cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KZ Durango vs Keystone Laredo bunkhouses!!

sandhills
Explorer
Explorer
Need some opinions/reviews on these two fifth wheels please!! This will be our 1st fifth wheel purchase. The keystone price is just a little cheaper, but the KZ has an extra bathroom. All other items seem to compare evenly so I guess we are just asking about quality and if there is anything else we should be looking for.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

sandhills
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses! From reading them, it seems like we can't really do wrong with either manufacturer.

Jandsa
Explorer
Explorer
Orion,

Great that you are happy with your KZ. I did read somewhere that the KZ had less expensive construction items like more laminate and wood in the framing. However, it is nice to know from someone's experience that that isn't the case.

When looking for a 5ver a few years ago, we did look at a Palomino and now I remember that it was a Puma. I am not sure if it was a salesman who told us that the framing was wood, and therefore, heavier. He did not say "cheaper," as he was trying to make a sale. ๐Ÿ™‚

Years ago, before aluminum frames were common, we owned a Sprinter with a wood frame and we didn't have problems with it either. It seems that the salespeople are promoting aluminum frames and most of the 5vers and travel trailers made are aluminum frames. I am sure there is a debate somewhere about aluminum vs. wood frame.

Like a number of the posters here, we eventually chose a floor plan that we liked. However, the bathroom layout is not my favorite, but it will do. There is no perfect unit unless you have the money to lay out for a custom built on like in "Extreme RVs." And this is a topic for another post. :B
From the Adirondacks
Him-USAF, Ret. & Her-Landscape Photographer
Cougar by Keystone 5th Wheel
Silverado 2500 Diesel

Explorer II
Explorer II
It should be noted that Keystone has a one year warranty whereas KZ is two years. My Durango still has 2 months left on the warranty. If I went with the Keystone the warranty would have expired 10 months ago.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a wood frame KZ for 8 years and never had a single problem with it.

From there we upgraded to a Keystone Outback. Very nice camper and we were pleased with it but it was stolen at 14 months old. It had a few water leaks but fortunately I caught them early.

For a replacement we compared the Keystone Cougar FW to the KZ FW we have now. We went with the KZ because we preferred the floor plan. Almost 2 years into it and the only repairs to date was a slide adjustment and slide seal recaulked.

We would have gone with either in regards to construction, materials, quality etc. They were very comparable. For us the floor plan was the deciding factor.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
big fan of our KZ......not sure what cheap materials jandsa is talking about but if you look at how KZ's are built you'll find that simply isn't the case. The fit and finish on ours is excellent. I would buy another KZ in a heart beat and will look at those before anything else if/when we need a new one.

sclark
Explorer
Explorer
sorry, double post
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Cummins Aisin transmission
2014 KZ 358BHK
Honda eu3000is Generator

sclark
Explorer
Explorer
Check them both out and go with the one that suits you best. We have the KZ 358Bhk and are happy with it. Have not had a Keystone product yet but would not hesitate to buy one if we liked it. Best of luck with your choice.
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Cummins Aisin transmission
2014 KZ 358BHK
Honda eu3000is Generator

Jandsa
Explorer
Explorer
Point taken, wing_zealot...lemons in every lot.

It seems the KZ owners who posted are satisfied with their purchase and glad for them.

I do stand behind my premise of looking at construction materials and those that have been constructed with a wood frame in there somewhere, I would stay away from buying. There is one such model that was made a couple of years ago, but I didn't pay attention to the name.

Happy Camping!
From the Adirondacks
Silverado 2500 Diesel

We have had our KZ for about 6 years now and also love it... The fit and finish is wonderful , any small problems that may have cropped up were addressed properly as soon as they happened...
I personally have never heard any REAL BAD complaints about the company like stated a few posts above me... Most folks , if not all folks that I have spoken to agree..
Now with that said,,, EVERY manufacturer puts out a lemon or 2 in their history and its how they deal with those that separates them.. either good or bad.. I would buy another in a heart beat !!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Oh c'mon Jandsa - you do a google search on Keystone and you get the same type of thing. Do you really got to go there?

Keystone Problems

More

More of the same

Have I made my point yet?

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
We have our KZ Durango for almost 6 years and love it! Had a few problems that I didn't notice but the dealer did and replaced it. We would by another KZ in a heart beat. They were great in warrenty issues. I know different people own it ( Thor) and I hope the run it as it was before. I think quality was fine and I have out about 50k miles on it! I wouldn't be afraid of buying another one.
Good luck

Bruce

Jandsa
Explorer
Explorer
I do know that KZ is not a top-of-the line unit and various sources noted to stay away from the KZ, due to cheaper construction materials. We have had a Keystone travel trailer and were very satisfied with it, but needed something bigger for longer vacations. We now have a Keystone Sprinter, not a top-of-the line unit, but we are satisfied with it. Time will tell how this 5ver will hold out.
Good luck!

Here is some websites to consider: http://mythreecents.com/reviews/kz-rv

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24889446.cfm

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/KZ-RV-LP/Shipshewana-Indiana-46565/KZ-RV-LP-Water-Water-EVERYWHERE-Shi...
From the Adirondacks
Silverado 2500 Diesel