a better trailer then the Montana. I also had a Jayco bumper pull trailer that we never had a problem with. Stick with what you want.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
rbcurtis wrote:
Thanks everyone. I didn't think about different profit margins, and you're correct that they both have tons of Cougars and Montanas on their lots, but not the Jayco's with bunks, which is what we're looking for. We planned on custom ordering one with the exact options we want anyway, so I don't know why they think we have to take one off their lot in order to get the sale. Its not like we don't currently have a trailer to use until the new one comes in. Someone suggested we shop some out of state dealers if we're planning to order a new one anyway. Anyone had experience buying out of state but then getting service done at a local dealer?

Yes some great deals have been made using out of state dealers.
BUT problems have occurred when trying to get warranty & regular service done locally.
Local dealers can be 'vindictive' by putting your rig to back of line for repairs, delaying ordering parts, letting repairs slip thru the cracks etc.
NOT right BUT hard to prove and do anything about it.

Finding a 'good' competent service department can be more important then saving a few bucks on deal.

Just something to consider.

Then again, I have a real problem with sales pushing me towards a different product when they handle the product I am interested in.

Agree the dealer is "pushing" his slow sellers and/or brands with a better profit margin.

Disagree!!- with "problems have occurred" by buying out-of state.

Let's hear em - IMO "Old Wives" (Old Biscuit) tales!..:R

Find the best deal you can via internet shopping.
Follow-up with a phone call for verification of price.

That's now your "benchmark" price.
Check with your local dealers, always comparing exactly the same model/s & options - will they match it? - Come close?
If not - you decide whether it's worthwhile to "travel".

I did that - traveled about 1500 miles, and would do it again!..:C
Even "camped" on the dealer's lot for two days in the new trlr, LOL.

Never needed any warranty service - nor was I worried about that. (Hey, it's a Jayco!)

IMO - getting warranty work from a dealer that didn't sell you the rig is no different than needing warranty service when you're on a trip across the country.

BTW - Often warranty work is a "cash cow" for lots of dealers!
*If* you find a "vindictive" dealer - you did yourself a favor!
Wouldn't want his kind of "service" for purchase *OR* repairs!.:S

Problems getting service? - call the factory (mfgr)!
Besides assistance with warranty service - they (also) *can* authorize an independent service facility to complete warranty work if necessary.

Advice? -
Do your homework and keep the bucks in your pocket - instead of the dealer's!
Plenty of (honest) dealers out there that want your business - and can still turn a profit..:)

~

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rbcurtis wrote:
Thanks everyone. I didn't think about different profit margins, and you're correct that they both have tons of Cougars and Montanas on their lots, but not the Jayco's with bunks, which is what we're looking for. We planned on custom ordering one with the exact options we want anyway, so I don't know why they think we have to take one off their lot in order to get the sale. Its not like we don't currently have a trailer to use until the new one comes in. Someone suggested we shop some out of state dealers if we're planning to order a new one anyway. Anyone had experience buying out of state but then getting service done at a local dealer?

Yes some great deals have been made using out of state dealers.
BUT problems have occurred when trying to get warranty & regular service done locally.
Local dealers can be 'vindictive' by putting your rig to back of line for repairs, delaying ordering parts, letting repairs slip thru the cracks etc.
NOT right BUT hard to prove and do anything about it.

Finding a 'good' competent service department can be more important then saving a few bucks on deal.

Just something to consider.

Then again, I have a real problem with sales pushing me towards a different product when they handle the product I am interested in.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Profit driven recommendation
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the previous comments. Dealer's floor plan on Keystone products are probably running out and he needs to move them. If you like one it might be worth a low ball. He could be willing to sell you one at his cost just to move a unit.
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

beckid
Explorer
Explorer
When we were shopping the dealers also kept pushing keystone. Apparently Keystone was promoting an incentive for the dealer as well as the buyer. I would guess that has everything to do with the push by your dealers for you to buy Keystone .
Me '54
Him '58
Rain the Awesome Aussie
Maggie the wonderdog over the RB 4/16
2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N