cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Montana

BoomerZ
Explorer
Explorer
Will be retiring in a year or so and have started looking for a 5th wheel that we would eventually full time in. Really like the layout and features of the Montana 3120RL. Just curious if anyone has experience with this model or a similar one. Hoping to go with a 1 ton SRW standard box diesel for the tow vehicle. (I'll raise that question in the Tow Vehicle section.)

Thanks,
Phil
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Short Box 5.9 CTD
2005 Rockwood 8318SS
01 Harley FXDWG2 Limited Edition
17 REPLIES 17

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 3455 which was almost the same floor plan.
Snowbirded in it for a few years.
Very few problems and enjoyed the floor plan.
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

BoomerZ
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Check out Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS. Opposing slides in rear, fireplace, big TV, free standing dinette, Washer/Dryer hookups, east/west facing bed, huge walk in closet in front, island in the kitchen, well insulated, well built.

Thanks for the info. We are in the research stage right now so we appreciate all recommendations. Looked at that unit previously, liked the floor plan and the lighter pin weight. Unfortunately we came across the Montana 3120RL and now everything else seems to pale in comparison LOL. A few features we like over the GD are:

-More counter space around gas range top and the pop up power ports
-Larger TV in the rear living area
-Overhead led lighting
-Larger expandable dinette with pop up power ports
-32" bedroom TV
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

BoomerZ
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
3120RL not listed(at least I didn't see it) under floorplans, but listed under specs. Did I miss something?

It's listed under Montana floor plans. The first one.

http://www.keystonerv.com/montana/
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
B.O. Plenty wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Phil,
There's a member here that owns a Montana that had a lippert frame crack. His experience to get Montana to fix the problem was a circus show to put it mildly. Other manufacturers maybe just as bad, but why take the risk.

Good luck on your search...
Almost every trailer has a Lippert frame. Many have had problems with cracking near the front upper deck. Mostly on 2008-2011 or so models. Haven't heard of many recently. I know of a couple that Lippert took care of with no questions. You pays your money, you take your chances.

B.O.

Our camper has a Lippert frame as well. The problem was how Montana handled the problem and not Lippert.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
topjimmy wrote:
GD's Solitude line is on Montana's level

Yes, however the Montana ordered correctly can we had with a rear cap, where as that is not in GD's play book even on their upper scale Solitude.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman you are kinda off on this one nothing wrong with a GD Reflection BUT the Reflection is comparable to Keystones Cougar line a few steps below the Montana line in many ways ,GD's Solitude line is on Montana's level
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS. Opposing slides in rear, fireplace, big TV, free standing dinette, Washer/Dryer hookups, east/west facing bed, huge walk in closet in front, island in the kitchen, well insulated, well built.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
3120RL not listed(at least I didn't see it) under floorplans, but listed under specs. Did I miss something?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
That model is one of a few Montana's that have light enough pin weight for newer 350/3500 SRW trucks. Down side, you can not get into the refer with the side in.

We looked at it, but ended up with a Bighorn 3575el, which we really like. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

CaptnJohn
Explorer
Explorer
There have been more than 100,000 Montanas built. No other model has seen a fraction of that number. Only one minor problem with my 2017 that I'll take care of when / if the weather warms in 2018.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned and fulltimed in 3 of them a 2004 ,2012 and my 2015 and all have been good to me with minimal problems so I keep buying them they have always been the best "bang for the buck" 5er out there for me like better pin boxes better suspensions,quality TV's and sound systems,lots of innovative floor plans for just about anybody etc.. do they make some Lemons ???? Yep but when you sell as many 5er's as Montana you here about it more.. just my experience
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2016 Montana 3100 RL has been great and never back to the dealer. One person on here I know of has had a Montana frame problem but it was fixed even though it took a while. I will let Fish tell us what brand has never had a single frame problem. Montana can make a lemon, so can Ford. I agree with what BO said, pay your money and take your chances.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Phil,
There's a member here that owns a Montana that had a lippert frame crack. His experience to get Montana to fix the problem was a circus show to put it mildly. Other manufacturers maybe just as bad, but why take the risk.

Good luck on your search...
Almost every trailer has a Lippert frame. Many have had problems with cracking near the front upper deck. Mostly on 2008-2011 or so models. Haven't heard of many recently. I know of a couple that Lippert took care of with no questions. You pays your money, you take your chances.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Might consider something bigger for full time. Another 9 or 10 feet will add a lot to your living and storage area. Believe me.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter