cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

loading 5th wheel

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
got the 5th wheel all cleaned up, now time to move over all the Stuff from TT. I know I have more storage, bit not having a camper shell is different. already bumped my head on the 5th.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚
16 REPLIES 16

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
totally agree on the king pin being evil

In the MH world I have a different nemesis (side mirrors). I don't think I can count the number of times I leave my in-laws MH and take 3 steps out the door and around the front and whack! Full tilt impact into the side mirror.
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

K_sKamper
Explorer
Explorer
First trip out with our Fifth Wheel parked next to a MH with a sign on the Awning brace that said "Hit Head Here." Thought about getting a sign for my DH.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
That kingpin is unforgiving...doesn't budge an inch
Gee, ask me how I know!

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
I walk perfectly upright until within 10 feet of the 5th wheel, then I walk stooped over like a 90 year old person with osteoporosis. It is a defensive mechanism ๐Ÿ™‚

bdowling
Explorer
Explorer
A hat will help a bit. Early warning system and a slightly softer hit! lol
Brian & Christine
Cameo 34FWS
F450 Dually

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I thaght doing the king pin meant no iq.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

omextreme
Explorer
Explorer
With our kids running around at full tilt we opted for the king pin foam cover, Cheaper then stitches...

We also bought their corner guards for the slides as well.

Pin Box Foam Cover

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
If you think the slide corners are hard, wait until you try to duck under the overhang and whomp the top of your skull into the kingpin at a full trot. That'll knock about 40 IQ points right out onto the ground.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Pool noodles are cheap. Buy one and cut it to appropriate sizes and cut down one side of it. Slide these onto the corners of the slides and any other objects you might dent your brain with. My Open Range is grey. I got a light blue noodle. It doesn't really clash but it is enough difference to see it out of the corner of your eye. So the protection is there if I would bang my head on it. But due to the color difference I very seldom do.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Experience is the best teacher......
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about putting bumpers on ours when we set up camp, but after hitting my head HARD on the bedroom slide (dropped me to my knees) a year ago I now instinctively crouch whenever I'm near the slides...
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
that's funny, I didn`t tell any one about that because I thought I was the only one who kept hitting my head. You think I would learn after the first time!!!

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the bedroom slide out especially if it's over your wet bay, it will get you good. Luckily I'm only 5'6" but my poor son is 6'1" and I think he has a permanent dent in his head from the slide.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
My last camper was a fifth wheel. That thing hurts.
---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL