cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Montana 5th wheel

dstephens
Explorer
Explorer
Once again I come to the forum for input (pro and con) on a particular make of 5th wheel. I don't want to start a war but the audience from this forum contains a wealth of knowledge.

I am looking at two different 5th wheels. One is a 2015 Cardinal 3030rs and the other is a NEW 2014 Montana 3150. I have been leaning toward the Cardinal until today. After very close inspection of the Cardinal, I don't feel that is is really put together very well. I have not been a fan of the Montana product in the past, but the unit we are looking at has a pot full of options and upgrades.
I would like to hear from anyone out there regarding quality, fit and finish etc. I have discovered that both trailers have much lower ground clearance that my 10 yr. old Jayco.
What say anyone.

Denverdale
2013 Silverado 2500HD
Ext. Cab/short bed
2005 Jayco 31RLS DESIGNER Fifth wheel
39 REPLIES 39

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
dstephens wrote:
Actually I don't think I am overweight with my current trailer. I am not sure I will be overweight with the Montana.
I will do some more research.
the truck is a heavy duty 3/4 ton. You may be correct with your numbers, they just don't make sense to me.

Thanks for the info.

Denverdale

It sounds like from your comment that you have never actually drove your rig across the scales. Understanding the whole weight issue can be confusing to say the least.

The next time you get a chance and are loaded to go camping run the truck/fiver across a scale at your local truck stop. It usually costs $10.00 and takes about 5 minutes. The weight ticket will break it all down and you can do some research later at home and figure out where you stand.

I have been slightly over on my hitch this year and have recently put my Montana "on a diet". We are leaving Florida next week and I will be running it across a scale to see if it made enough of a difference.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

allimax
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with those that say you will be overweight, but, as a member of the MOC, I can say for sure there are many Montanas being pulled around the countryside with 3/4 ton trucks that have the same weight limitations as yours. Now, that doesn't make it right and I wouldn't do it...but, just sayin'.
2010 Montana 3455SA
Mor/Ride kingpin, wet bolts, Progressive Ind. HW-50C EMS,TST 507RV TPMS, GY G614's
'07.5 Silverado D/A LMM 3500HD
Extended Cab DRW 4x4 LTZ
Bilstein, Reese R20, Banks Economind tuner, Speedbrake, RamAir, Monster exhaust

dstephens
Explorer
Explorer
Actually I don't think I am overweight with my current trailer. I am not sure I will be overweight with the Montana.
I will do some more research.
the truck is a heavy duty 3/4 ton. You may be correct with your numbers, they just don't make sense to me.

Thanks for the info.

Denverdale
2013 Silverado 2500HD
Ext. Cab/short bed

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
The weight numbers stated are correct. Just so you know and understand. You are gonna be way over but as many say.....It will pull it fine...
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
dstephens wrote:
According to Chevrolet, the payload rating on my truck is 2800 lbs. and the trailer weight rating is 16400 lbs.

I try to keep the GVWR below max. We don't usually tow with a full fresh water tank and the waste/gray tanks are usually empty. We are careful not to drag everything we own with us.

I do appreciate the warnings from all of you to watch the weight. We can never be to careful.

denverdale

2800# payload (total available before passengers, stuff, etc) .........and looking at 5th wheels with 2400/2500 'dry' pin weights.

16,400# tow rating....again this is a magical mfg. marketing rating which has 'fine' print that gives all kinds of deductions that have to be considered.

You will reach trucks GVWR/Actual Payload Rating, possibly RAWR and Rear tire Load Ratings LONG before EVER reaching that mfg. magical published tow rating.

Just pointing out the obvious.
No fun towing overweight as that leads to less towing which means less going camping because its no fun towing overweight
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
You already know you will be over the payload of that truck, and I suspect you already are with your current unit. That 2410 lb pin weight on an 3150RL will quickly turn into 3500 pin weight, because everything is on the axle or forward. Cargo alone will put you over.

My 2,580 lb advertised hitch weight is 4,320 lbs in reality when I carry water, over 3,480 just taking it to storage with no food, water or clothes.

The washer (if you decide to get one) sits ON the pin, so that is a direct couple of hundred pounds over what they advertise.

But you already know that.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

dstephens
Explorer
Explorer
According to Chevrolet, the payload rating on my truck is 2800 lbs. and the trailer weight rating is 16400 lbs.

I try to keep the GVWR below max. We don't usually tow with a full fresh water tank and the waste/gray tanks are usually empty. We are careful not to drag everything we own with us.

I do appreciate the warnings from all of you to watch the weight. We can never be to careful.

denverdale
2013 Silverado 2500HD
Ext. Cab/short bed

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We've had two Montana's. Very nice, both of them. The first one 2003 had some growing pains for a new company, the 2007 was a well built unit. We also looked at Cardinal.

You are getting some input about Montana Mountaineer, and Montana High Country - all different animals from the regular Montana. Even though they share the same name, very little about them is similar. Just thought I would let you know so you can compare apples to apples.

The lower clearance you are seeing is the Z-frame design Montana incorporated around 2008 or 2009 that drops the frame in the front to give you a huge storage area compared to the older ones. My 2007 was big, but the new ones are ginormous.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
dstephens wrote:
Sounds like most people are pleased with their Montana's.
Several of you have mentioned concern re the hitch weight. I have a 2013 Duramax 2500 HD. The listed hitch weight for the 3150Rl is 2410 and the cardinal is listed at 2550. That is below my trucks rated weight so I feel that is not an issue. My hitch is a pullrite 16000 lb slider so the overall weight is within limits. I intentionally shop for a unit that is within my weights limits and also not to long.

arcamper, your trailer sure looks great. The Montana I am looking at is a NEW 2014 3150RL so I can't pick any additional options. Main concern at this time is the quality and the price.

Thanks for the comments.
Denverdale

Those are 'dry' here pin weights............nothing like what the real wet pin weight will be when trailer is loaded up ready to go camping. Both of those pin weights will go up closer to 3000#.
Just saying...again don't know what your 2500 actual payload is.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
Montana no better no worse that any brand in the price range. Build quality is not number one in the Rv industry. Buy the floor plan and brand that suites you and hope for the best.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
No Montana. Bought new a 2012 Montana Mountaineer. Right out of the gate the electric part of the water heater went south. Fixed three times, only use the gas side now. Ride so rough it threw the turntable out of the micro wave and shattered it allover the kitchen. Rubber seal on bottom of shower door fixed twice. I would not buy another one.

dstephens
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like most people are pleased with their Montana's.
Several of you have mentioned concern re the hitch weight. I have a 2013 Duramax 2500 HD. The listed hitch weight for the 3150Rl is 2410 and the cardinal is listed at 2550. That is below my trucks rated weight so I feel that is not an issue. My hitch is a pullrite 16000 lb slider so the overall weight is within limits. I intentionally shop for a unit that is within my weights limits and also not to long.

arcamper, your trailer sure looks great. The Montana I am looking at is a NEW 2014 3150RL so I can't pick any additional options. Main concern at this time is the quality and the price.

Thanks for the comments.
Denverdale
2013 Silverado 2500HD
Ext. Cab/short bed

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
halfwright wrote:
We bought our 2007 Montana Mountaineer used. In 4 years of full timing, we have had one problem that was not self induced. The window in the bedroom broke and I have never found out why. I did not like the cheap spring shackles or original brakes, so I replaced both of those items. The dry nylon bushing spring shackles were replaced with Mor-Ryde wet bolts and the 6000 pound brakes with 7000 pound self adjusting. The interior has held up well. Of course, I am biased, but I do not think you can get a better fifth wheel for the money than Montana. There are better units out there, but the price difference is large.
The upgrade suspension on the Legacy gives you wet bolts, bronze bushings, half inch thick shackles, never adjust brakes and Morryde 4100 equalizer. This combined with the Goodyear 614's makes me feel pretty good going down the road and not worrying about tires coming apart. Also the rear cap on the Legacy looks really nice since the standard rear cap not is not attractive in my opinion.

2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
After ordering and taking delivery of our new Montana 3100 RL Legacy last week I can say I am very happy with the build quality and fit and finish. We looked at many trailers from many builders before going with the Montana. The new DRV Tradition we looked at was not any better as far as fit and finish than the Montana. So far the only issue is a Thedford toilet that won't hold water. One option I would recommend is the G rated Goodyear tires. They are nice but pricey and of course you can add them yourself. So far we are impressed and happy with the unit. FYI our pin weight with a washer and dryer is 3002 lbs and that's the smallest trailer Montana makes. Feel free to ask any more questions.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

halfwright
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our 2007 Montana Mountaineer used. In 4 years of full timing, we have had one problem that was not self induced. The window in the bedroom broke and I have never found out why. I did not like the cheap spring shackles or original brakes, so I replaced both of those items. The dry nylon bushing spring shackles were replaced with Mor-Ryde wet bolts and the 6000 pound brakes with 7000 pound self adjusting. The interior has held up well. Of course, I am biased, but I do not think you can get a better fifth wheel for the money than Montana. There are better units out there, but the price difference is large.
Jim and Darlene Wright
Ryder, the Ethiopian monkey beaver dog
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 Ford F250