cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for snow advice - POSITIVE COMMENTS ONLY

fallonator22
Explorer
Explorer
Positive comments only because my last thread in regard to us being noobs and questions about propane got a lot of condescending answers.

OK - we are in southern Texas, looking to go to southern (Durango) Colorado for the christmas holiday. My question is about driving in the snow. Obviously in Texas you don't run into that problem. This is our first winter in the rig and would like to take it somewhere we can have a white christmas, but are a tad hesitant with driving it. Has regular street tires, as does the truck. It is a 40'6" sandpiper, and we have had no issues pulling so far, but in regular weather, or rain.

Any suggestions, comments, or advice from your own experience would be appreciated!
71 REPLIES 71

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
As the OP has not been back for a while, and the comments are getting to be somewhat contentious and repetitious, I am going to close this thread. Merry Christmas everyone!
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think OP just doesn't like or want to hear anything other than what he wants to hear.

I read the thread he was referring to as getting negative comments, and I really didn't see the condescending commentary he was referring to. Mostly people trying to help and give some advice.. same as this thread.

I suspect OP won't be back, at least probably not to this thread. He is getting advice, just not what he wants to hear. Therefore, it will likely be viewed as condescending as well.

It's a shame that some people can't accept advice or opinions contrary to what they want to hear.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Lantley wrote:
As Clint Eastwood once said. "A man's got to know his limitations".
Yes and it is too easy to project our own limitations on others.
I say go with caution and a reasonable mind.
Says someone from sunny California. ๐Ÿ™‚

Recommending that someone not pull their 40' 5th wheel in conditions that they have never even driven a car in is not projecting limitations, it's advising them to use common sense.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
Yes and it is too easy to project our own limitations on others.
I say go with caution and a reasonable mind.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
memtb wrote:
Iโ€™m reasonably certain that the OP understands โ€œrespectingโ€ the weather, or he would not have asked! The OP obviously understands his lack of experience and wanted some advice from someone โ€œwhoโ€™s been there - done thatโ€!

Iโ€™m relatively certain that weโ€™ve all had close calls on dry, sunny days....but we didnโ€™t stop driving/traveling on sunny days! We all face risks everyday, occasionally people choke to death on their meal, but we continue to eat... though some of us should โ€œtaper-offโ€ a bit! ๐Ÿ˜‰

If everyone stopped driving when there was a little weather, trucking commerce would stop.... and many of us would be naked and hungry! Not a very pretty picture! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Winter is a fact of life....you can deal with it or run from it. If we โ€œranโ€ every time we had a little snow/ice, we wouldnโ€™t get much done... such as hunting, ice fishing, or merely enjoying the โ€œ winter wonderlandโ€! Many of us want to experience it... not just see in a picture! :B

We are not suggesting the OP stop driving or give up camping.
Be we are suggesting he avoid traveling in snowy conditions.
For the most part the risk is not worth the reward.
Especially for a new RV'er with little to no snow driving experience.
Winter is a fact of life but so are accidents,jack knifes and vehicles in ditches caused by in-climate weather.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m reasonably certain that the OP understands โ€œrespectingโ€ the weather, or he would not have asked! The OP obviously understands his lack of experience and wanted some advice from someone โ€œwhoโ€™s been there - done thatโ€!

Iโ€™m relatively certain that weโ€™ve all had close calls on dry, sunny days....but we didnโ€™t stop driving/traveling on sunny days! We all face risks everyday, occasionally people choke to death on their meal, but we continue to eat... though some of us should โ€œtaper-offโ€ a bit! ๐Ÿ˜‰

If everyone stopped driving when there was a little weather, trucking commerce would stop.... and many of us would be naked and hungry! Not a very pretty picture! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Winter is a fact of life....you can deal with it or run from it. If we โ€œranโ€ every time we had a little snow/ice, we wouldnโ€™t get much done... such as hunting, ice fishing, or merely enjoying the โ€œ winter wonderlandโ€! Many of us want to experience it... not just see in a picture! :B
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ductape wrote:
Next time try asking for feedback from people who've done it. We have. All the necessary points about equipping yourself have been made.

This forum's loaded down with negative Nancy's and chicken little types (and they'll chip in no matter how you word your question). Have fun, not everyone in the world is afraid of winter.
Don't forget the sensible Sammy's, and wise Waldo's. Or even the thinking Theodore's. Big difference between being afraid of winter, and respecting its weather.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Next time try asking for feedback from people who've done it. We have. All the necessary points about equipping yourself have been made.

This forum's loaded down with negative Nancy's and chicken little types (and they'll chip in no matter how you word your question). Have fun, not everyone in the world is afraid of winter.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Some folks jump from โ€œperfectlyโ€ good airplanes, while others are terrified of step ladders. We all have different comfort levels!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Likes to tow wrote:
You wanted positive comments.......well we are sure you're making a big mistake....we're all positive about it!!

I was trying to think of something "positive" like that to say.

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
tom3171 wrote:
we live in the durango area before that we lived in the dallas area for 20 years and made many,many rv trips to durango. don't know where you live in southern texas but the best route without any mountain passes is as follows.. take i 35 north to 287 north to amarillo, then take i 40 west to albuquerque,nm.from albuquerque take i 25 /550 north to cuba,nm than on to durango. you will not be going over either raton or wolf creek pass. all the roads are open, wide with many lanes and many places to stop for gas/diesel and over nighting.dallas is about 861 miles from durango going this way with elevation gains of 350 ft in dallas to about 6500 in durango.so far this season we have no snow on the ground nor is any predicted for the next 10 days.so no white christmas . also be aware that very few if any campgrounds are open in this area -so check before starting out.
as an aside you could stay in the albuquerque area and drive to durango-about 4 hours in good weather.
e mail me if you want additional detailed info.

Good advice - and, positive, too!
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
Road salt will destroy your trailers undercarriage over a very short time.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

tom3171
Explorer
Explorer
we live in the durango area before that we lived in the dallas area for 20 years and made many,many rv trips to durango. don't know where you live in southern texas but the best route without any mountain passes is as follows.. take i 35 north to 287 north to amarillo, then take i 40 west to albuquerque,nm.from albuquerque take i 25 /550 north to cuba,nm than on to durango. you will not be going over either raton or wolf creek pass. all the roads are open, wide with many lanes and many places to stop for gas/diesel and over nighting.dallas is about 861 miles from durango going this way with elevation gains of 350 ft in dallas to about 6500 in durango.so far this season we have no snow on the ground nor is any predicted for the next 10 days.so no white christmas . also be aware that very few if any campgrounds are open in this area -so check before starting out.
as an aside you could stay in the albuquerque area and drive to durango-about 4 hours in good weather.
e mail me if you want additional detailed info.