cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mud Flaps vs 5th Wheel Vortex

dedmiston

This question feels a little tinfoil-hat-ish, but…

We’ve been towing a high profile 5er for years and I’m pretty good about strapping down things in the bed because the vortex in the truck bed will blow things around and even suck them out of the truck bed.

We recently towed a shorter 5er with a lower nose and the vortex was more extreme. While part of me doesn’t care since my load is secured, the different air dynamics are driving one of my dogs insane and she’s visibly distressed while we drive.

I’m looking for ways to reduce the vortex and I overheard someone mention mud flaps as a cure but I couldn’t ask them for more info.

Has anyone here heard anything to support this? Or does anyone have any ideas?

My only other idea is to wrap a few straps around my tailgate to hold down the plastic rail cap, because I can see it flutter while we drive. I can’t think of anything else that would be creating a sound that’s driving one of our dogs insane.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
3 REPLIES 3

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

air tabs along the rear edge of the truck get rid of it, but then you have them on the truck to look at. 

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

I do not have an answer, BUT really doubt mud flaps would help with anything other than keeping some stones and or debris off the lower front of the fiver.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

The mudflap idea may help some. It might cut down on air being forced against the lower part of 5th-wheel and back towards the truck-bed. Adding a wind deflector on the roof of the pickup may help too.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29