cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Tire Problems

SMarquez
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Needles, CA yesterday, had 2 Carlisle tires let go. 1 spare only. This was at the 29 Palms/Amboy exit. With only one spare, after contacting Big O Tires I decided to limp back into Needles since they were wanting to close early. That was a scarey ride at 20 MPH on I40. I made it back in time to have them mount 4 new China bombs to get home. The two remaining tires had tread separation and one was starting to chunk. The tires were 5 years old and on the trailer nearly 4 years and had low miles, probably less than 1500 miles. Everything I've read here and other sites all basically say the same thing. Replace every 3 years or expect problems. I've read about the Maxxis tires and they don't seem to cost anymore than any other brand, so what is the big deal? Do they last longer or are they being replaced every 3 years. Does anyone have any long term reports on the Maxxis ST8008 tires?
Weekend Warrior 23' Superlite.
Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

philaura
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
philaura wrote:
I know I am late to the party, but I recently replaced my 16" tires with 19.5 G rated Boar Wheels and Tires. Bolt right on. They are relatively inexpensive. Numerous cattle ranchers and industrial haulers around here do not have the time or patience to put up with blow outs, so many are switching to this tire/wheel combination in lieu of carrying 2 or 3 spare tires. And if you have ever followed one on the freeway they pull in excess of 70+ MPH.
The tires ARE made in China. However you should look at them compared to regular trailer tires. Their sidewall is extremely thick and rigid and lower profile so the tires do not "flex" when they turn, so much as "skid." They are rated for 70,000 miles and can be retread. I believe there is a Youtube video out there somewhere.
Those same cattle ranchers mentioned started putting them on their 5th wheels with great success. 110 PSI just about maxes by air compressor.
I noticed an increased smoothness in pulling that is difficult to fully describe, but so far, so good. If I ever have any problems with them I will post it to this forum.

maybe a link to these? Never heard of Boar

Here you go: http://www.boarwheel.com/
2017 Genesis Supreme 32CR toyhauler pulled by a 2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 CC 4x4 LTZ Dually longbed with an Anderson Hitch.

Badhabt
Explorer
Explorer
Starting on year 6 on the maxxis M8008 15" load range E's on my Raptor. original Carlisles lasted 5 years before one blew over the 4th of July in 2011. The maxxis have no sidewall cracking, never lost more than 5 pounds of air over the off months sitting. Much more square shouldered than the Carlisles. I am very pleased with them. (knock on wood, throws salt over shoulder)
06 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Dually Tow Boss
07 Raptor 3612DS
06 Raptor 700R 50th Anniv Edition - mine
06 Wolverine 450 - wifes
13 Can Am Spyder ST-Limited - more mine
14 Can Am Spyder RT-S - more hers

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
It would help if the OP would come back and give us his trailers GVWR or axle capacities or OEM tire size and load range.

Personally I would rather spend 150-175 bucks for a 16" LT E tire that will last 7-10 years and 40k-60k miles than replace a 120-140 ST tire every 3-5 years. Now what size/type/capacity/brand tire the OP needs we simply don't know.
He sure don't need a load G tire with 4k-6k capacity on a trailer with under 6k axles.
Help us out here Steve.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
philaura wrote:
I know I am late to the party, but I recently replaced my 16" tires with 19.5 G rated Boar Wheels and Tires. Bolt right on. They are relatively inexpensive. Numerous cattle ranchers and industrial haulers around here do not have the time or patience to put up with blow outs, so many are switching to this tire/wheel combination in lieu of carrying 2 or 3 spare tires. And if you have ever followed one on the freeway they pull in excess of 70+ MPH.
The tires ARE made in China. However you should look at them compared to regular trailer tires. Their sidewall is extremely thick and rigid and lower profile so the tires do not "flex" when they turn, so much as "skid." They are rated for 70,000 miles and can be retread. I believe there is a Youtube video out there somewhere.
Those same cattle ranchers mentioned started putting them on their 5th wheels with great success. 110 PSI just about maxes by air compressor.
I noticed an increased smoothness in pulling that is difficult to fully describe, but so far, so good. If I ever have any problems with them I will post it to this forum.

maybe a link to these? Never heard of Boar
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

philaura
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Genesis Supreme 32CR toyhauler pulled by a 2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 CC 4x4 LTZ Dually longbed with an Anderson Hitch.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
You did not mention what size tires you have, but if there is any way to switch from "ST" (special trailer) tires to "LT" (light truck) tires, your problems will go away.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your problem, I think, is you have few choices to upgrade and fit larger wheels and load range E or G tires. If you currently have load range C maybe you can go to D in a Maxxis or GY Endurance tire. Otherwise, closely watch the China bombs and change them out regardless after three years.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
noteven wrote:

Bridgestone R250
I would have suggested that (I have 6 on my rig) but I believe he has 15" wheels and R250s don't come in 15s.

Buy new wheels.

Both of my haulers came with 15" wheels/tires.
I changed out to 16".
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
noteven wrote:

Bridgestone R250
I would have suggested that (I have 6 on my rig) but I believe he has 15" wheels and R250s don't come in 15s.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bridgestone R250

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I've been saying it for years.
LT tires are the only way to go.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
SMarquez wrote:
Does anyone have any long term reports on the Maxxis ST8008 tires?
> 46 Month old Maxxis tire

I went with the new Goodyear Endurance for at least a superior speed rating.
Not saying MAXXIS is a bad tire but not much better for me on my trailer.

If you can fit 16" by all means get LT tires. Either way I recommend tires rated to carry the full trailer GVWR.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Over 30 rv website members have reported issues with their Maxxis ST8008 tires. Their a bit dated as all sizes don't have the tread stability belt and their still 65 mph speed rated. Speed rating is about the tire ability to cope with heat.

I would look at the new gen Carlisle HD.....or Goodyears new Endurance....or the Provider by Taskmaster if your wanting to stick with a ST tire. All are L and M speed rated (75-81 mph).
The Providers have been around the trailer industry for 6-7 years now and some say they are OEM on larger trailers. They seem to go the distance.
Your Carlisle are the old style even before the much improved RH series. The Carlisle HD has been out for about a year.
The Endurance is a new ST tire that replaces Goodyears very old Marathons

And of course depending on your tire size and load range and axle rating a quality LT would be the best upgrade for 40k-60k miles and 7-10 years.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Both of the Carlisles failed within 2 years and <10,000 mile on my boat trailer. I replace then with Nanco tires. Not Chinese, but made somewhere in SE Asia. They have been perfect for over 15 years !