cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Landing Gear extension

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed that a lot of people put large blocks/wood down to support the front landing gear. Thus the landing gear does not have to extend a long distance. Question....Is there a definite advantage to doing this? For example, instead of the landing gear dropping to the ground(or onto a small board) is there an advantage to building up the area on the ground? THANKS....
13 REPLIES 13

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 2x6 block under each front leg to keep them from sinking into soft gravel, dirt or asphalt and to provide a more even platform in really uneven ground. It's just become habit, so I pretty much use them even when there's a concrete slab as well. But I've never used more than that to shorten the length of the the legs... besides, I like long legs ๐Ÿ™‚
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I don't like to use blocks under the landing gear. It's just something that the fiver could fall off of, and sitting up on blocks is not going result in less jiggle in the coach. I will use 2x thick blocks if on a soft pad to prevent sinking.

Blocks don't reduce motor cranking. Level sites reduce motor cranking.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
A small piece of 2x6 to spread the load but we don't play jenga like we've seen some do.

If you don't want to run them down with the motor the pins allow you to adjust pretty easily.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
This is all good information and something I have been curious about. I use a 6x6 under the front and rear jacks on my 5er. I wondered if it 'could' cause instability.

Steve
'07 39' Pilgrim Open Road 5th Wheel
'18 F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never like to set my landing gear on any blocking if I don't have to. My only problem with the blocks under the landing gear is, what if you knock it off while hitching? If you slip off a 6" surface (it could happen, I use Roto Chocks, and plastic wedge too) while hooking up, you are probably going to hit your truck bed with the fifth wheel.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use 8" Square pads made by gluing up two pieces of 3/4" plywood and trimming to the 8" size. It is another personal preference, I just like the feet near the ground, blocks can be tipped off of.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I beg to differ on the stability issue. I have Windfield stabs on the front legs.

I would much rather stabilize the front than set it up on cribbing. I will never understand cribbing.

I do however have 2X6 pads if the ground is soft.

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I always put the landing gear foot onto a 6x6. The reason is to one increase the footprint, two so the landing legs do not have to extend as far, and three and to me most important in the event (and it has happened) the landing legs foot pads etc sink into the ground it gives me alittle more room to raise the camper to hook up to the truck.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I was at a CG in Tennessee where the owner required a wood or plastic plank under the front jacks. The reason is that during the hot summer months the jacks on heavier rvs would make a indentation in the asphalt.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
I def notice a stability diff with totally ext vs short ext.For that reason I build it up with 4x4 blocks.Personal pref.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use pads that I made to keep the jacks on my DP from sinking into the ground. The jacks only have to sink a 1/2" to get things out of level. I made them from a sheet of 3/4" pressure treated plywood. They are 16" square, four layers on the front pads and five layers on the rear pads. The number of layers is for strength, not height on mine.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
I only use a 'pad' under the landing gear foot.

But I do extend motor driven tube as much as possible before dropping inner pinned tube.....seems to e more stable. Lots of movement between inner/outer tubes.

On occasion I will use the 6X6 blocks under front landing gear if site slopes and have to raise front higher than 'normal'. The 6X6 blocks are normally used under rear stabilizers so that they have a wider stance. Again more stable.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
Other than not needing to use the motor drive as much to raise the front, not really a benefit. Depending on the cribbing and how high, it may be less stable.

If the landing gear foot pads are on soft ground or asphalt and the pads my sink, a larger board may help from sinking.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel