cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keystone Montana

dstephens
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to receive input as to the Pro's and Con's of the Keystone Montana 5th Wheel trailers. I have noticed that there are a large number of used Montana 5th wheels for sale at the Dealers. Is there a reason? Are they built well or do they not hold up well?

Thanks
Dale
2013 Silverado 2500HD
Ext. Cab/short bed
2005 Jayco 31RLS DESIGNER Fifth wheel
67 REPLIES 67

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
ours wrote:
Check out how they are constructed from the bottom up. I did this and researched for about 2 months and ended up purchasing a Cedar Creek Silverback. I was happier with the core construction of this brand and how everything is put together. Just sharing my research.

My friend just sold his 29 RKB Cedar Creek Silverback. 2007 model. Constant problems with tires blowing on it. Had the rear axles aligned, spent $3000 to have the problem "fixed" and it still ate tires. He sold it and replaced it with a Cougar 31RES. Hopefully he has less tire problems with the Cougar.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Rancher Will wrote:
Mile High, I referred to Glenwood Springs. Be careful driving off Grand Avenue (the Main Street-Highway south off I-70) onto a side street with a long rig.
Ah thanks Rancher Will. I make sure I'm full of fuel and try to never have to leave the highway until I get to Grand Junction unless I have to. All those little towns off of I-70 through the Rockies have gone "Euro" with those stupid round-a-bouts. Not one, but two or three before you even get to a fuel station 🙂
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
dstephens wrote:
I would like to receive input as to the Pro's and Con's of the Keystone Montana 5th Wheel trailers. I have noticed that there are a large number of used Montana 5th wheels for sale at the Dealers. Is there a reason? Are they built well or do they not hold up well?

Thanks
Dale

Getting back to the OP's original question:

"I have noticed that there are a large number of used Montana 5th wheels for sale at the Dealers".

ANSWER: Over the years there has been thousands and thousands of them produced and sold.

"Are they built well or do they not hold up well?"

ANSWER: Everyone has an opinion on this. Like richfaa and some others have said, they are probably no better or worse than equally priced 5th wheels.

I have only owned two 5th wheels. I have never been a part time camper. When we purchased our first one we moved into it within a month and have been full time traveling every since. Needless to say our units are used 100% of the time in all weather conditions and pulled between 6,000 and 10,000 miles a year.

You can not make an informed decision by listening to every recommendation on this, or any other forum. I would not expect you to blindly take my advise, just as I would not expect you to take the advise of someone who had once owned a Montana.

When we traded our 2008 Montana in we looked at 4 or 5 other major make/model of fivers within a price range of $60,000 to $125,000.

Montana has made improvements/upgrades recently that played into my decision:
12" Frames (instead of the old 10")
Mor/Ryde 4000 Suspension System (4" of travel)
7,000 pounds axles (brass wet bolts)
Welded aluminum framed walls, floors, roof, and slides.
R38 insulated roof.

The only thing I felt was required before I took delivery was G rated tires. The dealer installed them prior to us picking the unit up.

I would just say to do your research, find a floor plan you like, and go for it. I may see you down the road in a few years and I could be in a different brand fiver.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Rancher_Will
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High, I referred to Glenwood Springs. Be careful driving off Grand Avenue (the Main Street-Highway south off I-70) onto a side street with a long rig.

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
G614 are OEM on the Montana Big Sky and a option on other models.IS suspension is being talked about as a option. we also have the Mor Ryde IS suspension on this Big Sky and had it on our 06 3400.I also agree that the OEM suspension is not adequate on the heavier Montanas particularly if you are a heavy user as we are. The Montana is still a good unit in the price range and the build quality is as good as any other in the price range. The build quality IMO poor in any brand any price range
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
Negative responses are not well received as you have seen in these responses as everyone wants to hold the value of their RV as high as possible for resale. I had a 2010 Montana 38SSA and it was enjoyable. However these units are "TOO " heavy for the suspension and tires they ride on . I bent one set of axles in 15,000 miles and the 2nd set going through Kentucky to Mor/yde for and upgrade of IS suspension and Disc Brakes. These are two absolutely necessary features . They also absolutely need G614 Good year tires. Keystone is too arrogant to even offer as options when asked if available should I decide to upgrade to a Big Sky. Their response was buy it and take it to Mor/yde and change it yourself.
I went to the RV show in Tampa and the new Montana's are even heavier because of the automatic leveling system and they are still setting it on 6700 lb. axles. Wet bolt kits are a nice upgrade but the bushings are too small and thin. You need IS suspension. Been there Done that Good Luck on your decision.

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
five leaking tanks in our 06 3400 along with many other problems. Two failed tanks in this 13 big sky along with other problems. Build quality has not IMO improved at all. It is IMO not any better in any other brand. I say it here I say it on the Montana Owners club. Fact is fact.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
Our '05 Montana is sitting in the driveway. It has between 35-40K miles on it now. It will need some attention before next season,like brakes and a few other minor things of the normal maintenance type. Our only mistake was buying a rear entrance unit. Live and learn.
That 2955RL was one of the most popular floor plans Montana had back then! I didn't like the rear entry either, however it was the shortest rig they made and we were able to tow a boat behind it. I actually went out looking for a new one two years ago so I could start towing the boat again, and was disappointed to find they discontinued it. The big thing we didn't like was the couch bed opened and blocked access to the entry door.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Our '05 Montana is sitting in the driveway. It has between 35-40K miles on it now. It will need some attention before next season,like brakes and a few other minor things of the normal maintenance type. Our only mistake was buying a rear entrance unit. Live and learn.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Rancher Will wrote:
We are happy with our 2010 Montana 3750FL. It is the 5th RV that we have owned in over 50 years.

Actually we were happy with all of our previous RV's also with proper maintenance we never had any real problems with any. As with all of our RV's we selected each one based on its floor plan, the way we intended to use it and quality with price.

We are based in Colorado and travel for both business and pleasure every month of the year, usually on the road or camped 5 to 10 days each month. The only repair that we have had with our Monty was a problem with the Propane value not properly switching tanks. The faulty valve was quickly solved (switched) by the the dealer and was not a fault of Keystone.

When I bought our Montana I joined the Montana Owners Internet Club, since I have been a member of each owners club with our other RV's. That was a mistake. Within about the second month I posted a comment warning the club site readers about a problem involving large RV's in one mountain town in Colorado, where we live. I even quoted the Chief of Police, who is a friend on mine, about the potential problem for large RV's in certain parts of the town, for the purpose of helping others to not have the problem.

I should not have posted the warning. I was "called out" on the Web Site, actually called a liar by two members, and accused of unfairly criticizing RVers. I have never posted, or even logged on to the Montana Owners Club since that time. I am happy with any discussion will not participate in any group that does not have common courtesy.

Perhaps my experience was not normal with that group. But be warned.
The MOC can be that way - they sent me packing a long time ago. What is the issue with the RV and what town? Just curious as we spend most of our time in Colorado.

Rancher_Will
Explorer
Explorer
We are happy with our 2010 Montana 3750FL. It is the 5th RV that we have owned in over 50 years.

Actually we were happy with all of our previous RV's also with proper maintenance we never had any real problems with any. As with all of our RV's we selected each one based on its floor plan, the way we intended to use it and quality with price.

We are based in Colorado and travel for both business and pleasure every month of the year, usually on the road or camped 5 to 10 days each month. The only repair that we have had with our Monty was a problem with the Propane value not properly switching tanks. The faulty valve was quickly solved (switched) by the the dealer and was not a fault of Keystone.

When I bought our Montana I joined the Montana Owners Internet Club, since I have been a member of each owners club with our other RV's. That was a mistake. Within about the second month I posted a comment warning the club site readers about a problem involving large RV's in one mountain town in Colorado, where we live. I even quoted the Chief of Police, who is a friend on mine, about the potential problem for large RV's in certain parts of the town, for the purpose of helping others to not have the problem.

I should not have posted the warning. I was "called out" on the Web Site, actually called a liar by two members, and accused of unfairly criticizing RVers. I have never posted, or even logged on to the Montana Owners Club since that time. I am happy with any discussion will not participate in any group that does not have common courtesy.

Perhaps my experience was not normal with that group. But be warned.

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
up2nogood wrote:
rmalik1 wrote:
otrfun wrote:
rmalik1 wrote:
One of the things I don't like about Montana's is they use OSB not marine grade plywood.
Got the impression Montana's were mostly aluminum construction? Where do they use the OSB? Floor, sides, and/or roof?

Floor
The exact place u want the better product!

Please explain what goes wrong with OSB flooring, have read this before, and having had two Montana fifth wheels, I'm sorry , but OSB is my last concern. After 9years between the two there were never any floor problems if that is what you are alluding to.

U may never have a a problem with your OSB, But if your paying 10's of thousands of dollars, I want the better product, which is widely available and is widely known in construction to be the better flooring option. For me that is the biggest reason I don't look at heartland and keystone or for that matter any other mid-level trailer built w/ that product.
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
Well there you have it, I probably would never purchase another Montana again either after reading everything MileHigh and rehless had to say. Just wish the other 6,000 or so Montana owners would have spoken up before I purchased one of the top telling FW's for the second time. Darn it!

Kind of a touchy fella there, aren't you :). I really said a lot didn't I - I mentioned I was disappointed in my flooring after someone brought up OSB - that was a ton of bashing wasn't it? If you knew me on here at all, you would know I am a big Montana supporter and may last one was near trouble free and I talk that away about it all the time, but the flooring SUCKED!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
JackDN0610 wrote:
After having owned a 2004 Montana 3450RL for 10 years and having nothing but problems with it, starting with a leak in the bedroom slide; the decals fading and peeling; toilet having to be replaced three times; front electric jack motor being replaced twice; screws securing the sub-flooring in the kitchen working loose and puncturing the linoleum I thought that that was enough. I know that there are going to be problems with any RV, but I bit the bullet and got rid of it. I couldn't be any happier. I now am the happy owner of a 2014 Cardinal. I would never own another Montana and would never recommend that any of my friends purchase one.

10 years, Huh !!!! Took that long to get cured :h

Just the opposite on my Montana.I would recommend it to anyone, and my friends. Have two that have purchased them ,and couldn't be happier. Good luck with the Cardinal, hopefully you won't be bashing it in 10 years.