cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Likely to regret

ddm502001
Explorer
Explorer
Was a HDT Wrench for over two decades, worked around any and every imaginable machine over those years, changed career path to Power station spending another over two decades in a Nuclear Power Plant. Now retired, got the itch to travel where wife is coming closer to retirement, so I did some horse trading into a Project Truck.

Is HUGE just over 28' long, 2005 Kenworth W900L, has more than enough HP Caterpillar engine, Gearing and Brakes, eight bag air ride tandem. Weights 19800 by itself where intend to purchase a ~30' toy hauler fifth wheel as is only Wife and I to use, have no children.

I have overhauled engine, updated head and other attachments, repaired most all that had been left go to rot and repainted where I am now fitting full rear fenders I received also in trade essentially for free.

Fully understand parks can be tight to non maneuverable so am I going to regret this beast?
33 REPLIES 33

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
I've been pulling a 22k fifth wheel with a classic class 8 tractor for over twenty years. It's a fine match and does what I want it to. You might not fit everywhere a smaller setup would, but for me the trade offs are ok. Mostly camp off grid anyway.
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Darryl&Rita wrote:
This is probably the worst forum to ask a question like this. Head over to Escapees.com, get on hte HDT group, get the word straight from the ones doing it.

Actually probably better here.

The HDT group is biased to try and justify their choice.

Here you get a few folks who do tow with them.

But if the OP thinks towing a 30ft 5er is wildly dangerous with a 3/4 - 1 ton pickup, he really does need a full class 8 semi tractor.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
This is probably the worst forum to ask a question like this. Head over to Escapees.com, get on hte HDT group, get the word straight from the ones doing it.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
OMG! Were do you think that you are going with that thing? No doubt that you have done a great job with it but you will be severely restricted on CGs that can be accessed, never mind using it for local sightseeing & shopping.

People grumble enough about a 3500 dually being inconvenient, I have no problem with one, but you are in a whole nuther world with your current beast.

If SPs, BLMs & NPs are in your future travel plans, IMO they are the best experiences, do some research for a truck & 5er combo that is comfortable & doable.

I can understand the reluctance to sell something that you have put so much effort into but you have a 500lb bomb to do the job that a hand held grenade will do.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ddm502001
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
ddm502001 wrote:
wapiticountry wrote:
Going to be a heck of an inconvenient daily driver when you get to wherever you are going.

That is purpose of Toy hauler 30 footer, we ride and used to ride out to places on our Harley, packed light lived in Hotel rooms, this makes convenience in getting there, safety in size and equipment where have a SD F250 7.3 dsl, bought new in '99, 340,000miles and had pulled a general 5ver for a few years, wind prone, hard on the lighter trucks, hard on brakes. Been witness to too many flip overs, caught a edge and went offroad to crash incidents, worked Vol Fire for a number of years and can unabashedly state, today's pickups can pull a RV fine, however they are prone to bad circumstances doing so.

Have had a Class A for over three decades, truck size is not a bother but a boon for myself. Dragging a 5ver behind it will be as running empty where can back off throttle possible push over 8mpg. My 7.3 on a good day towing 12000# gets 10 but runs out of power to maintain momentum.

But what do you do when it's raining? I get taking the toys and using the motorcycles when it's nice but there are better options.

Not as convenient as a pickup but if you cut it down to a single rear axle and day cab as suggested, much more reasonable and still overkill for a 30ft 5er.

If you are paranoid about stability (and a 1999 3/4 ton pulling a 30ft 5er shouldn't be a concern unless there is more to the story), you can always go dually.

Keep in mind, in the 25yrs since you bought the 1999, pickups have gotten a lot more capable. From the factory, your 1999 had a whopping 235hp and 500ft-lb of torque. The 2022 is 475hp and 1050ft-lb. I suspect the towing experience would be a little different.

Been a Motorcycle rider for close to fifty years, have ridden rain sun or snow makes little difference other than respect for that condition on the roads. My '99 been chipped, dragged a 24' goose with farm equipment much of its life, fully understand Wind Prone, single vs dual rears, added a leaf to both rears to F350 SRW capacity but still a single set up and will side sway with a tall trailer. Getting to a dually and yes is Less cumbersome yet only a Little. Wheel Base is roughly same as the Road Tractor(It is measured between the two drive axles at 192" vs 176" for a dually crew cab eight foot box. Over All Length is defined longer at 28' vs 21.5' and it is eight feet wide full length as opposed to just at the duals. Braking efficiency on Semi is far greater and easier to inspect, 4 16x7 Drum rears, 2 16x4 fronts with ABS, can run steady state 70mph on cruise and not have to downshift, by RPM is capable of over 75mph. Towing GVWR is three times that of a Ton Dually and I will not ever trust auto makers on stating their machines CAN tow 40,000#, is not very efficient nor safe to do so, this semi is rated 46,000 rear 14,000 steer GVWR, in towing is rated over 90,000#. Truck as configured is under 10' overall height, is set for 500hp with close to 1900lb/ft torque at 1850rpm. In essence I have Half financially in this machine with what have overhauled or repaired than a reasonably low miles Dually Crew, a five year old under 150,000 mile dually Crew here will still net $60,000, a new one is unbelievably priced over $95,000.
Tires are 100-150,000 mile capable Semi, brakes similar or up to 200,000, engine longevity since full out of frame with new radiator core, new head, bearings, pistons rings sleeves, reman injectors, new turbocharger, a CAT reviewed processor and all new heater cores as well all new coolant and oil flow hoses around 500-650,000miles where can expect if DO NOT Get horsey on the throttle, to achieve 8-9mpg as essentially running empty. Will not ever tax it in any form to hurt it.

ddm502001
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
I'll have to agree with everyone above. I've always coveted a Freightliner SportChassis (quite a bit smaller than your truck), but even it would be overkill for our 15K fiver. The F350 dually does the job just fine. You also don't say what state you live in and getting the truck to where you can register it as an RV (if your state allows it) is extra trouble.

Rob

Intent is Dual Status, Weight Tag license as once registered in MO as a RV is no longer able to be used as just a truck. Can pull a RV but not even a utility trailer with lumber or even hauling trash to scrapper on it. Fines are low but as of Second become points events.

I already have and have had a Class A CDL, no reason not to weight license where when out of state RV'ing still no need of DOT number or mandated Commercial Truck requirements, just label 'Personal Conveyance, NOT For Hire'. No different than a very large pickup truck in Personal Ownership.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
ddm502001 wrote:
worked Vol Fire for a number of years and can unabashedly state, today's pickups can pull a RV fine, however they are prone to bad circumstances doing so.

I think most of the bad circumstances you mention are related to folks and their driving abilities or lack of them more so than today's pickups.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
ddm502001 wrote:
wapiticountry wrote:
Going to be a heck of an inconvenient daily driver when you get to wherever you are going.

That is purpose of Toy hauler 30 footer, we ride and used to ride out to places on our Harley, packed light lived in Hotel rooms, this makes convenience in getting there, safety in size and equipment where have a SD F250 7.3 dsl, bought new in '99, 340,000miles and had pulled a general 5ver for a few years, wind prone, hard on the lighter trucks, hard on brakes. Been witness to too many flip overs, caught a edge and went offroad to crash incidents, worked Vol Fire for a number of years and can unabashedly state, today's pickups can pull a RV fine, however they are prone to bad circumstances doing so.

Have had a Class A for over three decades, truck size is not a bother but a boon for myself. Dragging a 5ver behind it will be as running empty where can back off throttle possible push over 8mpg. My 7.3 on a good day towing 12000# gets 10 but runs out of power to maintain momentum.

But what do you do when it's raining? I get taking the toys and using the motorcycles when it's nice but there are better options.

Not as convenient as a pickup but if you cut it down to a single rear axle and day cab as suggested, much more reasonable and still overkill for a 30ft 5er.

If you are paranoid about stability (and a 1999 3/4 ton pulling a 30ft 5er shouldn't be a concern unless there is more to the story), you can always go dually.

Keep in mind, in the 25yrs since you bought the 1999, pickups have gotten a lot more capable. From the factory, your 1999 had a whopping 235hp and 500ft-lb of torque. The 2022 is 475hp and 1050ft-lb. I suspect the towing experience would be a little different.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
The good news is that if you run the Ike, you’ll probably be passing cars on the way up!
RVing since 1995.

For a few years I had a 45ft DP and pulled a 30ft enclosed behind it all over the country. It to got a lot of looks but with 500hp never held anyone up going up hill and you won't either. Found places to park, got fuel. You go for it but I now have a 36ft DP and tow a Smart car on a dolly at almost 82 years old. Have fun on your run!

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Go ahead and use your truck, there are a lot of us out here with class 8 trucks, we camp in mostly commercial or state campgrounds and with proper planning have not had a issue
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

ddm502001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses, feel better of the choice to use it for awhile and see if can manage the use.

Late sixties currently where know days numbered as to keeping my CDL, where will be using the truck for other purposes as well the RV we choose. Figure no more than 3 years use will sell/trade it, will adapt to a Single Axle with AUTO and end up with a RV Plate on that yet will keep a Toy hauler likely end with a Harly Trike instead of conventional bike, all of which the wife will be able to handle and be licensed for.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
TXiceman wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Toy hauler? Many of these never go to an organized park. Rather they park in an open range area on BLM or similar land and pull out the toys and run the trails.

Not sure it would be much worse than a 45' class A pulling a second vehicle or trailer. I see plenty of these on the road.

Strange that we see many Toy Haulers in private, state and COE parks.

Ken
I have no doubt about that. I assume many cater to the toy hauler crowd and have plenty of space. My point was there are places with tons of room. Have seem plenty with 10+ large RVs in a big circle and no marked spaces.

I think the OP will do fine a couple years and adjust if needed.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Toy hauler? Many of these never go to an organized park. Rather they park in an open range area on BLM or similar land and pull out the toys and run the trails.

Not sure it would be much worse than a 45' class A pulling a second vehicle or trailer. I see plenty of these on the road.

Strange that we see many Toy Haulers in private, state and COE parks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot