cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loose roof rack standoffs

mdryden
Explorer
Explorer
My 07 HR next level has some loose standoffs where it attaches to the roof. After removing the sealant it appears that the factory doesn’t anchor these to the substructure , only through the rubber roof and thin plywood for the most part with the exception of one of the standoffs that was anchored to the substructure. I would like to replace all the short screws with longer ones that anchor to the structural components. Is this appropriate?
4 REPLIES 4

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
My attatchment screws all became loose, so I removed all of them and resealed the roof years ago. It was only decorative in my opinion, I'm glad all those potential leak spots are gone.
Brian

mdryden
Explorer
Explorer
I honestly only have used it a handful of times in the past and I thought of removing it but figured I might as well keep it since it was on the trailer from the factory.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Do you actually put stuff up there? If so, that's cool but just wondering because I've never seen anyone use that rack. :@
I've never used it on any trailer I've had so when they replaced my roof, I had them leave it off.
If you don't use yours maybe you should just remove and seal up the holes.
Just a thought.

Scott,

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, just make sure you don't go all the way thru the roof. Unless you know where the cross braces for the roof are located longer screws won't do any good.