cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco, what does the dealer know that I don't know?

rbcurtis
Explorer
Explorer
Both Jayco dealers here in the Salt Lake City area have tried talking us out of a Jayco, and to go with a Montana or Cougar instead. I'm just wondering why. Our first trailer was a brand new 2003 Jayco bumper pull and we loved it. I really wish we had kept it, but wanted to try the toy hauler route. We now want to go to a fifth wheel with slides. We liked our Jayco so much, maybe because it was our first, I don't know, but we really have our hearts set on going back to a Jayco. We are open to other brands, but cannot find another that has the large capacity fresh water tank or floor plan we like as much as the Jayco's, but even the Jayco dealer talks them down and keeps pushing the Keystone trailers. I'm sure Keystone is also a good brand, but why do we need a 90 gallon black tank when our fresh water tank is only 64 gallons? Is there something the dealers know that we don't as far as Jayco fifth wheels or slides?
Randy

2007 Chevrolet Suburban
2008 Stellar Lightening L24 LFS
25 REPLIES 25

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Also,our Jayco had a 2 yr warranty and all issues were dealt with without any problems.Its an inventory thing.

rbcurtis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I didn't think about different profit margins, and you're correct that they both have tons of Cougars and Montanas on their lots, but not the Jayco's with bunks, which is what we're looking for. We planned on custom ordering one with the exact options we want anyway, so I don't know why they think we have to take one off their lot in order to get the sale. Its not like we don't currently have a trailer to use until the new one comes in. Someone suggested we shop some out of state dealers if we're planning to order a new one anyway. Anyone had experience buying out of state but then getting service done at a local dealer?
Randy

2007 Chevrolet Suburban
2008 Stellar Lightening L24 LFS

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you should call Jayco and ask them. They might be interested in checking into that question themselves. I wouldn't hesitate to get the Jayco if that meets your needs.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the above .... they must have units they haven't been able to move and are trying to unload them

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
This dealer is over stocked with Montanas or Cougars on his lot that he is trying to move.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

lat471
Explorer
Explorer
Do they have to order the Jayco while there's Montana's sitting on the lot?
07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer is just trying to be helpfull in pointing you in the right direction.
(Towards increasing his bank account!)
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Locky
Explorer
Explorer
Its definitely profit margins.

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dealers work for dealers, not customers. No doubt they would make more money off the Keystone. Why else would they care?
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Paul - it all comes down to profit margin.
I currently have a Keystone, after having had a Jayco. We had less issues with the Jayco but they both seem about equally sturdy. We miss our huge FW tank.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Never owned a jayco. Have owned Cougar. Was ok but certainly not superior to jayco in my comparisons. I would guess dealer margins are higher on the keystones.