cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mopar 20 K hitch issue

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had an 18 K Reese for years and was happy with it it pivitoed front to back and side to side.
Our 2016 came fifth ready so I sold the Reese and bought the Mopar 20 K. Only to discover it only pivots front to back.
Several times now trying to unhook it binds and I cannot pull away without having help.
Prying with a bar and using bad language...etc.
Was this a bad choice.
It would seem that if the truck is not near perfectly level with the trailer it will not release.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
11 REPLIES 11

rtyauch301
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 17 year old hitch without side to side pivot leave some weight on the truck befire you try pulling the pin shoukd slide easy then also make sure your tight against the trailer so no pressure no pressure is on the jaws

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Mopar 25k, I have found when unhitching after having the wheels chocked, I have wife in the truck with the transmission in nuetral and the parking brake released, I start raising the trailer of the fifth wheel hitch, until the weight comes of the truck, the truck will move just a bit, if I cannot pull the release, I have wife put the truck in reverse and let it apply pressure against the pin, then the release will pull very easily, and I let wife drive out from under the pin. As said above, sometimes you need to unload the jaws by backing into the pin. Also, you can raise the trailer too far as well putting the pin in a bind with the jaws. I raise it just far enough to see movement between the hitch and pin.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I would highly advise selling the hitch and buying this as you will love the way it performs all around with NO question if you are hitched. Easy hitching and unhitching at off level and with truck at an angle to the RV.

I would not keep a hitch that did not meet my expectations. Yes, sell it, and purchase one pictured. The B&W cam style lever operated jaws will open easily with locking pin removed. It cannot open with arm closed and locking pin installed. Simple, but very reliable!

Jerry

If a person is not confident and struggles with hitching and unhitching this can be the result!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
ivbinconned wrote:

Our 2016 came fifth ready so I ....bought the Mopar 20 K. Only to discover it only pivots front to back.
Several times now trying to unhook it binds and I cannot pull away without having help.

It's identical to the Curt Q20 hitch. I have the same hitch and it does have movement to the sides. It's not floppy, free movement because I think there are rubber bushings have hold it in place, but it does pivot a little.

Here's a link to the Curt Q20 Instructions.

KJ

Exactly. It actually pivots in all directions (360) because of the design of the head. As others have said just make sure there is no pressure on the hitch jaws and it will release without problems. I have had mine for 4 years now and it is fine.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Prying with a bar and using bad language...etc.
Was this a bad choice.
It would seem that if the truck is not near perfectly level with the trailer it will not release.

This was typical with all brands of 5th wheel hitches before the industry gave us the 4 way pivoting hitch and has nothing to do with a particular brand.
It was necessary to level the truck with the trailer pretty close to get hooked up or unhooked.
I carried a 3' crow bar in the trailers front storage compartment as many campgrounds didn't have leveled sites to park a rv on.

My advise would be to sell the hitch and purchase a 4 way pivoting hitch of your choice.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I would highly advise selling the hitch and buying this as you will love the way it performs all around with NO question if you are hitched. Easy hitching and unhitching at off level and with truck at an angle to the RV.

I would not keep a hitch that did not meet my expectations. Yes, sell it, and purchase one pictured. The B&W cam style lever operated jaws will open easily with locking pin removed. It cannot open with arm closed and locking pin installed. Simple, but very reliable!

Jerry

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that you don't have pressure on the jaws. Helped a family in across the street at a campground last fall with a Mopar hitch. Made sure all pressure was off the jaws, handle pulled easy. But this was on a level site.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
CURT makes the MOPAR hitches and MANY have reported hitching issues and chucking because the heads pivot point is several inches below the kingpin jaw connection height.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:

Our 2016 came fifth ready so I ....bought the Mopar 20 K. Only to discover it only pivots front to back.

It's identical to the Curt Q20 hitch. I have the same hitch and it does have movement to the sides. It's not floppy, free movement because I think there are rubber bushings have hold it in place, but it does pivot a little.

Here's a link to the Curt Q20 Instructions.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I don't own a Mopar hitch and know nothing about them but that is one reason I bought my B&W years ago for the very reason that it would pivot both directions for the exact reason you brought up among another one or two related to that. I personally would not own one that didn't regardless of brand.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who makes the mopar hitch? I doubt mopar does maybe curt or reese? if so I would reach out to them.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside