cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone Montana

dstephens
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to receive input as to the Pro's and Con's of the Keystone Montana 5th Wheel trailers. I have noticed that there are a large number of used Montana 5th wheels for sale at the Dealers. Is there a reason? Are they built well or do they not hold up well?

Thanks
Dale
2013 Silverado 2500HD
Ext. Cab/short bed
2005 Jayco 31RLS DESIGNER Fifth wheel
67 REPLIES 67

JackDN0610
Explorer
Explorer
After having owned a 2004 Montana 3450RL for 10 years and having nothing but problems with it, starting with a leak in the bedroom slide; the decals fading and peeling; toilet having to be replaced three times; front electric jack motor being replaced twice; screws securing the sub-flooring in the kitchen working loose and puncturing the linoleum I thought that that was enough. I know that there are going to be problems with any RV, but I bit the bullet and got rid of it. I couldn't be any happier. I now am the happy owner of a 2014 Cardinal. I would never own another Montana and would never recommend that any of my friends purchase one.
Jack and Jo
2014 Cardinal 3450RL 4 Slides
2011 Ford F350 SD DRW

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Well there you have it, I probably would never purchase another Montana again either after reading everything MileHigh and rehless had to say. Just wish the other 6,000 or so Montana owners would have spoken up before I purchased one of the top telling FW's for the second time. Darn it!
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 Mountaineer, purchased new. Twenty nine feet, three slides. Heavy.
Had a Dutchmen 30' with one slide 1999.Always thought Dutchmen was poor quality, till we got the Montana. Door on the converter broke, wood trim on the slide broke off. Suspension is non existent. Would not buy again.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
C-Bears wrote:
Mile High wrote:
C-Bears wrote:
Mile High wrote:
yes the floor. The slide floors were kind of disappointing in our Montana. They were mush around the dining table

There are a lot of residences that have 3/4" OSB used in the sub-floor and/or sheeting on the roof. In any construction method I don't see the benefit of using a heavy marine grade plywood product instead of regular plywood or OSB, unless the material could be exposed to the elements.

If floors around a dining room table were "mush" then that area was no doubt water damaged. The only way that water damage can happen in most fivers is either the slide wall/roof is leaking or someone left windows open several times and kept getting their floors soaked.

NO-NO-NO don't jump to conclusions and don't treat me like an idiot from your keyboard.

They were mush form the factory, and it was an active topic on the MOC. It was bad enough that when walking to the outside edge to get to a chair, the floor would buckle and the screws holding the table pedestal down to the floor on some units would pop out.

This was 2007. I don't know what they use now or if the problem was corrected. We didn't have that issue on our 2003 Montana, nor do we on our SOB now. At the time, the general consensus from the MOC was the Keystone change to OSB when other brands maintained plywood. Too thin maybe - I don't know. I just remember the issue and it was embarrassing.

Calm down there MileHigh....I didn't say you were an idiot, I don't know you that well. My point was a new buyer should not base his opinion on one Manufacture claiming to use marine plywood and then a poster who claims to have owned a Montana at one time claims they only use OSB.

Chances are if there was an issue with "soft" floors in the slides seven years ago with some of their models they probably corrected it.

I am sure you are happy with your current purchase and I know I am happy with mine. As I said in my earlier post, not sure any make/model in the same price range is better than any other one.

We are full time and travel between 6,000 and 10,000 miles a year in our Montana fivers. We have experienced all type of weather conditions with no major issues. Does that prove to anyone that they should purchase a Montana FW, no absolutely not. It just means that we have had good luck with the ones we have had.
No - your point was you were trying to impose your own assumptions I had water issues rather than just accepting my background in the issue that is a factory change that resulted in an issue experienced by many.

Could it quite possibly be just a 2007 issue, appears to be. Richfaa had no problems on his 2006, no problems on my 2008. Might not hurt here instead of getting all defensive you might consider that OSB is a non issue on many or most years of Montana fifth wheels, and that shouldn't be a reason not to purchase. The biggest issue I can report on my Montana fifth wheels is the decal problem.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
Mile High wrote:
C-Bears wrote:
Mile High wrote:
yes the floor. The slide floors were kind of disappointing in our Montana. They were mush around the dining table

There are a lot of residences that have 3/4" OSB used in the sub-floor and/or sheeting on the roof. In any construction method I don't see the benefit of using a heavy marine grade plywood product instead of regular plywood or OSB, unless the material could be exposed to the elements.

If floors around a dining room table were "mush" then that area was no doubt water damaged. The only way that water damage can happen in most fivers is either the slide wall/roof is leaking or someone left windows open several times and kept getting their floors soaked.

NO-NO-NO don't jump to conclusions and don't treat me like an idiot from your keyboard.

They were mush form the factory, and it was an active topic on the MOC. It was bad enough that when walking to the outside edge to get to a chair, the floor would buckle and the screws holding the table pedestal down to the floor on some units would pop out.

This was 2007. I don't know what they use now or if the problem was corrected. We didn't have that issue on our 2003 Montana, nor do we on our SOB now. At the time, the general consensus from the MOC was the Keystone change to OSB when other brands maintained plywood. Too thin maybe - I don't know. I just remember the issue and it was embarrassing.

Calm down there MileHigh....I didn't say you were an idiot, I don't know you that well. My point was a new buyer should not base his opinion on one Manufacture claiming to use marine plywood and then a poster who claims to have owned a Montana at one time claims they only use OSB.

Chances are if there was an issue with "soft" floors in the slides seven years ago with some of their models they probably corrected it.

I am sure you are happy with your current purchase and I know I am happy with mine. As I said in my earlier post, not sure any make/model in the same price range is better than any other one.

We are full time and travel between 6,000 and 10,000 miles a year in our Montana fivers. We have experienced all type of weather conditions with no major issues. Does that prove to anyone that they should purchase a Montana FW, no absolutely not. It just means that we have had good luck with the ones we have had.
No - your point was you were trying to impose your own assumptions I had water issues rather than just accepting my background in the issue that is a factory change that resulted in an issue experienced by many.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
I remember the mushy floor report in the Montana's. We had a 06 3400 and did not have the problem. We did however have many other problems. large and small.I would not have expected better in any other comparable brand.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
C-Bears wrote:
Mile High wrote:

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
C-Bears wrote:
Mile High wrote:

Been thru this a million times with the difference between OSB and marine grade plywood.

Marine as in water + marine grade plywood may swell and likely regain it's shape. osb + water = swelling an no chance of regaining it's shape. They use marine grade plywood in boat applications! OSB is fine in roofing but shouldn't be used in flooring.
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco.. Montana..No difference....same issues..same poor build quality.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

dstephens
Explorer
Explorer
I have read enough about Montana 5th wheels. They are probably as good as the Jayco that I now have, but not up to the quality I want in my next 5'er.
Thanks for all the input.
denverdale
2013 Silverado 2500HD
Ext. Cab/short bed
2005 Jayco 31RLS DESIGNER Fifth wheel

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
Mile High wrote:

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
abc40kids wrote:
Mile High wrote:
abc40kids wrote:
Mile High wrote:
rehless wrote:
Bought a new 2012 in 2012, Montana Mountaineer. Not happy. Wood trim immediately broke of one slide out, both sides. Door on converter broke. As cheaply made as others.

Mountaineer not even in the same league as Montana - so not a fair comparison. Mountaineer is the econo line.

Mountaineer not one of Keystones lightweight fifth wheels and is actually being merged into the Montana lineup so they now have a bunkhouse. No more Mountaineer....
Hmmm, I don't recall saying it was a lightweight, rather an economy version of the Montana. They are not light, they just don't have all the features. Looks like they still show a full line on the website, but Keystone has never been real prompt about keeping it updated.

Sorry, meant to quote the post above yours.....

No worries

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
abc40kids wrote:
Mile High wrote:
rehless wrote:
Bought a new 2012 in 2012, Montana Mountaineer. Not happy. Wood trim immediately broke of one slide out, both sides. Door on converter broke. As cheaply made as others.

Mountaineer not even in the same league as Montana - so not a fair comparison. Mountaineer is the econo line.

Mountaineer not one of Keystones lightweight fifth wheels and is actually being merged into the Montana lineup so they now have a bunkhouse. No more Mountaineer....
Hmmm, I don't recall saying it was a lightweight, rather an economy version of the Montana. They are not light, they just don't have all the features. Looks like they still show a full line on the website, but Keystone has never been real prompt about keeping it updated.

When it says "Dealer Stock Only" that means that model is discontinued. All Mountaineers are dealer stock only.

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
abc40kids wrote:
Mile High wrote:
rehless wrote:

Sorry, meant to quote the post above yours.....
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually