cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mounting a TV

Ray-EOD
Explorer
Explorer
I want to mount a 32 in TV over the walk through exit door in the garage of a Torque 380. This will be mounted on the inside of the outer wall. I have found the metal studs in the wall where I want to mount the TV and cut a 32 x 26 board to mount the TV mounting brackets to. My question is; what is the best screws\bolts to use to mount the board to the wall with? I know that the screws\bolts cannot be over 1 1/2 inch and they have to be metal to go into the studs, but what can I use to be sure the TV stays on the wall, while moving\towing and not damage the RV structure?
Thanks for any help you may offer.
Ray
15 REPLIES 15

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
I have had really good luck with everything I bought from monoprice. Cables and even a battery backup (UPS) has worked well from them. All my home and trailer TV mounts are from monoprice.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

Y-Guy
nayther wrote:
tchil wrote:
Also Monoprice has great TV mounts in any style you could imagine cheap.

just checked that website...........WOW! I never knew there were that many mount types, all kinds of idea now.

I've used Monoprice for years, most of their stuff is of good quality. All of my TVs at home and ones in our RV have monoprice mounts. I laugh when I seen the price of others at the stores around here. Highway robbery compared to monoprice.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
tchil wrote:
Also Monoprice has great TV mounts in any style you could imagine cheap.

just checked that website...........WOW! I never knew there were that many mount types, all kinds of idea now.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
I will add when I did mine I took a grinder with a flap wheel (Sandpaper) and removed the plastic coating on the wall so you end up with wood. Once you do that then use the wood glue and screws you should have a really nice permanent installation. I got some nice wood to match my cabinets and stained it, even though it is behind the tv. Also Monoprice has great TV mounts in any style you could imagine cheap. I have one that pulls out 2 feet and tilts and use a bungee from behind to keep it closed in transit.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Ray-EOD wrote:
I want to mount a 32 in TV over the walk through exit door in the garage of a Torque 380. This will be mounted on the inside of the outer wall. I have found the metal studs in the wall where I want to mount the TV and cut a 32 x 26 board to mount the TV mounting brackets to. My question is; what is the best screws\bolts to use to mount the board to the wall with? I know that the screws\bolts cannot be over 1 1/2 inch and they have to be metal to go into the studs, but what can I use to be sure the TV stays on the wall, while moving\towing and not damage the RV structure?
Thanks for any help you may offer.
Ray

Trying to PM you in response to your PM to me but I am getting a reject since I am not in your Buddy List. 2chiefsRus
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Ray-EOD
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All, great tips. I will pre-drill and glue.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
The TV didnt fit on the stud for placement but was between. I spanned the area with a piece of birch plywood, then mounted to that. Works perfectly!
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
Just curious, but why are you going to use a 32 x 26 board ?

An Oak project board 1 x 6 x needed length spanning studs from HD or Lowes would suffice & still allow for the Vesa mount.

I mounted a TV using a 1X6 and attached a TV mount to the board. It worked well.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Do not use dry wall screws. They are too brittle and tend to break. Instead, get some deck screws.

They would work just fine. They are also designed for metal studs. You would be surprised to see how many trades use them for all kinds of construction projects.

Either fine or course thread would work. I would use coarse thread for what you are doing. I would pre drill the board so the screws don't thread into the board. The points on the drywall screws will penetrate the studs no problem.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, but why are you going to use a 32 x 26 board ?

An Oak project board 1 x 6 x needed length spanning studs from HD or Lowes would suffice & still allow for the Vesa mount.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
momentum rv wrote:
I would use small lag screws. Make a small pilot hole in the metal studs and the lags will thread right in. Maybe 6 total.

^^THIS^^
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not use dry wall screws. They are too brittle and tend to break. Instead, get some deck screws.

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I would use small lag screws. Make a small pilot hole in the metal studs and the lags will thread right in. Maybe 6 total.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

Ray-EOD
Explorer
Explorer
David,
Thanks for the info, didn't think about gluing the board to the wall, good suggestion. Can you use regular drywall screws on metal studs or do they make drywall screws for metal studs?