cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone Montana

dstephens
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to receive input as to the Pro's and Con's of the Keystone Montana 5th Wheel trailers. I have noticed that there are a large number of used Montana 5th wheels for sale at the Dealers. Is there a reason? Are they built well or do they not hold up well?

Thanks
Dale
2013 Silverado 2500HD
Ext. Cab/short bed
2005 Jayco 31RLS DESIGNER Fifth wheel
67 REPLIES 67

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thread closed for repair
Thread re opened... No more mud wrestling please... Place stay on topic...

JohnnyT Moderator
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, the OP was after your opinions of Montanas, not of each other.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
rehless wrote:
Bought a new 2012 in 2012, Montana Mountaineer. Not happy. Wood trim immediately broke of one slide out, both sides. Door on converter broke. As cheaply made as others.

Mountaineer not even in the same league as Montana - so not a fair comparison. Mountaineer is the econo line.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
dstephens wrote:
As we all know, among any product, there are those that have a good experience and those that have a not so good experience.

Very well stated Dale. The Montana line is no different. There are actually 4 different models of Montana's. Montana High Country, Montana Mountaineer, Montana, and the Montana Big Sky. Within each model there are several different floor plans. The first two Montana's mentioned are the lighter weight Montana models and the later two are more the luxury models with the Big Sky being the top of the line Montana. To group all of these 5th wheels together is really not fair. You have to look at which model people are having more problems with then make your own decision whether you want one or not. I personally am very happy with my rig and will definitely consider a Montana when ready to buy again. Tim
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

dstephens
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank everyone who replied to my original post. There was some good feedback and comments along with the "not so good" feed back. After reading all the replies, I believe the Montana is a fairly good mid level unit. As we all know, among any product, there are those that have a good experience and those that have a not so good experience.

Thanks again for all the input. Lets call this one closed.
Dale
2013 Silverado 2500HD
Ext. Cab/short bed
2005 Jayco 31RLS DESIGNER Fifth wheel

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new 2012 in 2012, Montana Mountaineer. Not happy. Wood trim immediately broke of one slide out, both sides. Door on converter broke. As cheaply made as others.

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Go look one over CLOSELY they offer a lot for the money but IMHO they are very cheaply built. My parents friends love theirs as do other friends of ours but I know several that hate theirs. So it's a mixed bag.

I am a very picky person, finish carpenter/perfectionist. So i may be more critical than most. We really looked a 3400 over years ago but I could not get past the poor quality.

All JMHO.

Frau Blรผcher and I almost bought the front living room model when it first came out but as a finish carpenter/cabinet maker I couldn't get past the poor fit and finish both inside and out I saw in the display model or almost all other Montana's since. In the end since all the components used to build a fiver are mostly the same quality the structure and finish are basically what separates the good, the bad and the poorly made which equates to how many years of service you will get from a substantial investment, I agree that they are cheaply built for the mass marketing there targeted for and as the saying goes "you get what you pay for" we went Cedar Creek and haven't looked back!

Red Green:
There's only two things that excite
a man, expensive toys and real
expensive toys.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Markrving
Explorer
Explorer
Well....I did enjoy reading the posts!
I have had two new Montanas ...first all over Alaskan terrible roads entering Alaska at Dawson City on ferry to the top of the world highway. Believe me this is a test....not a cabinet door came open.....love this unit. Next unit new in 2010.....been all over the US ...wonderful model 3150.
I will say first thing change to LT tires or buy with. Chinese ST tires are bombs.
Highly recommend and happy travels????
2010 Montana 3150. Chevrolet 2006 Duramax 2500 long bed 4x4 Michelin. B & W Companion. Goodyear Marathon Chinese Bombs gone, New B.F. Goodrich Commercial LT. Mark Allen

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
hmar1 wrote:
We have a 2014 Montana and everything is quality, compared to most Rv's I have no complaints. Montana's only draw back is the tire's

Like most others, Montana standard tires are E rated ST tires. But Montana offers Goodyear G rated tires now as an option.

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
The Montana is no better no worse that any other brand in the price range. The build quality like the build quality across the RV industry is not number one.

we are on our second Montana but not without problems. If you look at different forums reporting trouble with their 5th wheels you will see the same issues on all of them. We have seen bad decals on all brands of 5th wheels. there have been over 65K Montana's built since 1999 so there are a lot of them out there. We use our Montana hard and although I am quick to report all problems large and small the Montana has served us well.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to do a search on here for Montana. Do a search for any brand you might consider.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
We were very happy with our 2008 Montana 3400RL and now we are very happy with our 2012 Montana 3585SA. Floorplan and auto leveling were our only reasons for trading when we did.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

IN my travels , I can count on 1 hand how many happy Montana owners I met. But many unhappy... Last year my neighbor in the keys had brand new decals on,, like most other Keystone's I have seen the decals all went bad , it was 6 months out of warranty and he had to pay for the stickers and installation out of pocket...

Drive around for a while looking at campers ,I bet most of the ones you see that have ghosting of the decals carry the name Keystone... Just my opinion is all...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

hmar1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Montana and everything is quality, compared to most Rv's I have no complaints. Montana's only draw back is the tire's

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
How long has it been since you looked at the "Very Cheaply Built" Montana's? I can't speak for units that were built in the beginning but the newer ones are NOT cheaply built. My 2010 model is very well constructed. All cabinetry is real hard wood that is very well constructed and assembled unlike the other brands that use the laminated 'wood' with the faux wood grain paper veneer. Corian counter tops with residential fixtures, quality residential flooring etc. All for an affordable price. I have been in the higher priced 5er's and personally saw nothing that would convince me to purchase one of then over what I have. I didn't see any difference in the quality of workmanship. Sure there may have been more "Bling" in the higher priced units but I don't need a dish washer, hand sanitizer in the comfort station, power retracting shore cord etc. This is the first Montana or Keystone product that I have ever owned so definitely NOT brand specific but I would definitely buy another Montana because of the quality and bang for the buck. All JMHO.....Tim
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner